Cheap Dust Collectors on Amazon & Ebay expirience?

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
If you search Amazon and Ebay for dental lab dust collector. You will find plenty of $100-200 units.
On one hand you get what you pay for. On the other, the dust collector is such a simple machine I don't see how an $800 Vaniman could be MUCH different.
Maybe the higher end units are quieter and some brushless.
But I am just looking for something for home use that will run an hour or two a week.
Anyone ever purchase and use one? Are they okay?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If you search Amazon and Ebay for dental lab dust collector. You will find plenty of $100-200 units.
On one hand you get what you pay for. On the other, the dust collector is such a simple machine I don't see how an $800 Vaniman could be MUCH different.
Maybe the higher end units are quieter and some brushless.
But I am just looking for something for home use that will run an hour or two a week.
Anyone ever purchase and use one? Are they okay?
Integral Systems stuff is okay. ISI is how you'll usually see them listed. Most of the stuff on eBay looks to me like copies of theirs.

They do make a small desktop unit( I've never met one, so can't speak to it's sound or efficiency) that may be up your alley. Around $200 last time I looked up a price.

http://www.integralusa.com/dust_collectors/dre.html
8.5"w x 13"l x 6.5"h (excluding shield)
vdre_tn.jpg

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Integral Systems stuff is okay. ISI is how you'll usually see them listed. Most of the stuff on eBay looks to me like copies of theirs.

They do make a small desktop unit( I've never met one, so can't speak to it's sound or efficiency) that may be up your alley. Around $200 last time I looked up a price.

http://www.integralusa.com/dust_collectors/dre.html
8.5"w x 13"l x 6.5"h (excluding shield)
vdre_tn.jpg
I can't work behind the glass. I like the traditional hole in the bench top type.
If I felt like blowing tons of money, I would get this.
http://www.ziro-dent.de/gebrauchte-...ann-suction-drawer-LSG-02-DE/c-KAT250/a-P1647
But the bench I got I'm really just building. And I am going to drill out a 4" square and seal it with metal mesh plate and run whatever suction unit I get under the desk...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I can't work behind the glass. I like the traditional hole in the bench top type.
If I felt like blowing tons of money, I would get this.
http://www.ziro-dent.de/gebrauchte-...ann-suction-drawer-LSG-02-DE/c-KAT250/a-P1647
But the bench I got I'm really just building. And I am going to drill out a 4" square and seal it with metal mesh plate and run whatever suction unit I get under the desk...
Gotcha.

I was thinking that you may be doing this on a normal desk or table instead of building a "real" bench.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Gotcha.

I was thinking that you may be doing this on a normal desk or table instead of building a "real" bench.
I would LOVE to build my own personal Dental Lab Bench from the ground up. But I live in a 2bed apartment in NYC. Even if I had the space for power tools, my GF would kill me if she came home and saw I turned the living room into a temporary woodshop. :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to build my own personal Dental Lab Bench from the ground up. But I live in a 2bed apartment in NYC. Even if I had the space for power tools, my GF would kill me if she came home and saw I turned the living room into a temporary woodshop. :)
Yeah, I still get comments from when I took the TV apart on the table to replace the capacitors in the power supply. Well, new tv or $3.00 in capacitors... pLuS iTs FuN

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Yeah, I still get comments from when I took the TV apart on the table to replace the capacitors in the power supply. Well, new tv or $3.00 in capacitors... pLuS iTs FuN
Many years ago I was dating a girl who's dad had a HUGE old tube TV. And one day it stopped working. SO naturally I took it apart. I scoured the motherboard and found a very nicely burned up chip. I took a pic and even googled the chip and found it could be ordered online. So I put everything back together and let my gfs dad know what he had to do. And I told him I would soldier it in for him and it just may work again. So For whatever reason he decided to take the TV apart himself. He didn't know what he was doing either. You know what he did? He snapped the motherboard in two while sliding it out from under the tube. Then put the TV on the street for the garbage men. Then bought a new TV that was much much smaller.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I was dating a girl who's dad had a HUGE old tube TV. And one day it stopped working. SO naturally I took it apart. I scoured the motherboard and found a very nicely burned up chip. I took a pic and even googled the chip and found it could be ordered online. So I put everything back together and let my gfs dad know what he had to do. And I told him I would soldier it in for him and it just may work again. So For whatever reason he decided to take the TV apart himself. He didn't know what he was doing either. You know what he did? He snapped the motherboard in two while sliding it out from under the tube. Then put the TV on the street for the garbage men. Then bought a new TV that was much much smaller.
Yeah, when I had an electronics repair shop I charged extra to fix damage from hamhanded repair attempts. It's amazing how fast someone can destroy something that just needed a new fuse.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Buy a used renfert and forget the cheap BS

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Do I sense a break away on your own coming up soon?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
A warning on buying cheap dust collectors from someone who has in the past and now has a bad ringing in my right ear... spend extra to get a quiet one...

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score

I thought the same thing. Or possible side jobs? Hmmmm2Questionmark

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Theres no advantage in going out on your own anymore. Skilled techs are worth more than owners.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Theres no advantage in going out on your own anymore. Skilled techs are worth more than owners.

If there was someone in my area who was hiring, I'd probably consider it. In the sense of let someone else do all the logistics, book work, invoices, statements, ordering, taxes etc etc and just let me sit and do the craft. The only thing I would miss is the ability to use what I want, and experiment with new materials, things a owner may frown on. Besides, let them make and maintain the bigger CAD/CAM investments and costs.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
True, but are the owners aware of that yet? It is laughable what some offer a highly skilled and knowledgeable analog and digital tech.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
True, but are the owners aware of that yet? It is laughable what some offer a highly skilled and knowledgeable analog and digital tech.

They become aware of it when those techs leave to start on their own.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score

Many years away from that. So very many.

Top Bottom