Quiet dust collector

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, good luck.

But what's the quietest ones? I'm in an office building with lawyers on one side and computer programmers on the other, so I can't sound like a Boeing 747-200 from 100 feet on takeoff unless I only want to use it after hours.

Looked at the websites for Vaniman and ISI but neither lists their dB ratings that I could find.

user name

user name

Reaction score
How big do you need? You could always build a cheap sound dampening cabinet.
My Quatro iVac is my quietest.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
How big do you need? You could always build a cheap sound dampening cabinet.
My Quatro iVac is my quietest.
Whoops! One or Two workstation is all the capability I need for now. I'm thinking about a dog house for it as well, put some of the egg crate foam matting on the inside.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The vanimans aren't obnoxiously loud, but the ivacs are quieter. I did what you're thinking, not so much for the noise, but more for the heat my vani puts out.
I left my free end counter top hang off the edge of my main workstation cabinets by about 15" and boxed it in. I used a nice piece of pine or oak from Home Depot to finish the exposed end better. I used 2 finishing nails on the left hand side and pounded them in about 3/4 of the way in the paneling so I can take them out with a pliers to be able to maintenance the vani. I used a little Gorilla tape at the bottom right as it's a friction fit on that side.

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The vanimans aren't obnoxiously loud, but the ivacs are quieter. I did what you're thinking, not so much for the noise, but more for the heat my vani puts out.
I left my free end counter top hang off the edge of my main workstation cabinets by about 15" and boxed it in. I used a nice piece of pine or oak from Home Depot to finish the exposed end better. I used 2 finishing nails on the left hand side and pounded them in about 3/4 of the way in the paneling so I can take them out with a pliers to be able to maintenance the vani. I used a little Gorilla tape at the bottom right as it's a friction fit on that side.

View attachment 29171

View attachment 29170
Very impressive install!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It even has the height and room for the accumulator.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
We have Vaniman Stonevac 2s running 2 stations throughout the lab. I went around and measured the Decibals with a phone app.

For comparison a lathe running on high measured 65-66 and with the vacs running the average was 73-74. There noticeable but not annoying imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

user name

user name

Reaction score
Zubler kicks butt no matter what they do.

The Quatro ivac has a new model too I believe. Brushless.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
By far my quietest is the one I got from Kavo 28 years ago. Under bench unit.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
The vaniman has a lower setting that works well. If you are mindful with materials, this should be adequate. Easy to hear during a normal conversation at 3-5 ft. Less than 50dB. The dealer should know this.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Oh come on now..50db is a little hard to believe. That's the level of a running refrigerator.

Sound levels, measured as db, aren't an even scale. For instance, 50 db is 1/4 the volume of 70db.

60 is 1/2 the volume of 70.

Last edited:
Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Zubler FZ2 , By far the best vacs iv'e ever owned , I would never go back to single vacs all over the lab ( emptying vacs was my most hated job ) . Quiet ,,,,,reversed air blast from internal tank to clean filter,( dust collects in a bin at the bottom ) Works for four work stations ......................Down side ,runs off 220 v & $6 K cost.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
They are all relatively quiet, it’s the air noise! Vaniman has an add on, Muffler, to reduce the suction noise.
Often thought about it.

user name

user name

Reaction score
They are all relatively quiet, it’s the air noise! Vaniman has an add on, Muffler, to reduce the suction noise.
Often thought about it.
Got it. It does work, but its not extreme.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Oh come on now..50db is a little hard to believe. That's the level of a running refrigerator.

Sound levels, measured as db, aren't an even scale. For instance, 50 db is 1/4 the volume of 70db.

60 is 1/2 the volume of 70.
Yep, the magic and mystery of the log scale.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
In the Uncle Hank catalog, it shows the Vaniman Vanguard general purpose model being at 55db. But that has to be on the lowest setting. It probably has the high/low option as most do? (except for my abrasive vac. 1 setting)

Last edited: