Cheap Dust Collectors on Amazon & Ebay expirience?

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
...sorta a high jack....but nice to hear techs may be in demand at some point again... going on 60 and the idea of doing part time work in another 7 years or so from now sounds pretty appealing. a few foiled laminates, pfm's ..some light designing.... sorta looks like Fla. is I'll be headed, thats where my only son is at... after 45 years I still hope I have something to offer.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
quiet shmiet. you want cheap or you want quiet ? wont you have acdc blasting in the background anyway?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
quiet shmiet. you want cheap or you want quiet ? wont you have acdc blasting in the background anyway?
Build it a little dog house with shipping eggcrate foam inside...

Never cared for the dirty deeds done dirt cheap guys. If you're going to jail, at least take some pride in your work.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Build it a little dog house with shipping eggcrate foam inside...

Never cared for the dirty deeds done dirt cheap guys. If you're going to jail, at least take some pride in your work.
Yea that thing is too big and too loud. I got a shop vac. A small one. And a compressor, a small one. They are very loud. The are on the bottom of a steel wire rack that measures 24X48. I think I will make the bottom of the wire rack an even 24x48x24. And build a box inside the rack to sound proof the vac and the compressor. And I won't need exhaust fans cause the vac will always be pushing air out. I watched a few videos of guys making shop vac boxes and they work incredibly. Thats what your paying for when you spend $1k on a quiet vac or compressor. You're paying for the box. So I can build one that will keep the vac and compressor.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yea that thing is too big and too loud. I got a shop vac. A small one. And a compressor, a small one. They are very loud. The are on the bottom of a steel wire rack that measures 24X48. I think I will make the bottom of the wire rack an even 24x48x24. And build a box inside the rack to sound proof the vac and the compressor. And I won't need exhaust fans cause the vac will always be pushing air out. I watched a few videos of guys making shop vac boxes and they work incredibly. Thats what your paying for when you spend $1k on a quiet vac or compressor. You're paying for the box. So I can build one that will keep the vac and compressor.
If you're going whole hog, get some druformat, used in high end speaker system installs in cars and such. But eggcrate foam really w9rks well for a cheap anechoic chamber simulacrum. Don'tforget wheels and a sccess door or you'll hate yo7rself in a few weeks.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
If you're going whole hog, get some druformat, used in high end speaker system installs in cars and such. But eggcrate foam really w9rks well for a cheap anechoic chamber simulacrum. Don'tforget wheels and a sccess door or you'll hate yo7rself in a few weeks.
I don't have room for wheels. I have a shelve similar to this (https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...F8&qid=1484095237&sr=8-5&keywords=wire+shelve). The vac and the compressor fit on the bottom shelve. And I want to build an enclosure inside that shelves area. Since I don't have a woodshop in my NYC apartment. I think I will build the enclosure out of polycarbonate. I can cut it easy and build a sealed box easy, with access. So far this is all going well.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I don't have room for wheels. I have a shelve similar to this (https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...F8&qid=1484095237&sr=8-5&keywords=wire+shelve). The vac and the compressor fit on the bottom shelve. And I want to build an enclosure inside that shelves area. Since I don't have a woodshop in my NYC apartment. I think I will build the enclosure out of polycarbonate. I can cut it easy and build a sealed box easy, with access. So far this is all going well.
I was confused. I thought you were putting this under the bottom rack, on the floor.
Does polycarbonate leave a real mess when cut?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I was confused. I thought you were putting this under the bottom rack, on the floor.
Does polycarbonate leave a real mess when cut?
Not really. You score it with a special blade. Then snap it. And it glues like PVC, the glue just melts the Polycarbonate. So you can get a good enough seal to build an aquarium.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
i know this has been open for a while
but why not get a 5hp hepa filter dust collector
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv1800-series/15-cv1800-rh-system-3-phase-with-filters.html
Obviously... i will have it installed in a basement a garage or a seperate insulated room for noize reduction purpouses.
and my metal station would have those seperators to collect metal particles..
Just wondering if noize was not a factor... why not get a 5hp motor with a hepa filter.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
i know this has been open for a while
but why not get a 5hp hepa filter dust collector
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv1800-series/15-cv1800-rh-system-3-phase-with-filters.html
Obviously... i will have it installed in a basement a garage or a seperate insulated room for noize reduction purpouses.
and my metal station would have those seperators to collect metal particles..
Just wondering if noize was not a factor... why not get a 5hp motor with a hepa filter.
Cause its going into my 2bedroom NYC apartment. The square feet that would take up would cost too much, lol.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
You could repurpose it as a central vacuum for your apartment.
Maybe, if I owned this space and wanted to gut the walls. I've seen central vac systems in homes. Like in the kitchen there is a small door on the floor. When you kick it open it sucks. Very cool stuff.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Maybe, if I owned this space and wanted to gut the walls. I've seen central vac systems in homes. Like in the kitchen there is a small door on the floor. When you kick it open it sucks. Very cool stuff.
Gut the walls? How about a long hose?
If I had a small door on the kitchen floor, I would just sweep the dirt in there and close it back up.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Gut the walls? How about a long hose?
If I had a small door on the kitchen floor, I would just sweep the dirt in there and close it back up.
Just don't have the space.

Top Bottom