3Shape or Exo

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
We're looking to switch CAD systems from Dental Wings to something else. A BIG priority is being able to scan impressions, run through a model builder, and print. Which platform is better at this between Exo and 3Shape?

I

IgorN

Reaction score
We're looking to switch CAD systems from Dental Wings to something else. A BIG priority is being able to scan impressions, run through a model builder, and print. Which platform is better at this between Exo and 3Shape?
Both are. But i'm sure u gonna get lots of answers on this one :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

user name

user name

Reaction score
Easy to use. You don't have to follow a step by step predefined work flow; you can, and its easy, but you can also use whats called 'expert mode' (very simple) and go back to any step you want to change things.

Buy it and its yours. No annual license fees.

Marylandfarmer

Marylandfarmer

Reaction score
I have considered switching to Exocad because it is supposed to be "truly open software". We started with Serona, it was not open, and we were tied to using only the product on the spindle they sold, which was limited. We use Nobel, it is not open. We do all our implant bars and custom abutments on the nobel system and are very happy with them. We went with 3 Shape since I was told "it is open", it is not truly open. I feel we are at the mercy of the software update gods waiting for the system to crash every time the folks at 3 Shape decide to tinker with things. and tech support is with who you purchased your system from along with 3Shape. 3Shape has a way of changing things without telling the vendors what is going on.

We do a lot of truly custom things in our lab and Exocads open, non cookie cutter format attracts me like a fly to the light on a bug zapper, but so did 3 Shape several years ago.

3 Shape works well, when it works. But I think if I had the time machine up and running, I would go back in time and go with Exocad. We may add Exocad software some day, but I hate asking the man for another box of software until I can truly justify that it is the way to go.

Good luck

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Both are. But i'm sure u gonna get lots of answers on this one :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
EXOCAD...You'll never look back!!!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

user name

user name

Reaction score
I whisper to you...

"Theyre listening". (Just like in the movie The Forgotten. Its good. watch it.)

Yes, theyre listening. I literally just got a call from 3Shape with in 10 minutes of my post. Not a reseller, but 3Shape.

I feel like Im finally somebody. They know who I am, and finally they ask...

"Whats the deal with Exocad?!" Whats it going to take? We want you using our software. We can give you a great deal on a scanner, but if you like yours that much, we can still have you running our software with it.

So, 3Shape folks...we know youre reading this. Ill tell everyone here just what I told you:

Ive never had a crash. I pay no fees. I don't need tech support. I love my Exocad. I bought it from Jensen, and I love them too.

Party

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I whisper to you...

Yes, theyre listening. I literally just got a call from 3Shape with in 10 minutes of my post. Not a reseller, but 3Shape.

"Whats the deal with Exocad?!" Whats it going to take? We want you using our software. We can give you a great deal on a scanner, but if you like yours that much, we can still have you running our software with it.

So, 3Shape folks...we know youre reading this. Ill tell everyone here just what I told you:

Ive never had a crash. I pay no fees. I don't need tech support. I love my Exocad. I bought it from Jensen, and I love them too.

Party
You are a former 3shape user as well, correct?

Edit: They really don't want you using their software unless they get it running better, as in with no more workarounds, bugs, and such. Like it has been since 2015ish. There is no reason why someone should have to keep a 2014 version of software installed just to make sure they can do what they need to do and what the new ones are supposed to do. Software upgrades should actually be UP ward in functionality, capability, and ease of use. At least lateral with new/better in the rest of it. And certainly not downward in any category, except price. Don't roll out a new version (with known issues) soley to feel that it's new name/number will justify your fees while you make customers pay to be your beta testers in their production setting. Just sayin'

Although it could be good for the rest of us. We'd get to read more posts like this ( https://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/i-am-angry.24423/ ) with the truth of how it was handled, and why it had to be handled in the first place. Plus, honestly you tell a good story. We could even start a new section for them. Call it "Days of our Wax Knives" or "The Young and Resetless".

Edit: anybody need a soapbox?

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You are a former 3shape user as well, correct?

https://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/exo-can-i-get-a-hell-yeah.22014/

Edit: . Don't roll out a new version (with known issues) soley to feel that it's new name/number will justify your fees while you make customers pay to be your beta testers in their production setting. Just sayin'

Agree. Many other vendors (Techsmith Snagit) do this also, have a maintenance plan and come up with a new yearly version/build that at times
is worse than the previous year or two, just to justify why people are paying for a yearly fee.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
https://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/exo-can-i-get-a-hell-yeah.22014/

Agree. Many other vendors (Techsmith Snagit) do this also, have a maintenance plan and come up with a new yearly version/build that at times
is worse than the previous year or two, just to justify why people are paying for a yearly fee.
I'd be far more impressed with a group that put out rock solid software every 18-24 months than one that builds on top of bugs every year. Even if I was stuck paying every year. I'd feel my fees were truly justified in paying the staff that made such software.

Buying software is no different than hiring an employee. How many people keep employees that say they've never seen that before when it happened before, and is well known, while expecting their boss to fix their personal drama problems (beta testing production software),and don't show up when they have a few too many lines of code adjusted too rapidly (alcohol/drugs)

Now, I've never used either 3shape or exocad. But there is one big difference I see between the comments, posts and questions of those that do.

3shape users generally want to know how to make it work.
Exocad users generally want to know how to take it farther.

D

drstranger

Reaction score
I also recommend Exocad. I have used 3Shape before, but we were stuck with the 2014 version because the upgrades were pretty bad.
When we designed Implant jobs with more than 1 implant it was very likely to crash. During my 3 years of working with 3 Shape I experienced countless crashes. Good luck designing a cutback implant bar with 4 implants and morphing to a pre-op scan.
I have purchased Exocad 3 months ago and didn't have a single crash.
You also have more possibilities to be creative, for example you can just import new scans during the design ( very simple).
This was a pain in 3 Shape and more than one or two extra overlays is not possible.
3Shape also saves the scan files in a proprietaty .dcm format which makes it difficult to manipulate the files afterwards.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I'd be far more impressed with a group that put out rock solid software every 18-24 months than one that builds on top of bugs every year. Even if I was stuck paying every year. I'd feel my fees were truly justified in paying the staff that made such software.

Buying software is no different than hiring an employee. How many people keep employees that say they've never seen that before when it happened before, and is well known, while expecting their boss to fix their personal drama problems (beta testing production software),and don't show up when they have a few too many lines of code adjusted too rapidly (alcohol/drugs)

Now, I've never used either 3shape or exocad. But there is one big difference I see between the comments, posts and questions of those that do.

3shape users generally want to know how to make it work.
Exocad users generally want to know how to take it farther.
Well said [emoji5]

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
I whisper to you...

Party
One huge Bonus point with Exocad is the ability to morph to a pre-op model exactly and perfectly with no resolution loss. 3Shape's morphing is So Low in resolution that it requires a massive clean up...time and inaccuracy- grrrr! Or imagine changing a number of things ie; margin placement Anywhere in the workflow etc, etc, etc.[emoji5]

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Is there a way to view a colour scan in exo?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I was told the opposite by a potential reseller.
I would consider a switch if I could still toggle from colour to mono.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I was told the opposite by a potential reseller.
I would consider a switch if I could still toggle from colour to mono.

It's possible. Dr Abernaim had a video of him doing it on face book that toggles between colour and mono.