Willi Geller shades problem...

user name

user name

Reaction score
Alright you wise a$$es. I cook. Thats doesnt limit a man to a fire. I also have daughters. Its my responsibility and pleasure to teach them. I like food. Good food. I also dont mind teaching my friends how I get it right. Thefinger

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Alright you wise a$$es. I cook. Thats doesnt limit a man to a fire. I also have daughters. Its my responsibility and pleasure to teach them. I like food. Good food. I also dont mind teaching my friends how I get it right. Thefinger
Fine, but that doesn't mean we can't raz you a bit.:D

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Id expect it from Rob, but et tu brute?

As far as baking cookies at a friends house...Youd have to see her.
I cook too, man can't live on takeout and food from a box alone.
I applaud you for preparing your daughters to make it through life properly nourished as that contributes to proper brain function and decision making. As far as baking cookies, it just shows the lengths a guy will go to to impress the ladies.

Zubler USA

Zubler USA

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this is one of my favorite topics. Please be patient with me.

I came into this industry from the engineering department at a ceramic furnace manufacturer. I have explored many of the ovens on the market and looked at their components as well as their quality and am glad I work where I work now. But let's put aside where I work.

If I could give you some piece of advice that would make you all more happy with any furnace you own it would be this,"Quit obsessing about your calibration so much."

It is important, but what is more important is understanding how your furnace functions. Your temperature is affected by multiple components. One of which is your thermocouple or more aptly put, "thermometer". This device merely reads the temperature and reports back to the oven what it sees. BY changing your calibration you are affectively changing the reading, and not necessarily addressing the real issue. So what to check then:

1. The heating element!!!! This is the cause of many issues associated with temperature change. In fact it does not make sense to calibrate an old oven with a crap heating element because the heating element's condition can cause temperature distortions. This is caused by an output change in one or more part of the element, thus heat will be more intense in one area, less intense in another area.

2. Although not all ovens are equally affected, inadequate power supply can cause problems. If you are not getting enough power or have equipment competing for power then this can cause temperature drops during programs.

3. Poor maintenance, keeping the oven clean and dry is important. If you de-gas in your oven then accumulated contamination can cause temperature problems with multiple components, either the thermocouple, heating element or insulation etc.

4. Now let's look at the thermocouple. Is it broken from moving or something hitting it? If the wires from the thermocouple cross at any point other than the tip, than a secondary temperature reading point is created, thus there is no way an accurate reading can ever be established.

5. Your electronics, control circuitry, relays are probably beyond your control. I wouldn't bother going there, other than to say think of where the wire that connects your thermocouple to your mainboard has to travel.

Laboratory calibration methodologies are meant as band aids or as consumable products. They are not true calibrations. The only true calibration happens at the factory or dealer where your furnace is serviced. There is a specific protocol and specialized instrumentation that must be used.

So, the overall truth of the matter is; the better quality your equipment, the better you take of it, the less you should see anomalies. If you suspect you have a "calibration" issue, meaning a temperature issue, then check your components. Short of that, the best you can do is calibrate to you (your eye) by firing a shade tab in your oven and offsetting the programs in your oven using the global calibration offset most ovens are equipped with.

Good luck. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
...case in point: The 'correct' firing temp for any porcelain will be different from lab to lab; oven to oven. There is no one correct temp for any given brand of glass. The mfrg lists a 'suggested' temp in their firing schedules as a starting point. Thats what Zubler pre loads into your oven.

Chocolate chip cookies take 7 minutes 45 seconds in my oven at 375 degrees. The same recipe takes 8 minutes 15 seconds at my friends place to get the same result. Whose correct...the recipe on the bag of chips, or me?
The H would beg to differ, but I know the recipe content and size make all the difference! He. Is. Mr. Cookie.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Nestle Toll House recipe...but use 50% more vanilla, just a touch more salt, use salted butter, instead of brown sugar we mix our own with white granulated sugar and Blackstrap molasses. Full bag of dark chocolate chips, throw in a hand full of cherry chips and instead of all purpose flour, we use whole grain and replace 1/4 cup of it with chocolate cake mix. Its got to be mixed by hand (no power mixer),and dont mix too much. Bake on an aluminum air-bake sheet with parchment paper.

There is no better cookie.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Nestle Toll House recipe...but use 50% more vanilla, just a touch more salt, use salted butter, instead of brown sugar we mix our own with white granulated sugar and Blackstrap molasses. Full bag of dark chocolate chips, throw in a hand full of cherry chips and instead of all purpose flour, we use whole grain and replace 1/4 cup of it with chocolate cake mix.

There is no better cookie.
Oh. Yummy ymmyymmy.

His angle is whole wheat or oat flour (he cannot mix his carbs) and tons of chocolate chips. Nestle (tollhouse) or Kirkland (Costco). Brown sugar only. He doesn't use a recipe, but it is a spin off from Toll House. Regular salted butter. His are more, a little dough with a handful of chocolate chips type of cookie. Baseball size dough lumps, about 5 to a sheet. Lowered temp 325 for 20 minutes.

I never thought to use molasses. I know this is in a ginger cookie. I still like the basic toll house recipe.

Everything I bake uses the food combination principal. I have a lot of meh, but some winners.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My Angie's oatmeal chocolate chip.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I didn't get toys like that. The Kaiser girls got one though which is weird because they were poor. I got lots of used Xerox paper from dads office. We started recycling young.

...I looked up Angie's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Um. I guess you are the sole recipient of these treasures. :)

H

howitsmade

Reaction score
Last edited:
desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
User, I did a test yesterday using clear tabs and could not attain even close to clear until i hit about 50-60 degrees c above what i normally fire at (920) Firing at those temps and i will only yield some great marbles ;)
I dont have any platinum foil so i placed a pillow on top of a few pegs and put my clear tabs on that to fire... What do you think the problem is?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Those pillows suck a lot of heat. Try with Pt foil.

user name

user name

Reaction score
:):):)
I've made other test.
http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/a4e9bba5a0a9d130.html
http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/876494ec7810124d.html

On the left are DA3 and S59 fired at 920 degrees, on the right the same fired at 980 degrees. As you can see chunks on the right is totally rounded and (i think) darker.
So conclusion is that, even if clear fired at 980 was finner, test with dentin shows that 980 is to high temp.
Thanks bro for very helpful and funny thread Beer
If you read through both threads on this topic, you will see that this is how its done ...by experienced artists that know what theyre doing. You are either doing things wrong or working with porcelain that isnt actually clear. All your powders fire at the same temp, so you will get the same result with your dentins as you will with clear. If your results on a crown dont duplicate the results in the test firings, then you werent performing the tests correctly.

Thats not a big surprise...you started this thread by saying you know youre temps are correct. You dont know as much as you think you do. Ask yourself...how is it that the senior techs are doing it as we've described, yet youre screwing it up? You clearly are lacking in basic knowledge and werent ready to venture out on your own. Go back to the way you used to do things and wonder why its not turning out nice.

user name

user name

Reaction score
User, I did a test yesterday using clear tabs and could not attain even close to clear until i hit about 50-60 degrees c above what i normally fire at (920) Firing at those temps and i will only yield some great marbles ;)
I dont have any platinum foil so i placed a pillow on top of a few pegs and put my clear tabs on that to fire... What do you think the problem is?
Fire on platinum foil, on a peg.

Top Bottom