So this is what Jim Glidewell thinks of you.

doug

doug

Reaction score
The minimum wage is the government saying to us that the least we can pay a slave is X dollars. I've never paid minimum wage to anyone, even entry level is treated with more respect than that. We're not making widgets, or bagging burgers

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
in a true open and fair market place, generally prices WOULD drop....

Which is why e.max products keep going up every year- well beyond the amount we can increase fees, then they use the courts to try to block competition.

The minimum wage is the government saying to us that the least we can pay a slave is X dollars. I've never paid minimum wage to anyone, even entry level is treated with more respect than that. We're not making widgets, or bagging burgers

No, we are "cobbling together fake teeth from porcelain, zirconia or polyurethane." according to the article.

What is this alleged 'email' conversation anyways??

http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/...-dental-laboratory-imports.25947/#post-250860
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...eth-are-a-battlefield-as-trump-takes-on-trade

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Us business owners here on this forum are not the problem..... the employed sheep are the problem. Voting is a majority. Sheep always win.
Maybe I'm missing something here... but it sounds to me like you're saying anyone who works as an employee is stupid.
Care to enlighten this employed technician?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If your a high end lab and it charge high for your work cause you redo factor low then any of your doctor's who said gloedwell does it for X amount, this is what you tell them.

Hey doctor, on a scale of 50 to 100 where do you place yourself for how good of a dentist you are? If they say anything higher ed then 50 like 85 or 90 this is what you tell them in the most non offensive way, LOL!

Dr, you place yourself at 85 gloedwell does the bottom 50 of the industry, your saying your 85 but having work done by a sub 50 lab, so your not really at 85 your at 50. Lol see what reaction they have.

Gloedwell has mad it a lot harder for use to compete along with dental insuramce paying Jack for crowns it is a kill or be killed industry. Unless the doctors who think highly of themselves and their client will invest in a quality lab, I still see this out there so it is not completely dead.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
It is amazing that the guy that has just about single handedly destroyed the American lab industry by low pricing and indifferent quality decides that others are stupid....

According to JIm Glidewell,
"In any business where price is the deciding factor, the dumbest competitor will get the most business until he goes out of business," he wrote in an email. Large dental groups “can use the lab until they go broke, then they move on to the next dumbest suitor!" So is he describing his own business competing with offshore work?

Thanks Jim! I do not know if there is enough lube to make that one "Glidewell."
The good news is Glidewell is slowing down technically and growth. They lost technology lead with loss of technical innovators quitting or fired. They are "resting on their laurels" with the circular self gratifications lead by their pompous COO. Launch of Crown World is an attempt to regain loosing market share and stagnate growth.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If your a high end lab and it charge high for your work cause you redo factor low then any of your doctor's who said gloedwell does it for X amount, this is what you tell them.

Hey doctor, on a scale of 50 to 100 where do you place yourself for how good of a dentist you are? If they say anything higher ed then 50 like 85 or 90 this is what you tell them in the most non offensive way, LOL!

Dr, you place yourself at 85 gloedwell does the bottom 50 of the industry, your saying your 85 but having work done by a sub 50 lab, so your not really at 85 your at 50. Lol see what reaction they have.

Gloedwell has mad it a lot harder for use to compete along with dental insuramce paying Jack for crowns it is a kill or be killed industry. Unless the doctors who think highly of themselves and their client will invest in a quality lab, I still see this out there so it is not completely dead.

The analogy is more like, the Dr has no problem giving Chevy (or insert chinese equivalent) crowns to his patients while driving an Audi himself. It doesnt necessarily lower his technical ability because he sees it as still getting from point A to point B. Most Drs will just say its 'identical'. Willing to put up with being in the shop more, for lower cost of ownership. Drs dont feel guilty for giving their patients a good 'value', and its harder and harder to make them feel that way.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The analogy is more like, the Dr has no problem giving Chevy (or insert chinese equivalent) crowns to his patients while driving an Audi himself. It doesnt necessarily lower his technical ability because he sees it as still getting from point A to point B. Most Drs will just say its 'identical'. Willing to put up with being in the shop more, for lower cost of ownership. Drs dont feel guilty for giving their patients a good 'value', and its harder and harder to make them feel that way.

But unfortunately, the patients aren't receiving the "value" $$ on their end, being charged the same price either way for a crown. Maybe we can say the Dr is just practicing good business economics and also due to the lesser insurance reimbursements. Maybe I'd be doing too, if I were on the other side of the fence as a Dr?

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Then that doctor is not a true doctor. Sorry but quality doctors use quality labs for quality work. All everyone wants to do now is a make a buck. They are businessmen not doctors. It is the sad truth. We have a account that is so bad at preps and is nagging for the lowest doesn't really care for the sake of the patient but more for the wealth of his business, he recently has three practices, bought a forth and is remodeling to down size to two. Each practice has 4+ opps, how can one doctor run an 2x4 opp places with out an associate? The guy is in and out never takes his own impressions, assistants suck at it his preps are horrible and all he cares about is the cost if his crown. I would not and will not ever recommend him or any doctor like that to even my worst enemy.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Just remember that anyone who is licensed has passed a test that only measures the minimum level of competency in the field. It doesn't check a persons moral character, perception of intangible value, or dedication to their field. This holds true for plumbers as well as dentists, even lab techs have a minimum standard test, a lot of you on here bash it because you're "better" than the test. That's how some of the worst dentists feel about their licensing exam. If you don't have a starting point, you don't know what to fix in order to get truly better. You don't know what you don't know.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
But unfortunately, the patients aren't receiving the "value" $$ on their end, being charged the same price either way for a crown. Maybe we can say the Dr is just practicing good business economics and also due to the lesser insurance reimbursements. Maybe I'd be doing too, if I were on the other side of the fence as a Dr?
Agreed.
In the prior PFM era, labs could differentiate their products. In the present FCZ CAD/CAM era, there is little differentiation between labs except $ Price and service.
The large lab can absorb high remake rate for bad dentists.
I have good dentists that have been satisfied by Glidewell. Their work is acceptable at a good price. They are a serious competitive threat!

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here... but it sounds to me like you're saying anyone who works as an employee is stupid.
Care to enlighten this employed technician?

I was responding regarding the gov't. and this quote specifically :
"the big problem isnt the cutting of prices by glidewell and others. the big problem is the massive increase in the cost of goods sold (CoGS) and the cost of doing business in the country.
lets all point the fingers at ourselves for a bit first. WE are the ones voting the same ppl into office making the same mistakes every 2-4 years. educate yourselves people. more government intervention has never been the answer, nor will it ever be."

I have been a employee all my life.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Just remember that anyone who is licensed has passed a test that only measures the minimum level of competency in the field. It doesn't check a persons moral character, perception of intangible value, or dedication to their field. This holds true for plumbers as well as dentists, even lab techs have a minimum standard test, a lot of you on here bash it because you're "better" than the test. That's how some of the worst dentists feel about their licensing exam. If you don't have a starting point, you don't know what to fix in order to get truly better. You don't know what you don't know.

What do you call the person that graduates dental school at the top of their class? Dr.
What do you call the person that graduates dental school last in their class? Dr.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Even these 2 people have "Dr." in front of their names Laugh

images (1).jpg download.jpg

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Remember Dr. Strange Love? I forget what his screen name was, something like MAC1978 or something like that?
Edit: @drm313mac, that was his screen name.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
We all know there is no such thing as a perfect dentist, its like finding a unicorn.
Dentistry is a pyramid scheme! Nothing says quality dentistry like a free TV!
TV-Giveaway-2826m.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
It is amazing that the guy that has just about single handedly destroyed the American lab industry by low pricing and indifferent quality decides that others are stupid....

According to JIm Glidewell,
"In any business where price is the deciding factor, the dumbest competitor will get the most business until he goes out of business," he wrote in an email. Large dental groups “can use the lab until they go broke, then they move on to the next dumbest suitor!" So is he describing his own business competing with offshore work?

Thanks Jim! I do not know if there is enough lube to make that one "Glidewell."
Huh ????
What is he saying ??
Is he complaining about labs that undercut prices ???
He built his business on price. He drove them down undercutting many labs. Now he is complaining it is going too low ?

Top Bottom