3d printer for dental use recommendation

G

ghostxshell

Reaction score
Hello to all dental technicians and digitechs.

Can someone recommend a 3d printer for dental use?
I wish all in one printer is available but to handle all dental needs seems not quite possible yet.
currently, i've only seem objet connex printer and eden series for dental use.
Also what softwares are available to utilize 3d printer?
Thanks!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Image Dental Arts in NC is selling a nice printer. Mark is owner.

That printer was around $90k and now selling for under $40k.

I have Two for sale as well. I buy and sell them, and repair them.

One is $30k 32um resolution and a lower resolution is $8k.

Lower resolution is great for models and splints and surgical guides. Some people also use that for C&B patterns. It is about 64um resolution.

Currently have Four myself.

Forget Objet! No good.

3d Systems is much better resolution and better for casting/pressing, or anything?

I have unlocked my printers to accept FDA approved material for bite-splints and surgical guides, or various Model materials, or any other material in many colors.

804-285-0777 "Scotty"

I'm in Richmond VA

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
my 30 u objet prints look good to me. idk why you'd say avoid objet.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No planerizer mechanism at all to flatten each layer and "mop-up" excess material before next layer.

Material has no wax in it.

Material is jetted out cold and is liquid at room temps. The jetted out material moves around a little before getting cured.

By contrast, the 3d Systems printers must heat both materials because they contain real wax, and droplets "Freeze" when land in place.

3d Systems printer material burns out easier, due to having a good percentage wax in it.

There is no reason to argue with me on this. There is no argument. I am correct.

Objet is a very cheap imitation of the 3d Systems technology, minus a bunch of things!

G

ghostxshell

Reaction score
which 3d printer model would you recommend to handle complex restorations?
which means accuracy over speed and be able to handle dental software needs.
I do not plan to mass produce using 3d printer but be able to produce accurate model, wax or similar material that can be burn out and cast/press.
also, does 3d systems print multi materials? (skulls, bones with clear material, or vein, etc)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the printers arent for sale yet. stratasys has not announced pricing.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Wonder if they had 'em at LMT west. Didn't see it in Chicago.

WDM,... not just FDM ? Very specific man!

I guess they started it so they can call it whatever they want

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Lower resolution is great for models and splints and surgical guides

I have not seen any material for long term use for splints only short term use for surgical guides. I would like to know if there is such a material in clear because I do a lot of splints and think printing them would be much more productive than milling them.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have not seen any material for long term use for splints only short term use for surgical guides. I would like to know if there is such a material in clear because I do a lot of splints and think printing them would be much more productive than milling them.

Visijet crystal is fine for this.

What bite splint is worn long-term? Nobody keeps One in their mouth 24/7..?

Usually just to sleep in, right?

This past weekend I finally have my Visijet Crystal printer running correctly.

Want to see One?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Its a bit of a holy grail I suppose a clear material that is approved for medium to long time regular use in the mouth.
Short term is no issue at the moment, that's been around for a while. Med/long term is still a bit shaky...

There are a bunch of issues I suppose, one being UV calibration so that the materials are optimally cured if not then who knows what could possibly leach out.
What I do know is uncured material is hazardous.

Scott could well know more about this than most of us, but it appears that 3D Systems are a bit non-committal.

http://www.3dsystems.com/fr/support/materials/class-vi-certification

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
It is up to the customer (printer operator) to follow the exact procedure for cleaning the post-cured material.

Three baths of IPA...if not, then ?? all bets are off.

3d Systems is only trying to cover their butts in case someone does not follow this procedure.
It cannot be controled by 3dSystems...that's all Terry.

UV is measured the entire time of printing in 3d systems printers. No worries that something is not cured.
The machine would stop, and abort the print if not enough UV power.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Good to know all this stuff, thanks. What machine are you printing Crystal on?
How was the move?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
which 3d printer model would you recommend to handle complex restorations?
which means accuracy over speed and be able to handle dental software needs.
I do not plan to mass produce using 3d printer but be able to produce accurate model, wax or similar material that can be burn out and cast/press.
also, does 3d systems print multi materials? (skulls, bones with clear material, or vein, etc)

Well, there is no one printer that can do it all with the accuracy you're requesting.

To be able to print models with the 3D Systems printers, you'll need a MP-Model Printer.

To get the accuracy you need for crowns and copings, you'll need a model SD, HD, HD Plus,

HD MAX, or DP. It truly depends on how much money you want to spend because all of

these printers are great. I just did two months of research and had some benchmark

prints done for me from both Stratasys and 3D Systems. I ended up going with the 3510

HD Plus because of the accuracy. The accuracy on small dental parts is amazing! I haven't

tried the DP materail vs the ProCast material yet. Scotty can tell you how those two burn out,

but I'm sure they both work fine with burning out since they're designed for casting.

You can get a multi-layering printer from 3D Systems, but you will not be using the same

technology as the 3510 uses. No where near as accurate either. They have them available for

customers, but they use a plastic powder material.

That being said, the 260 Connex we looked at was a great machine, just not capable of the accuracy

we're looking for on the smaller envelope prints that we will mostly be printing. It has it's uses, just

not for small applications where accuracy matters. Plus the 260 Connex was much more expensive

than my 3510 HD Plus.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Kent, we open-up 3dS printers to accept any material.

You do NOT need to purchase an MP printer for models. Not at all.

Printing models with any 3d systems material works just fine as well, you really do not need the MP material.

There are many other choices of 3dS material just as cheap, and can be used for lost-wax casting, so no need to change material.

Print everything at same time.

The MP printer has same resolution as the high-resolution printers. All of them are same stupid machine with different stickers on the front, once you open up the materials.

Does not matter what it started out it's life as. Same/Same.....

All can be changed to have whatever build-style you want.

You want to open your current printer to do anything?

Can do!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Kent, we open-up 3dS printers to accept any material.

You do NOT need to purchase an MP printer for models. Not at all.

Printing models with any 3d systems material works just fine as well, you really do not need the MP material.

There are many other choices of 3dS material just as cheap, and can be used for lost-wax casting, so no need to change material.

Print everything at same time.

The MP printer has same resolution as the high-resolution printers. All of them are same stupid machine with different stickers on the front, once you open up the materials.

Does not matter what it started out it's life as. Same/Same.....

All can be changed to have whatever build-style you want.

You want to open your current printer to do anything?

Can do!

Scott,

From a normal consumer, not as yourself, these are his options. I know that you've

successfully hacked the systems and have been for a long time. But if he wants to

buy from someone else besides you, then this is what he will need to consider.

Now, once my contract is up, we will speak about hacking ours to be able to get

it to print all the materials. I know they're all the same machines with specific

firmware that prohibits certain functions. Just one more way for 3D Systems

to make more money. I'll give you a shout in about a year for us to upgrade

the internal PC as well as hacking it to print all materials. Trust me, I've already

thought about you after our purchase. Patience grasshopper! ;):cool:

Dominick

Dominick

Reaction score
Whichever printer you do decide to go with..the most important thing is to ensure the seller provides adequate support...because the printer will go down...yes 3dsystems printer are great...but its the resller you will be communicating the most with...3shape is the best software out so far but again...they7 provide barely any support...it is your reseller...so after you have decided what printer to you will purchase...find out your different reseller options and do your research on them

G

ghostxshell

Reaction score
Well, there is no one printer that can do it all with the accuracy you're requesting.

To be able to print models with the 3D Systems printers, you'll need a MP-Model Printer.

To get the accuracy you need for crowns and copings, you'll need a model SD, HD, HD Plus,

HD MAX, or DP. It truly depends on how much money you want to spend because all of

these printers are great. I just did two months of research and had some benchmark

prints done for me from both Stratasys and 3D Systems. I ended up going with the 3510

HD Plus because of the accuracy. The accuracy on small dental parts is amazing! I haven't

tried the DP materail vs the ProCast material yet. Scotty can tell you how those two burn out,

but I'm sure they both work fine with burning out since they're designed for casting.

You can get a multi-layering printer from 3D Systems, but you will not be using the same

technology as the 3510 uses. No where near as accurate either. They have them available for

customers, but they use a plastic powder material.

That being said, the 260 Connex we looked at was a great machine, just not capable of the accuracy

we're looking for on the smaller envelope prints that we will mostly be printing. It has it's uses, just

not for small applications where accuracy matters. Plus the 260 Connex was much more expensive

than my 3510 HD Plus.

Yes I was looking at connex 260 and connex 500 3d printers but wow..they are expensive.
can you explain more detail about 3d systems being more accurate? objet claims to have same micron layer.
I thought about doing all dental needs with single printer but i guess we have to wait.
what's the difference between 3500 HD series vs 3500 MP?
Anybody currently producing 3d printed models and bite splint, full contour print pattern which can be burned out casted/pressed?
also does 3d systems sell scanner as well? to scan impression...

G

ghostxshell

Reaction score
Visijet crystal is fine for this.

What bite splint is worn long-term? Nobody keeps One in their mouth 24/7..?

Usually just to sleep in, right?

This past weekend I finally have my Visijet Crystal printer running correctly.

Want to see One?
Yes please provide some pictures!