3d printer for dental use recommendation

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Yes I was looking at connex 260 and connex 500 3d printers but wow..they are expensive.
can you explain more detail about 3d systems being more accurate? objet claims to have same micron layer.
I thought about doing all dental needs with single printer but i guess we have to wait.
what's the difference between 3500 HD series vs 3500 MP?
Anybody currently producing 3d printed models and bite splint, full contour print pattern which can be burned out casted/pressed?
also does 3d systems sell scanner as well? to scan impression...

Yeah...they're expensive!! It's the way the material is leveled off after it has been jetted out.

A planalizer levels out the material and removes excess. It fills in all of the voids that can be

left from the printheads.

The HD is more for prototyping and can print out castable material. The MP is the model printer

only. 3D Systems will make you buy two different machines to be able to print different materials

unfortunately. They're all the same machines with different allowances on what material you can

print on them. You can print everything you need with them. I do not believe they sell scanners.

G

ghostxshell

Reaction score
Image Dental Arts in NC is selling a nice printer. Mark is owner.

That printer was around $90k and now selling for under $40k.

I have Two for sale as well. I buy and sell them, and repair them.

One is $30k 32um resolution and a lower resolution is $8k.

Lower resolution is great for models and splints and surgical guides. Some people also use that for C&B patterns. It is about 64um resolution.

Currently have Four myself.

Forget Objet! No good.

3d Systems is much better resolution and better for casting/pressing, or anything?

I have unlocked my printers to accept FDA approved material for bite-splints and surgical guides, or various Model materials, or any other material in many colors.

804-285-0777 "Scotty"

I'm in Richmond VA

Which printer model are they selling it for under 40k?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Yes I was looking at connex 260 and connex 500 3d printers but wow..they are expensive.
can you explain more detail about 3d systems being more accurate? objet claims to have same micron layer.
I thought about doing all dental needs with single printer but i guess we have to wait.
what's the difference between 3500 HD series vs 3500 MP?
Anybody currently producing 3d printed models and bite splint, full contour print pattern which can be burned out casted/pressed?
also does 3d systems sell scanner as well? to scan impression...

yes, we print all the above.

No difference between the HD, DP, MP, etc....al same damn machine! LOL

Kent, anyone reading this can contact me to have printer opened.

Does not matter if they bought it from me or not. OK?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Scott,

From a normal consumer, not as yourself, these are his options. I know that you've

successfully hacked the systems and have been for a long time. But if he wants to

buy from someone else besides you, then this is what he will need to consider. NOPE!

Now, once my contract is up, we will speak about hacking ours to be able to get

it to print all the materials. I know they're all the same machines with specific

firmware that prohibits certain functions. Just one more way for 3D Systems

to make more money. I'll give you a shout in about a year for us to upgrade

the internal PC as well as hacking it to print all materials. Trust me, I've already

thought about you after our purchase. Patience grasshopper! ;):cool:

Who you calling grasshopper?

I don't upgrading the printer's PC is possible.

99% sure of it.

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
yes, we print all the above.

No difference between the HD, DP, MP, etc....al same damn machine! LOL

Kent, anyone reading this can contact me to have printer opened.

Does not matter if they bought it from me or not. OK?

I know...but it would void the 1st year's warranty if you did that.

That's all I'm saying Scott. After the first year is up, then contact

YOU to hack into it and unlock all of the materials.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Who you calling grasshopper? LOL You can call me King, you peasant.

Upgrade the PC? What on earth are you talking about?

Why do you need to do that?

This would not void any contract at all, and impossible for your reseller to know if it happened, or how it happened!

??

So we could upgrade the PC in the unit itself and them never know it? What if they

remote in? Would they not be able to tell?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Nice to speak with you on phone Kent!

Thanks for putting up with my chit on this forum.

You're great guy!

Scotty

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Great talking with you too Scott! No worries man. I know how you are on here.

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
How about using printers from outside the industry for models...we are playing with a high-res printer and getting great quality results(~25-50 micron)

Anyone else playing with the new crop of open-market 3d printers that are out there?

Instead of 40-80K your talking about 5-10k and resin cose of $100 per liter.....makes printing viable for the small lab out there

Attachments

• PrintedModel2small.jpg
    PrintedModel2small.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 103
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
well, i'd be willing to consider the outside open source market if you can do two things for me. well three things.

1. make a proper die ditched model with articulator interface
2. take some high res high magnification finish pics
3. clean the model of debris, and watermark your work.

because i can see the streaks and i can see the smooth teeth - but it looks kinda low quality.

when you say "outside the industry" exactly how far out are you going? still remaining in the 3d systems universe or are you using like a reprap/makerbot? for my money that looks like a form1 print

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I look at the adjacent tooth morphology from the IOS , not the printed model so I'm not that concerned with the streaks or topographical map surface.

I need a sharp margin that's it. Everything else is designed from the scan not the model.

Is it possible to modify the ditching?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in iTero and in modelbuilder (via control panel/ or by using the add/remove tool in the sculpt model stage) yes u can modify ditching.

how sharp exactly did you want that margin edge?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
not much,slight undercut would be nice.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
How about using printers from outside the industry for models...we are playing with a high-res printer and getting great quality results(~25-50 micron)

Anyone else playing with the new crop of open-market 3d printers that are out there?

Instead of 40-80K your talking about 5-10k and resin cose of $100 per liter.....makes printing viable for the small lab out there

You are going to make us guess the name of your machine huh? :(

They may claim 25-50um, but who really knows? Are you using an Asiga printer?

One company to watch out for is Prodways. They have a really coom idea to keep accuracy high while expanding the build area.

German/French dudes....

Scotty

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Wonder if they had 'em at LMT west. Didn't see it in Chicago.

WDM,... not just FDM ? Very specific man!

I guess they started it so they can call it whatever they want

Yes, they did have them on display at LMT West. I did not get pricing or availability but they were on display.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
They who??

What the heck is wrong with you people and these half-a55 answers?

Either spit out some real info, or shut-up. LOL

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
They who??

What the heck is wrong with you people and these half-a55 answers?

Either spit out some real info, or shut-up. LOL
They is still referring to the WDM printers LA Ceramics ref'cd, which are the 3dsystems new dental printers which are not available yet

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
You are going to make us guess the name of your machine huh? :(

They may claim 25-50um, but who really knows? Are you using an Asiga printer?

One company to watch out for is Prodways. They have a really coom idea to keep accuracy high while expanding the build area.

German/French dudes....

Scotty

OK, CoolHandLuke guessed correct....its off a Form 1 printer

I understand you want a removable die model and articulator mounts but thats just a design issue. I could buy the $7500 3shape model builder dongle, then design and export to stl. On a low-budget method you could just get a bite from the dentist to confirm occlusion and mount arches in bases if you really need mounted models

I realize you want pics of remove able die models with mounts(only a software/design problem) but I threw pics up to get some thoughts on the subject of outside 'dental' industry printers.

I'd like to see some pics of your guys prints. I understand you guys want justify(consciously or sub-consciously) your 40-80k investment but I think we should be open to figure out what the best 3d printer out there is? If we all took the same file and printed it to see who got the best result it might prove interesting.....food for thought

I did a lot of tests before we bought of the exact same file from some outsourcing and the Form 1 was as good if not better than a few of the other printers, but not the best. The new Envisiontec machine for 80k seems very accurate(advertized 16um) but is it worth the extra 75k for an extra 15-30 microns when the scan file is the most accurate part anyway?

Here's a pic with the original model and a bunch of prints off the scan of it. The one on the far right is Infinident crap, yet I had one worse than that from Cadblu off their 3D systems printer(not pictured and I can't remember the model # it was)

Attachments

• _MG_5405.jpg
    _MG_5405.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i should have put money on it :(

anyway you only need to print a model for two reasons.

1. its a layering case
2. its an implant case.

everything else is fast, easy, and model-free. printing the resin to cast the gold - or press the unit. even partials with the right eye for design in theory could be printed and cast and finished sans model.

but again, that is totally depending on your design and your consistency in investing, and knowledge in devesting. personally i wouldn't go that far yet (model-free in cast partial) but i can envision the method to approach it.

printed models for everyday cases are a waste of time, money, and material, unless your dentists specifically ask for one i wouldn't do it.

Last edited: