So this is what Jim Glidewell thinks of you.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Its always happened. As long as ive been in business.
But Jim made it a national campaign and built his business on price.
Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black if I am reading this correctly.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Agreed.
In the prior PFM era, labs could differentiate their products. In the present FCZ CAD/CAM era, there is little differentiation between labs except $ Price and service.
The large lab can absorb high remake rate for bad dentists.
I have good dentists that have been satisfied by Glidewell. Their work is acceptable at a good price. They are a serious competitive threat!

Many labs selling bottled water. All the same but just with different package.
It takes a determined effort and time to try to set yourself apart. Not easy to do but most are not motivated till its too late.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't care what other labs are doing anymore.
I don't care what Jimmy thinks of me.
I don't care if some dentists want to mill chairside and
I don't care if buying a milling machine will give me an ROI in 1 year,or2,or3.

I do care that the Sens win game 3 and that it doesn't rain this weekend so I can get my garden started.

G

grant somers

Reaction score
It is amazing that the guy that has just about single handedly destroyed the American lab industry by low pricing and indifferent quality decides that others are stupid....

According to JIm Glidewell,
"In any business where price is the deciding factor, the dumbest competitor will get the most business until he goes out of business," he wrote in an email. Large dental groups “can use the lab until they go broke, then they move on to the next dumbest suitor!" So is he describing his own business competing with offshore work?

Thanks Jim! I do not know if there is enough lube to make that one "Glidewell."

So here is my take on the dental world......if dentists would have one standard ......and that is to place the best restoration for the patient ....then they would be looking for quality only....do medical doctors place sub-standard stents in heart patients? No ....they have ethics.......so why have most of the worlds dentists taken an oath to 'do the best work for the patient" and then throw that out the window once they get into business? Back in the day this was the norm and there were only a few dentists out there that had 'no worries' attitude ......nowadays.....anything goes.......I blame the ones we send the work to that accept crap work they breed these poor quality labs.......yes I am generalising ......I apologise for that..... if it were only untrue.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I've said this somewhere before but it bears repeating. Shoppers will pay 4-500 dollars for a new outfit, several times a year. So why won't they spend 200 on something that goes into their mouth and lasts 20 years? Marketing. Education. The patient (and dentist ) must be made aware of this.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I've said this somewhere before but it bears repeating. Shoppers will pay 4-500 dollars for a new outfit, several times a year. So why won't they spend 200 on something that goes into their mouth and lasts 20 years? Marketing. Education. The patient (and dentist ) must be made aware of this.
They're paying $1,000+ for that something that goes into their mouth, they don't have any idea how much of that 1K the lab gets anymore than a shopper knows how much the Indonesian 11 year old gets paid to make that $500 outfit.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
They're paying $1,000+ for that something that goes into their mouth, they don't have any idea how much of that 1K the lab gets anymore than a shopper knows how much the Indonesian 11 year old gets paid to make that $500 outfit.
Correct! ?..ed. :)

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
the big problem isnt the cutting of prices by glidewell and others. the big problem is the massive increase in the cost of goods sold (CoGS) and the cost of doing business in the country.
lets all point the fingers at ourselves for a bit first. WE are the ones voting the same ppl into office making the same mistakes every 2-4 years. educate yourselves people. more government intervention has never been the answer, nor will it ever be.
YES. THIS ALL DAY.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
It is amazing that the guy that has just about single handedly destroyed the American lab industry by low pricing and indifferent quality decides that others are stupid....

According to JIm Glidewell,
"In any business where price is the deciding factor, the dumbest competitor will get the most business until he goes out of business," he wrote in an email. Large dental groups “can use the lab until they go broke, then they move on to the next dumbest suitor!" So is he describing his own business competing with offshore work?

Thanks Jim! I do not know if there is enough lube to make that one "Glidewell."
The question is: What do you think of the Morally Bankrupt Billionaire running the worlds largest dental lab!

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Perhaps instead of blaming competitors, small labs should look at how they can provide better value and market that value. Glidewell is only successful because they offer value and can effectively sell their products.

If as a business owner, you are constantly blaming others for taking your accounts, you won't be around long. Our lab is thriving and taking business FROM Glidewell. There is no price that a product should cost. There is the price that the market can bear. Recognize that, along with how to provide value to your doctors, you will thrive.

doug

doug

Reaction score
How is JG Morally Bankrupt? I don't know him, but I respect his business skill. Enquiring minds and all that Hmmmm2

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
Us business owners here on this forum are not the problem..... the employed sheep are the problem. Voting is a majority. Sheep always win.
As a general rule, the sheep never vote.

Top Bottom