Hello! Owner of dental lab for just 3 years now, looking for first milling machine

T

toni94

Reaction score
Hi, first time today on this forum, i need little help. I received offer to buy Wieland zanotec mini with computer and suction sistem for 3.000 € . My question is , is it worth buying or should i skip it. I would like to go in that direction with business and that is about the budget I have in this moment. So, is it good enough for a start with something like Wieland mini. I don't have to much zirconia on the monthly basis,but quite frankly I'm tired of all that metal ceramics and I'm trying to turn over and simplify workflow in the lab . Thank you!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Until you're more sure, and your volume increases, you could outsource your zirconia units. Is there anyone in your area you could send to?

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Car 54 pointed out a good idea. If there is anyone locally that could mill them for you is a great place to start. You can just drive over and pick them up saving time and maybe some money on shipping. We mill for several local labs. Works out nicely.

M

MarinaDentalCrew

Reaction score
we got up3d , super happy. if you interested i can connect you with representative, compare to ARUM machine its faster, much cheaper and they got best support

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
It’s been five years since I’ve used one of those zenotec minis, if I remember correctly it got the job done for single units, but would struggle with anything else. Most likely due to the fact it was a 4 axis, though I’m not a cnc expert, I’m sure someone here could tell you the benefits of 5 axis vs 4 axis. They also had a weird occasional glitch that would happen once every 2 or 3 hundred units where it would mill out twice the height it was supposed to. Really weird, never found out the cause of it, not sure if it was isolated to just those mills we were using or if other zenotecs had them. If it was me personally I’d outsource a bit until you can get something a bit more robust and 5 axis.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Of course, I'm working that way 3 years...i just wanted to know is it worthy to try for the start with this milling machine

Croatia

The Mini is a good mill, but it's been out there for a long time so I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to get parts and support if needed, especially the spindle, and gromet inserts (rubber that holds the burs in place). How is the spindle, how many hours are on it, can you get it replaced or refurbished in Croatia easily if needed?

Otherwise, it is a great mill for singles and smaller bridges that don't need a lot of nesting attention, or manipulation. With it being 4 axis, only gives you about 10 degrees to level units in the CAM for gradient zirconias to have the Incisal to gingival gradients look right, not tipped to extreme due to the path of insertion, especially on bridges. Concave linguals of anteriors are harder for a 4 axis to "scoop out" and would need to be done in the green state with a handpiece and a diamond or diamond-impregnated rubber wheel.

So if you can get it, and you know it's in good shape, it is a great starter mill and a backup mill for when you get busier and can see what the advantages of a 5 axis mill will be. I started out with a Mini (a lot of labs did, or at least had one),and it is now a backup that I still use for milling some wax-ups more quickly than my 5 axis.

Last edited:
T

toni94

Reaction score
The Mini is a good mill, but it's been out there for a long time so I'm not sure how easy it will be for you to get parts and support if needed, especially the spindle, and gromet inserts (rubber that holds the burs in place). How is the spindle, how many hours are on it, can you get it replaced or refurbished in Croatia easily if needed?

Otherwise, it is a great mill for singles and smaller bridges that don't need a lot of nesting attention, or manipulation. With it being 4 axis, only gives you about 10 degrees to level units in the CAM for gradient zirconias, to have the Incisal to gingival gradients look right, not tipped to extreme due to the path of insertion, especially on bridges. Concave linguals of anteriors are harder for a 4 axis to "scoop out" and would need to be done in the green state with a handpiece and a diamond or diamond-impregnated rubber wheel.

So if you can get it, and you know it's in good shape, it is a great starter mill, and a backup mill for when you get busier and can see what the advantages of a 5 axis mill will be. I started out with a Mini (a lot of labs did, or at least had one),and it is now a backup that I still use for milling some wax-ups more quickly than my 5 axis.
Thank you so much for your detailed description and answer !

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
This is the mill our lab started with. First we outsourced until we got enough Zirconia units coming through the lab to justify buying a mill. The Zenotec mini is a great way to get experience with milling. It was very simple to learn. It won't do screw retained crowns very well. It is great for single unit crowns and bridges. If all goes well, your zirconia will keep growing and you will need a more robust mill in the future. We bought Ivolcar's PM7 after having the Zeno mini for about 5 years. This worked out great for our lab

T

toni94

Reaction score
This is the mill our lab started with. First we outsourced until we got enough Zirconia units coming through the lab to justify buying a mill. The Zenotec mini is a great way to get experience with milling. It was very simple to learn. It won't do screw retained crowns very well. It is great for single unit crowns and bridges. If all goes well, your zirconia will keep growing and you will need a more robust mill in the future. We bought Ivolcar's PM7 after having the Zeno mini for about 5 years. This worked out great for our lab
Tnx

T

toni94

Reaction score
But I'm looking for something better after all this reading your expiriences with zenotec mini...So today I decided to go all in ...ha ha... Do you have opinion on the millin machine WHS E5 ?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Do you mean VHF E5?
If so, we had a lousy experience with VHF for a wet mill, but other people seem to generally have decent things to say if they're doing occasional work. Not so much heavy-duty production. The "no compressed air needed!" thing isn't really a plus, imo, they've just omitted that standard feature entirely and have substituted in a little plastic fan blade on the tool shank, which is something people have been 3D printing forever. It's not the same.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
But I'm looking for something better after all this reading your expiriences with zenotec mini...So today I decided to go all in ...ha ha... Do you have opinion on the millin machine WHS E5 ?
just so happens i know a guy in Croatia who sells mills, call the number i will send you in private message ask to speak with Vieco about their mills

T

toni94

Reaction score
Do you mean VHF E5?
If so, we had a lousy experience with VHF for a wet mill, but other people seem to generally have decent things to say if they're doing occasional work. Not so much heavy-duty production. The "no compressed air needed!" thing isn't really a plus, imo, they've just omitted that standard feature entirely and have substituted in a little plastic fan blade on the tool shank, which is something people have been 3D printing forever. It's not the same.
Yes VHF E5

T

toni94

Reaction score
just so happens i know a guy in Croatia who sells mills, call the number i will send you in private message ask to speak with Vieco about their mills
Yes I know...Vjekoslav Budimir

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Hi, first time today on this forum, i need little help. I received offer to buy Wieland zanotec mini with computer and suction sistem for 3.000 € . My question is , is it worth buying or should i skip it. I would like to go in that direction with business and that is about the budget I have in this moment. So, is it good enough for a start with something like Wieland mini. I don't have to much zirconia on the monthly basis,but quite frankly I'm tired of all that metal ceramics and I'm trying to turn over and simplify workflow in the lab . Thank you!
If that setup is in good working shape for €3k...I'd say go for it, you could even haggle a bit to lower the price, lol ;)... it will pay for itself in no time. Should be a good start to help you cut your teeth in in digital production. When you're ready to invest more into a mill, I'd check these guys out... their built quality is top notch and are located next door.
6xd.png

T

toni94

Reaction score
If that setup is in good working shape for €3k...I'd say go for it, you could even haggle a bit to lower the price, lol ;)... it will pay for itself in no time. Should be a good start to help you cut your teeth in in digital production. When you're ready to invest more into a mill, I'd check these guys out... their built quality is top notch and are located next door.
View attachment 44196
What do you think of VHF E5 ? In the end I'm looking to buy that milling machine maybe

Top Bottom