What this industry needs

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Rob, There was a grandfather clause for labs in 86' when they passed the Texas lab law. I could have gone that way but decided to retest after letting my CDT laps. The law states there will be a CDT or equivalent in the lab 35 hr a week or 100% of the time which ever one is larger. You do not need to be a CDT to own a lab here just have one on staff.

Any tech with the ability to pass the CDT test as some background and skills and those that will not test but have the skill set are not doing themselves or this industry a service in the long run if they don't test.

We have two CDT's in our lab in China and one is there about 60 hr every week and a CDT in our Texas distribution center and no lab work is even do there. Those domestic labs that think they are being asked to do to much to comply need to walk in my shoes a day or two.

Tom

Last edited:
GAP

GAP

Reaction score
Fair enough GAP, and you're right I shouldn't of read into it as just another troll here on DLN. Hence, why I moved on as fast as I did. I apologize as well.

When I asked you about credentialed and certified in regard to Mark's comments I was really trying to explain a difference and discuss the problem currently. Just because someone is certified (CDT, MDT, RGT) doesn't really mean anything other than they are probably competent enough to get themselves in trouble. There is folks out here in the real world with nothing behind there last name that could walk circles around me with there eyes shut. On the flip side though, you can't have Joe Blow down the street who doesn't know a damn thing about a commercial dental lab making teeth in substandard ways and conditions. So what gives? Do you take all the CDT's, MDT's, and RG's who are certified and then grandfather anyone else that has the credentials to own a lab?
Your right, its bad have every Tom,****,and Harry out there making prosthetics in substandard ways. To grandfather people in ok in my book. I guess you could treat like a job interview, have the tech get references from dentists they've done work for etc. My first thought was that a responsible dentist would visit a lab to see if it was up to par, and let them be the filter for substandard labs. Ultimately its there responsibility anyway and I think good dentists would do that anyway if a lab were certified or not. But with so much work going overseas (or to some dude working out of the backroom at an abandoned '7 Eleven') negates such a thought.

Who decides this?

Dentists as a filter for bad labs--ehh. NADL?--doubtful. The NBC--heck no. they havent even changed the RG exam in 10+yrs. I used past exams & practice tests my instructors had to study. those knuckleheads just switch the order of the questions. You could memorize a question and memorize if it was 'a' 'b' etc and get 100%.You didnt even need to know the worded answer. It was pathetic.

I know there is a few state associations that made it law a 'certified' technician is the only one who can own a dental lab. Then what about the lab tech who got pissed at the NADL for not making a stance towards offshoring and gave up his CDT license in protest?
One of the benefits of maintaining the CDT shows dentists that you take CE courses and your 'on top of things' so to speak. Although I dont know if CE means too much since most are a sales pitch or a mind numbing repeat of what you heard last year. The CDT exams havent changed much over the years have they? As long as he showed proof of CE credits, it would be ok in my book.

Does he fall into the 'credentialed' category?
I would think so. But CE would be a must.

...and should there be?
Should credentials exist? Yes. Certifying people and labs adds credibility to the profession. Maybe...maybe, incorporate it into a bill, not a law. That way it needs to be renewed periodically and certifications are forced to stay relevant or be discarded.
I'm curious how TX, SC, and KY made there state law and if it had a grandfather cause in it. Your thoughts GAP?

Your questions help me to think more objectively. My original thought was the CDT was no longer relevant, not held in high regard, and therefore not worth pursuing and certainly not good enough to legislate. But it does test the basic things that make a good tech. good hand & eye and able to follow directions. I told ya, looooong winded!

Now, I have to go study for my CDT!--hehe

Last edited:
GAP

GAP

Reaction score
Rob, There was a grandfather clause for labs in 86' when they passed the Texas lab law. I could have gone that way but decided to retest after letting my CDT laps.

Tom

Tom, do you remember it the exam was much different than the first time your took it? Just curious as how much they update them

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
The first time was in 74' and I took the written so hung over (I was 23)I wobbled through it and passed. Then NBC sent us models to do the practical and to my shame they were run through the lab and sent in. That's why I let it go. It had no standing with anyone.

The next time in 86' I took the written and it seemed real easy but the only tests that are hard are the ones you don't know the answers to. I did my on-site practical at UT and passed but I had two employees with me that had an AS in DT and two years in the lab and they both failed. I never studied but told myself if this test is to hard from a 15 years tech that owns his on lab to pass with what he brings to it then either I need more training or the failure rate should be 99%.

If you don't know the specialty you are doing the on-site practical for its not that easy. Much better test now than in the 70's

Last edited:
GAP

GAP

Reaction score
You do know there is a difference between 'credentialed' and 'certified' correct?

Just read this on NBC's website:
The CDL requirements says that a credentialed lab is one that employes 1 CDT per 15 technicians. There's Nothin' like making a fool of myself on the internet!

Top Bottom