How would you scan this?

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Was wondering, how you all would scan a case like this? It's the number 27 with partial denture.
I scanned it without the denture first, then scanned a pre-op with the denture. I'm trying to figure out what's the best way, so when I design the tooth, I don't want the finishing guy to grind the tooth down too much to fit in the denture.

Any ideas?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You can always wax up the crown to full contour and scan it.Then copy the waxup.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
I'm not sure what i'm missing here, but I would scan the entire thing with the denture in place then remove the prep die and do a bunch of add scans to get all the internals of the partial . Then scan the die on it's own ,,,,,,mesh together @ the end design the crown with the denture in place . As long as you get it pretty close when you cut the occlusal & adjacents it should be perfect and need no adjustments .

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
1. Check scan neighborhood in first step.
2. Place partial on model and scan.
3. Remove die and scan neighborhood.
4. rest is as normal.

Be sure to spray.

here is how it should go. partial 1.JPG partial 2.JPG partial 3.JPG partial 4.JPG partial 5.JPG partial 6.JPG

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
1. Check scan neighborhood in first step.
2. Place partial on model and scan.
3. Remove die and scan neighborhood.
4. rest is as normal.

Be sure to spray.

here is how it should go. View attachment 33700 View attachment 33701 View attachment 33702 View attachment 33703 View attachment 33704 View attachment 33705
Thanks Sevan

pretty much how i did it too. worked out great, i'll show you what the finished product looks like once the finishing guy is done with it.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Pre op works as well, but with it as part of the model you actually get the collision lines active. Either way works man, good job.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
DreN4do, not to bad of a thread and result, for a guy who dresses in pink ;) :)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Lol...I can only imagine :)

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
I use TRIOS for cases like this. Scan without partial, lock prep and contacts, add partial, scan it in place, then scan relevant interfaces just with the partial in hand. This way getting clasps and other features is pretty simple.

This way when designing, you have distance heatmaps and cutting to contacts to aid you in getting the design very close.
atp.png

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
Take your Trios one step further and scan chairside using the original tooth as a prepreparation scan.
The biggest advantage is that the patient leaves with the partial and you don't.
Yeah, we heard this originally from a dentist with a scanner and I adapted it to lab workflow. We get a few cases done like this straight from IOS, but most partial cases that come to the lab are traditional impressions.

Top Bottom