Taking shades

N

NoName

Reaction score
Hey, I don't know where to post this, but I am curious what is your shade taking protocol, so I'll leave few questions, please reply, it will help me (and maybe other too) a lot :)

1. What is your shade taking protocol?
2. What do yo use for taking shades?
3. Are you satisfied with your current shade taking protocol?
4. What cases you work on mostly?
5. Do you use some kind of equipment for shade taking? Like a normal camera or some smile line thing, or matisse, or something like that?

So I will try to answer to my own questions as an example:

1. Doc takes few pics with two closest vita classic shades and sends me those pics. Now the problem with this is that sometimes pics are with weird lighting and I get some bs pics..to resolve this issue I was wondering maybe we need to use a specific way of taking pictures, maybe get into some settings or something like that, because pictures are taken by phone, the only good thing is that most ppl today have great phones, but still it is different, for example my coworker got few pics from a doc, and on his phone (some mid lvl android phone) pictures were terrible, because of his phone, on my phone they were great (samsung s21),doctor probably has iphone, so god knows how those pictures look there lol..but iphones got good cameras, so I bet it's great, but there is most likely a difference between iphone and my samsung pictures, meaning the screen specifications, also samsung s21 when I'm taking pictures, let's say any pictures - they look brighter than on iphone, I think the camera itself is using filters to make pictures look better.and on iphones pictures tend to look more natural, so I bet there is a difference when we get shades, also you could say that it does not matter because we have the same vita classic shades at the lab and we still can tell when the pictures are not that good and knowing that we can make adjustments, because we see how the other shades look in the pictures..so yeah, I'd agree, but it still makes our job harder.

2. My doctors use mostly iphones, most likely with whatever default settings, also some take pictures with secondary lighting (chair lamp probably).

3. Current protocol is not realy a protocol, it's just whatever..that's why I'm searching for a protocol lol

4. I mostly work on fixed cases.

5. I do not use anything extra, but I have heard that some ppl used smile line led thing, can't remember the name, old one was like a stick with square small window with leds around it and the other one was the thing where you put your phone in, also with leds...you know what I'm talking about lol, just google "smile line led". Or maybe some of you use Matisse software? Is that any good? I have never tried that

You can also add whatever else information you think is relevent to this topic, as you see my questions are kind of random, but you get the idea, I want to find a good shade taking protocol :)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I tried the smile line phone camera thing, and sent it back. My Samsung S22+ just couldn't get the close-up detail. A camera is always better, IMO than a phone camera. Also, try a forum search for photography, as there was an excellent thread in that regard. Another important thing is using the Vita 3D guide.

2024-03-21_16-02-35.jpg

Last edited:
sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I only use the phone camera to refresh my memory as to the patient and for recall. Not shade.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I only use the phone camera to refresh my memory as to the patient and for recall. Not shade.
I've also found the same thing, that I can rely to much on my photos compared to my first impressions chairside with the shade guide and the notes I took. Photos are great for nuances, but I've said the same thing to the patient while taking the photos, they're to refresh my mind while doing the case 1 to 2 weeks later.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
There is another way.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
One of our assistants is dead on taking shades, now I am training her how to stain... win-win Beer