Anybody know what causes this?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Medit scanner, RC scan body. All the details have been quadruple checked, the correct scan body is in the system and the Dr is using the correct scan body. The entire scanned in scan body scan is a tenth of a mm larger than it should be. Its like this throughout the entire length of the scan body. Rescanning doesn't help.

Attachments

• meditscanbodyRC.JPG
    meditscanbodyRC.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 46
KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Straumann rc. The genuine straumann one, not a third party

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
When's the last time you updated your straumann implant library?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Checked on it like a month ago, it’s fully updated, unless they came out with something new in the past couple weeks. No other RCs are coming through like this, the other ones are aligning perfectly

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Then I'd be curious if that scanbody has been altered. I know a lot of them are made out of pekkton, when heated (in an autoclave) to sterilize they alter...pekkton is a high performance polymer and although you can mill it, it's usually melted and then pressed. I've had this happen a few times, assistants put the scanbody in the wrong autoclave or used the wrong temp, it shrunk them.

I'd send him a new scanbody and compare/contrast to see if you get the same results.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Well sounds like a calibration issue and doctors tend to use the same scanbody too long. If the surface is glossy, then the results are inconsistent.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Then I'd be curious if that scanbody has been altered. I know a lot of them are made out of pekkton, when heated (in an autoclave) to sterilize they alter...pekkton is a high performance polymer and although you can mill it, it's usually melted and then pressed. I've had this happen a few times, assistants put the scanbody in the wrong autoclave or used the wrong temp, it shrunk them.

I'd send him a new scanbody and compare/contrast to see if you get the same results.
This ended up being the solution, thankyou! According to straumann their scan bodies are supposed to be one time use, and if you do sterilize them then you shouldn’t do that more than 10 times or so because it warps the scan body too much. This drs been sterilizing it a bunch, so pretty sure that’s what was going on.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Woah! One time use?!? Aren’t they like $45?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This ended up being the solution, thankyou! According to straumann their scan bodies are supposed to be one time use, and if you do sterilize them then you shouldn’t do that more than 10 times or so because it warps the scan body too much. This drs been sterilizing it a bunch, so pretty sure that’s what was going on.
I have drs using these scan bodies for years. I get exact alignment each and every time without any issues. I call baloney on Straumann.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I have drs using these scan bodies for years. I get exact alignment each and every time without any issues. I call baloney on Straumann.
Maybe there’s some difference in how this drs sterilizing them. Who knows. I’ve seen drs re use the same scan body forever as well without any issue, but I mean it does make sense that heat will warp that peek material, there’s entire case studies about it. Weird thing though is that all the case studies say that heat shrinks the material, but this one had increased in size slightly. So maybe that isn’t the correct answer. I suppose I’ll find out when he scans in a brand new scan body.

Another thing to note is that I’ve seen this before at a different lab I was working at, it was for a Sirona scanner, so different scanner, but also a genuine straumann scan body. Looked exactly the same, the whole scan body was a tenth of a mm larger than it should be. We ended up sending him out a third party scan body and everything was fine after that.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I know you probably checked it, but did you try the NC scanbody or RB? Its slightly smaller and maybe they told you the wrong one

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I know you probably checked it, but did you try the NC scanbody or RB? Its slightly smaller and maybe they told you the wrong one
Yeah, that was the first thing I did, I checked every other platform just to be sure

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Cold sterile versus heat sterilizing is the reasoning. Cold sterilizing is frowned upon in the USA....goes back to a Doc doing shady shlt and they did some big investigation on the news back in the 80s, I don't remember the specifics.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Cold sterile versus heat sterilizing is the reasoning. Cold sterilizing is frowned upon in the USA....goes back to a Doc doing shady shlt and they did some big investigation on the news back in the 80s, I don't remember the specifics.
They use heat sterilization for all scan bodies here too.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Maybe there’s some difference in how this drs sterilizing them. Who knows. I’ve seen drs re use the same scan body forever as well without any issue, but I mean it does make sense that heat will warp that peek material, there’s entire case studies about it. Weird thing though is that all the case studies say that heat shrinks the material, but this one had increased in size slightly. So maybe that isn’t the correct answer. I suppose I’ll find out when he scans in a brand new scan body.

Another thing to note is that I’ve seen this before at a different lab I was working at, it was for a Sirona scanner, so different scanner, but also a genuine straumann scan body. Looked exactly the same, the whole scan body was a tenth of a mm larger than it should be. We ended up sending him out a third party scan body and everything was fine after that.
There is a setting for plastics which they use for many other instruments as well as scanner tips .

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Here’s a screenshot of a Straumann nc alignment from a Trios scan. I can assure you this scan body has been used more than 10 times.
IMG_1349.jpeg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Straumann Rc. Different dr from today.Trios scan.
IMG_1350.jpeg

Top Bottom