R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Here's an easy one
I have a red wing that i was for all my model and die trimming
I also have a sandblast machine
Which Dust collector should i get

Looked at Vaniman stonevac, Quattro velocityX2 , Quatro Slim , Quatro twin, Renfert

Please give me some suggestions with personal experience... so many to chose from.

Thanks in advance :)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You've listed some good collectors. I only have experience with Vaniman for my stone/dust collector (Abrasive Vac) and Vaniman Star (~15 years old) for my metal finishing bench.
The Quatro iVac CAD/CAM has been really nice for the mill, but since I only mill wax and PMMA, can't really give you a true reading on how many filters I would go through if
I used the model Die Stone & Sand version. I think it also has the 2 filter system, which could get expensive in replacing those with the finer dust you you'd be using it for.

Maybe in that case, I would go with the Vaniman with a Accumulator, as that would help especially with the alum oxide, as their filters are reasonable priced and may last longer.
Check to see if they have the motor with the brushes lined up in a row, compared to the motors that are single set version which needs to be replaced each time. The other motor
has about 3-5 in a row, that keep replacing themselves until they run out, then you just replace the motor (Red dot or Blue dot?). You could always get a Accumulator for a Quatro,
which may help prolong the filter life.

Last edited:
CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have a really big Handler dust collector in the basement and there are several Vaniman Accumulators in the duct system. One on the bench I grind metal at and another under the sandblaster that collects most of the aluminum oxide and keeps it out of the dust collector. I've done nothing except empty the recepticals on occasion since 1992.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Handler a lot of times, gets overlooked with all the press about Vaniman and Quatro. They are a solid workhorse.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I think if the entire system is set up right it dosen't really matter what is at the end drawing air thru it.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
Well... i currently have a regular house hold central vac with a home made filter bucket lol
Pretty sure anything would be better than that.
I'm just trying to make a best bang for my bucks kind of decision
Leaning towards the quatro velocity.
Straight forward no mc2 gadgets.
What do you guys think?
Just trying to ask the right questions to you guys.
A lot of times reps only have 1 answer but dont know why they are giving that answer.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have a Quatro that was in my late uncles lab, I'm pretty sure he had it for at least ten years. I have no idea if he had any problems in that time, but I've tested it and it seems to work well.
I'm expanding into another room and I've not decided yet if I will run ductwork into it from the Handler or use the smaller collectors that I have.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
He also had a Renfert machine connected to his sandblaster and a couple of smaller, single station Vaniman units. They all seem to have been working just fine. I don't think you will go too wrong with whatever you choose.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
So looking back... do you like the whole centralized dust collector idea? or designated dust collectors?
Noy sure how long u can run duct work before u start losing power

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
So looking back... do you like the whole centralized dust collector idea? or designated dust collectors?
Noy sure how long u can run duct work before u start losing power
I think I prefer the central system. The Handler unit I have in the basement is big, roughly 2'X3'X5', I think I could run a fair bit of ductwork and still have plenty of flow.
It's also been running without a hiccup for 24 years.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
which model is it if you dont mind me asking?
And how many inches is your duct work

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If you can, I like the idea of a central vac system and CRobs Accumulators as needed, With a central vac system, you just have to maintain 1 unit with just its filters, compared to a couple of workstation units.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
What model is the Handler? I have no idea, but I'll go look and see if it's on it. The duct work is 4" in the basement and its reduced to 2" upstairs.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Handler a lot of times, gets overlooked with all the press about Vaniman and Quatro. They are a solid workhorse.
I've got a Handler and a Vaniman. Tha Vaniman works a LOT better than the Handler.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Suction wise? If you had a Accumulator on a Handler, would that help with its performance, or not so much?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The last 2 digits of the serial number are 84. I got it from my uncle when he was moving his lab and I think that was probably the year he bought it.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If I were going with small single workstation units, I wouldn't get a Handler either, but a big behemoth unit is a different matter altogether.

R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
I<m in montreal.. quatro is local.. so at this point im definitely thinking of going quatro just because i have a local service.
I guess that's why the rep is pushing for quatro.
Now its down to which quatro i am going to get
Veolicty X2 or Ivac
I was told by a quatro technician that velocity is more of a blower type collector which means it moves a lot of air a lot faster
But ivac is more of a vacumm type dust collector which means it sucks all the air

Just noticed... one blows and the other one sucks... this could've been a dirty convo lol

Only question is which type would i need for a plaster station and a sand blast

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg It might be obvious but, use pvc pipe for better air flow than the hoses .

Saw this last week in a local home center store ad. A big arse accumulator. Brand name , Oneida Air Systems.

Top Bottom