3Shape or Exo

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
So all iOS scans come in colour to exo?
Dunno...we only get Trios and Carestream scans, the only time I'd make use of color scans is to help define the margin

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
So all iOS scans come in colour to exo?
Depends on the scanner's capabilities.
Trios, Carestream, Planmeca capture and can export color scans. Not sure if Sirona IO scans can be imported into exo in color.

Maybe someone here knows?

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Im lost. Explain just a bit please.
Hi Bob, you have to have seen this before, grey card in pic and utilizing. L.A.B. values for color determination.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
$450 for a shade match sounds about right.
More like 450.00 saved. It gives you the ability to basically do a digital try-in and verify. I started down this path many years ago with ClearMatch, this is far more concise. As we should all know, we can make 4 mistakes in color before only 1 in value. This methodology enables us to accurately measure L = Luminessence of an object, B = amount of Red in same, B = amount of Yellow. Since dental shades register in the yellow- red color space it's a matter of adjusting those values by those adding pigments to match the desired LAB values.

You can photograph your actual porcelain shade fired samples ie A1-D4 or 0M1-5M1 and read your bottles actual LAB #'s. Shade guides vary significantly by each guide, our powders also by the bottle. As Dr. Jack Preston once noted, " There's more color control in Kraft Cheese than color control in dentistry."

This methodology takes human perspective out and gives you a reproducible target #. Hope this helps, it has helped me understand a lot more of what I thought I already knew[emoji6]

https://www.emulation.me/products/white_balance-gray-reference-card-for-dental-photography

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
More like 450.00 saved. It gives you the ability to basically do a digital try-in and verify. I started down this path many years ago with ClearMatch, this is far more concise. As we should all know, we can make 4 mistakes in color before only 1 in value. This methodology enables us to accurately measure L = Luminessence of an object, B = amount of Red in same, B = amount of Yellow. Since dental shades register in the yellow- red color space it's a matter of adjusting those values by those adding pigments to match the desired LAB values.

You can photograph your actual porcelain shade fired samples ie A1-D4 or 0M1-5M1 and read your bottles actual LAB #'s. Shade guides vary significantly by each guide, our powders also by the bottle. As Dr. Jack Preston once noted, " There's more color control in Kraft Cheese than color control in dentistry."

This methodology takes human perspective out and gives you a reproducible target #. Hope this helps, it has helped me understand a lot more of what I thought I already knew[emoji6]

https://www.emulation.me/products/white_balance-gray-reference-card-for-dental-photography

Sorry, typo... A= Red, B = Yellow [emoji20]

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
EXOCAD

there is more functions and you dont have to follow a certain format or protocol. With exocad the user can still give the restoration their "Artistic touch" just as if they were doing the porcelain at a bench, as with 3Shape you just go through the wizard and you end up with an acceptable crown. I feel you can get more "realistic look" using EXOCAD because of all the extra features and the way you can add and remove meshes/scan data. Also the correlation function seems to be a little more accurate with EXOCAD.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Depends on the scanner's capabilities.
Trios, Carestream, Planmeca capture and can export color scans. Not sure if Sirona IO scans can be imported into exo in color.

Maybe someone here knows?

not that im aware of

N

NYJHL

Reaction score
I wonder if there is anyway you can key-bind restoration type/material in the exoDB

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I wonder if there is anyway you can key-bind restoration type/material in the exoDB
Can you explain your thought a little more? You want a certain material for certain restoration?

N

NYJHL

Reaction score
Say I bind F12 to choose "Anatomic Crown > Zirconia" to create order forms in a matter of seconds
F11 as Adjacent
F10 Antagonist etc
I guess a macro? lol

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Write out your thoughts as clearly as possible and send your idea to [email protected]
They are pretty receptive to end user suggestions.

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
Just got a look at a newer scanner. Its called the "NEWAY" by open technologies. Its a pretty nice scanner. It scans in color and picks up everything(meaning it shows color of your model and even shows any words or numbers you write on model will show up in color too" its pretty cool. The software is nice too. Correlation of meshes and scans is fast a pretty accurate. Has a big interface so you can scan models on any articulator system and dont have to 'Knock models off to scan". The only thing we found when using it was it sometimes crashes out if you dont have a good enough computer to handle scanning and designing, because it seems like the scanner uses alot of PC resources when scanning and going through the wizard, but definaley a good scanner. We currently use the REVENG by open technologies which is a really nice scanner. Also EXOCAD has a "true smile" function which lets you toggle the teeth to show them as "realistic looking" so when designing you can actually design as if it was a really looking tooth instead of a generic solid color.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Just got a look at a newer scanner. Its called the "NEWAY" by open technologies. Its a pretty nice scanner. It scans in color and picks up everything(meaning it shows color of your model and even shows any words or numbers you write on model will show up in color too" its pretty cool. The software is nice too. Correlation of meshes and scans is fast a pretty accurate. Has a big interface so you can scan models on any articulator system and dont have to 'Knock models off to scan". The only thing we found when using it was it sometimes crashes out if you dont have a good enough computer to handle scanning and designing, because it seems like the scanner uses alot of PC resources when scanning and going through the wizard, but definaley a good scanner. We currently use the REVENG by open technologies which is a really nice scanner. Also EXOCAD has a "true smile" function which lets you toggle the teeth to show them as "realistic looking" so when designing you can actually design as if it was a really looking tooth instead of a generic solid color.
Did you get a chance to look at the mesh, or just the skin? Id like to know how dense the scan actually is. How sharp does a margin appear?

deadhead

deadhead

Reaction score
from what I saw and from what other technicians who actually used it on a regular bases said that the meshes looked pretty clean. The triangles look good and not all weird and didnt have any inverted triangles. Margin lines came out pretty defined. Not sure on the exact resolution of triangle ratio but the meshes looked pretty dense. Definately used alot of triangles for data. EXOCAD had no issues finding margin lines and even after printing models margin lines came out pretty crisp. the only bad thing was that the software would crash out sometimes. Not sure if its the computer we are using or if its the software, but other than that, We havent had to change any design parameters so the scans are coming out just like out scans from the REVENG scanner that we are using, and seems to scan a little faster than the reveng and the correlation of meshes seems pretty accurate. Havent heard about any issues once it hits the bench for final touching.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
"Whats the deal with Exocad?!" Whats it going to take? We want you using our software. We can give you a great deal on a scanner, but if you like yours that much, we can still have you running our software with it.

Like I said in another post, 3shape is getting desperate. The same reason CHL didnt get that call 2 years ago, they were raking in $$$. This is capitalism at work, if they dont drop their fees, they cant compete. The scanner and software do the same thing. (re: exo and 3shape)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Like I said in another post, 3shape is getting desperate. The same reason CHL didnt get that call 2 years ago, they were raking in $$$. This is capitalism at work, if they dont drop their fees, they cant compete. The scanner and software do the same thing. (re: exo and 3shape)
like, and agree.

they got so wrapped up resting on their laurels they forgot their vision or couldn't/didn't/wouldn't hear new vision from within or without.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
We're looking to switch CAD systems from Dental Wings to something else. A BIG priority is being able to scan impressions, run through a model builder, and print. Which platform is better at this between Exo and 3Shape?

3Shape. Going to cost you more, but it's easier to work with in my opinion.

Top Bottom