Help me understand the Digital implant impressions process!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This is awesome! Thanks Everyone! If you think you're posting too long, it just means you're being in depth and informative. Thanks.
Still looking to play soon, soon being a highly fluid term...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This new generation wants a step by step for everything.:rolleyes:
Seems no one has taught them how to think for themselves.
Have to teach yourself that most times. Sure isn't taught in schools.

I've picked up most of what is being said here by reading everything y'all have posted for the last few years, but confirmation is always nice.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I've picked some great taco ideas here.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Have to teach yourself that most times. Sure isn't taught in schools.

I've picked up most of what is being said here by reading everything y'all have posted for the last few years, but confirmation is always nice.
That is how a lot of learned and figured this stuff out. Reading mainly, but also a lot of experimenting and overcoming obstacles.
If you don't figure it out on your own you're going to be at the mercy of the corporates.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
@ CHL. Thanks for responding. If I understand, the 3rd question correctly; if not I stand corrected. The DIM has the analogs already integrated... No? If yes, then you'll be rescanning, And if so, then you can use whatever scanbodies (EOS) extraoral. that will provide the desired workflow and result. No need to use identical IOS scanbodies ad+ this point....No?

@ Affinity and 2th..... I hope youré not refering to me....thanks for the compliment...:D

Just to clear up the air...pim intended....
I'm sem olde fart..... Stale too! If you dont believe me ....stand close.... :D:D:D

Im Just being contra, so to speak. The OP hasn't been back. That's why i responded that way to his post. He sounded ignorant but very demanding..... Anyways our guys stepped in an shared valuable insight..... Now Im milking it fwiw.... Didn't want it to go to waste.

Thanks CHL and Sevan P....!!! Props.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
This new generation wants a step by step for everything.:rolleyes:
Seems no one has taught them how to think for themselves.

Blame it on the older generation....

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
dmon, with IOS cases you dont usually start by having a model, and then making the abutment/hybrid.

you start by digitally designing the abutment/hybrid, and then optionally making a model.

except in the case of iTero, as israel wants to be the model manufacturer so they provide you a model - but even then you will still get a scan with the scanbody and import the digital scan data to work - and not rescan the model with your own body.

i suppose you could do it the way you suggest, but it means making iTero the model manufacturer and waiting on them to finish, and being restricted in whatever implant platforms they are compatible with. if they cant make a case for jimbob brand 4.8mm implant or glorai mcfooglemoogle's brand of implant 4.73mm ... you have to be using a big brand that iTero is partnered with.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The OP hasn't been back. That's why i responded that way to his post. He sounded ignorant but very demanding.....
Hence the sarcasm from me. Really? Contribute nothing here and demand answers to your nebulous questions. There is a search function here. If you can't
figure that out.......

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Hence the sarcasm from me. Really? Contribute nothing here and demand answers to your nebulous questions. There is a search function here. If you can't
figure that out.......
happens really a lot more than we seem to realize.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
My point exactly ...from scan to abutment design.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
right, but if you wanted to make your own 3dprinted model you need to have a scanobody and DIM analog supplier. they ship you the analog for you to snap into the printed model socket (generated specifically for that analog). since you already digitally aligned the data to create the proper analog placement, you should then also have the ability to design the case data (the hybrid/abutment) without rescanning the DIM.

rescanning is just adding a layer of complexity.

it would really only be necessary in the specific case where your abutment cannot be designed via the IOS bodies. for example, you need to make a ti abutment and you use NT bodies to do that, but the doc scanned using some other system. yes in that specifc circumstance you will need to fabricate a model, and rescan the model using NT bodies, to create your Ti abutment.

in 99% of all other *cases though, you can work with just the one scan.

edited to add: the above case is just poor integration into the implant design process. its the cheap way, not the right way.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
figure that out.......
Litr'cy is ded.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
right, but if you wanted to make your own 3dprinted model you need to have a scanobody and DIM analog supplier. they ship you the analog for you to snap into the printed model socket (generated specifically for that analog). since you already digitally aligned the data to create the proper analog placement, you should then also have the ability to design the case data (the hybrid/abutment) without rescanning the DIM.

rescanning is just adding a layer of complexity.

it would really only be necessary in the specific case where your abutment cannot be designed via the IOS bodies. for example, you need to make a ti abutment and you use NT bodies to do that, but the doc scanned using some other system. yes in that specifc circumstance you will need to fabricate a model, and rescan the model using NT bodies, to create your Ti abutment.

in 99% of all other *cases though, you can work with just the one scan.

edited to add: the above case is just poor integration into the implant design process. its the cheap way, not the right way.

My Bad! ,,,Sure it has to be done that way, I just asumed OP was sending it (DIM) to be made.

also on the rescanning... I agree... then there really isn't an issue. One can use another SB that's available as long as its compatible with make and size of whats in the model at that point. No need to use the exact SB that was used during IOS. Right? thats all I was saying. So if an abutment can be designed and made directly from the IOS then there really isn't a need for lab SBs unless you're doing a DIM...

Top Bottom