5years and counting in this industry and still a NEWBIE wants HELP!

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is Krishna from india I don't know how many of you can relate with my journey as a dental technician( I guess I can't even call myself a dental technician ).If you have ever visited a dental lab in India I mean not only the office also the working area you might get what iam trying to say. I don't know where to start, I'll make it short. In 2018 I have joined this field after discounting my bachelor's in electrical engineering from then on till last year I was working in the same lab, I know nothing more than this that I'm just making prosthetic teeth with different materials like acrylic, porcelain, and zirconia that's it.
Furnace is preset to its programs what we do is make a metal or zirconia substructure( even here we don't know how an ideal framework should be) and run the programs in a series by applying opaque then dentine and enamel nothing more no knowledge of shade too bring a tooth like appearance glaze it and deliver it.......
I have no knowledge of what's going in the furnace how materials act at different stages.
BUT being a science student i was curious all the time what actually are these materials what are their properties what we need to consider when using together are individually,
So I quit that lab and met someone who used to be a faculty at a dental college and owns a lab. Then I got to know I have to start with morphology and then materials. Can anyone help me with books or website reference where can I get to learn this from scratch to advanced. What exactly you need to know to do an ideal crown or bridge. How to replicate the exact shade and stains. PLEASE HELP ME.....
You are going to spend years piecing all of the info you need together, and while it can be done and you might turn out to be a fine lab tech, if you sacrifice a couple of years and get proper education in DT, maybe even getting a part time job in the dental school, it's going to give you the missing pieces that you need.

S

SVK

Reaction score
You are going to spend years piecing all of the info you need together, and while it can be done and you might turn out to be a fine lab tech, if you sacrifice a couple of years and get proper education in DT, maybe even getting a part time job in the dental school, it's going to give you the missing pieces that you neetget
Yeah I also thought of joining a Dental college.Even I met some of the diploma holders their suggestion is it's complete waste of time and money the faculty taught them was PG students from their college itself. What ever they got to learn is on their own theory from books and practical from joining a lab.
Can you suggest any specific books for Learning optical properties and colour science in DT

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Yeah I also thought of joining a Dental college.Even I met some of the diploma holders their suggestion is it's complete waste of time and money the faculty taught them was PG students from their college itself. What ever they got to learn is on their own theory from books and practical from joining a lab.
Can you suggest any specific books for Learning optical properties and colour science in DT
I got most my books from dental college bookstores, bonus I had bought Dr Rudd's book and and was carrying that book when I saw and met Dr Rudd and older/younger Dr Shipmans in the hallway going to my class. I also have airforce manuals and various other publications.

S

SVK

Reaction score
I got most my books from dental college bookstores, bonus I had bought Dr Rudd's book and and was carrying that book when I saw and met Dr Rudd and older/younger Dr Shipmans in the hallway going to my class. I also have airforce manuals and various other publications.
Can you help me the isbn numbers.
If you don't mind can you please mail me any book PDFs if available!

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I specialize in dentures which is why I was vague about books, that and the books I have may not be the most up to date lol. You could sign up for one of the many lab conventions and network there, there are many ways in, none of them easy :)

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Oh my, I used to work with the guy in the picture on the dental materials book. He was a tech at UNC Chapel Hill when those books were written. He passed away a few years ago. RIP Tommy Schmitt. He invented the Virginia Partial.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Yep. I have all of Dr Rudd's and companies books. He was a nice guy. That said they do mention throwng out all the labstone of you accidentally get a drop of water in it lol. If it was my book I would say"gently remove drop of water and don't throw out stone." :)

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Yep. I have all of Dr Rudd's and companies books. He was a nice guy. That said they do mention throwng out all the lab stone of you accidentally get a drop of water in the bin lol. If it was my book I would say"gently remove drop of water and don't throw out stone." :)

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
Wheeler's Dental Anatomy, Physiology, & Occlusion

As for color, sure you can learn color theory from a book or online however, replicating natural enamel is more in depth. You'll need talent/ time/ experience or give yourself a head start with eLab

Find your 'greats' and go see them in action via a course/ lecture

Stay hungry

S

SVK

Reaction score
Wheeler's Dental Anatomy, Physiology, & Occlusion

As for color, sure you can learn color theory from a book or online however, replicating natural enamel is more in depth. You'll need talent/ time/ experience or give yourself a head start with eLab

Find your 'greats' and go see them in action via a course/ lecture

Stay hungry
Thankyou! what's elab?