So this is what Jim Glidewell thinks of you.

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
It is amazing that the guy that has just about single handedly destroyed the American lab industry by low pricing and indifferent quality decides that others are stupid....

According to JIm Glidewell,
"In any business where price is the deciding factor, the dumbest competitor will get the most business until he goes out of business," he wrote in an email. Large dental groups “can use the lab until they go broke, then they move on to the next dumbest suitor!" So is he describing his own business competing with offshore work?

Thanks Jim! I do not know if there is enough lube to make that one "Glidewell."

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It is amazing that the guy that has just about single handedly destroyed the American lab industry by low pricing and indifferent quality decides that others are stupid....

"In any business where price is the deciding factor, the dumbest competitor will get the most business until he goes out of business," he wrote in an email. Large dental groups “can use the lab until they go broke, then they move on to the next dumbest suitor!" So is he describing his own business competing with offshore work?

As much as I wish you were right, as it was pointed out to me today, a Dentist seated that POS. We can blame the guy selling cheap stuff all we want, but if low quality wasn't bought...

Some time ago Oscar Wilde commented that "Americans know the price of everything, but the value of nothing" Sadly, not much has changed. A blender in the 50's would last three generations, try finding one now that will last 3 years.

We *all* scream "Cheaper, Cheaper" I buy supplies from 3 places, and if the 'store brand' pumice or gloves are cheaper, they get tried. If something is cheaper from Aaron at Uhler that I usually get from Chris at Benco, well, sorry Chris, maybe next time...

Still, it was a pretty twerpishly worded comment. But he doesn't care about his image with the people that'll get bent over it. And I wonder if he's talking about himself vs US or non-US based, also if he's familiar with Standard Oil...

Last edited:
doug

doug

Reaction score
He speaks the truth. You've seen your own competitors lower their fees to acquire more business. It's a poor business model, but it works for some, for awhile. JG has a lot of data to support his fees, that doesn't mean you have to go there, just that he can be in a profitable realm for his type of work. Look at the work that you see on here that is well beyond what is offered by price cutting labs. Aim for that and keep learning.

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score

"Glidewell Machine" thinks of us as either worthless or worth something. If worth something, after your money and knowledge and then be discarded toward their ambition and agenda. Watch Out!

rgkbmk

rgkbmk

Reaction score
"I would rather get a dollar from a hundred works then make the hundred by doing it myself" WIlliam Mellon said it like that I think. Fact is Jim a business man who new the numbers. Theres making money doing low cost and their loosing money at low cost. Jim sold out to recently I heard. Plus their scripts no longer say "made in america"

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score

Labs selling Bruxzir are not doing themselves or US any favors. They are competing directly against their material supplier. There are too many better zirconia suppliers to use that are not trying to destroy US. BOYCOTT GLIDEWELL!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
18157496_10154877813563876_1809986901074211664_n.png

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
His era is ending soon hopefully.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
not the only one ending soon either.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
the big problem isnt the cutting of prices by glidewell and others. the big problem is the massive increase in the cost of goods sold (CoGS) and the cost of doing business in the country.
lets all point the fingers at ourselves for a bit first. WE are the ones voting the same ppl into office making the same mistakes every 2-4 years. educate yourselves people. more government intervention has never been the answer, nor will it ever be.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Why is him telling the truth a problem? Are you a business or a job? I am quite guilty of consciously keeping my work "cheap" in hopes I may hook a new client or two. Lots of labs open because a good/ great tech saw the potential $$$.... but are they successful business people? There is the problem-- in any industry. The Difference Between Doing Work and Making Money.." . I think I just might write a book now that I have a title....

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
the big problem isnt the cutting of prices by glidewell and others. the big problem is the massive increase in the cost of goods sold (CoGS) and the cost of doing business in the country.
lets all point the fingers at ourselves for a bit first. WE are the ones voting the same ppl into office making the same mistakes every 2-4 years. educate yourselves people. more government intervention has never been the answer, nor will it ever be.

Us business owners here on this forum are not the problem..... the employed sheep are the problem. Voting is a majority. Sheep always win.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

this is globally false.

the only way it is true is in application to Dental.

in manufacturing wood or metal or any other industrial thing even electronics - if you are off spec, your client will find someone who will make it on spec. there arent second chances.

some manufacturers will outsource jobs when they reach capacity, and others do it on principle, but all of the time it comes down to quality. if you don't have that, you can do it for free and you still wont get work.

in dental you can do it cheap and still get clients.

thats the difference.

edited to add: in dental everything is subjective. theres no 'spec' to make to. copings, crowns, dentures, just have to be made as functional. aesthetics vary from person to person, from client to client, but function has to be there. this is PROBABLY why some dentists buy into the cerec; you'll get it functional, but thats about all. you wont get cutback for porcelain, and you won't get a multi layerd unit. hell, you'll probably get open margins if you are a hack, but it will function.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
What is this alleged 'email' conversation anyways??

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Us business owners here on this forum are not the problem..... the employed sheep are the problem. Voting is a majority. Sheep always win.
we are not a democracy. a majority vote doesnt mean a thing unless its your local state and county.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
in a true open and fair market place, generally prices WOULD drop. for good reason. science and tech would allow us to be more efficient for less $. but the science and tech we have now costs ever more and more and keeps that from happening. additionally, and prob more important are the costs just to open and sustain a business. im not attacking business owners. and while i dont agree with what glidewell has done to the industry, i admire his business mind for doing what no one else has. i am, however, saying we should be looking at each other for this. not at jim g. unless of course you agree with the fiscal and regulatory state of the nation, and you also would not trade places with JG

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in a true open and fair market place, generally prices WOULD drop. for good reason. science and tech would allow us to be more efficient for less $. but the science and tech we have now costs ever more and more and keeps that from happening. additionally, and prob more important are the costs just to open and sustain a business. im not attacking business owners. and while i dont agree with what glidewell has done to the industry, i admire his business mind for doing what no one else has. i am, however, saying we should be looking at each other for this. not at jim g. unless of course you agree with the fiscal and regulatory state of the nation, and you also would not trade places with JG
why is manufacturing in china so cheap?

because they are willing and allowed to pay them like slaves.

this is why we have a minimum wage. otherwise most of new orleans would look like shanghai. destitute people living on the street, looking for employment where they can work indoors for 16 hrs a day and be occupied.

the best the usa has to offer in that regard is private prison. it wouldn't be so bad if it werent working for private companies but rather the government, state prisons.

and instead of employing prisoners, they should accept resumes.

then you'd have a labour market in line with china.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
why is manufacturing in china so cheap?

because they are willing and allowed to pay them like slaves.

this is why we have a minimum wage. otherwise most of new orleans would look like shanghai. destitute people living on the street, looking for employment where they can work indoors for 16 hrs a day and be occupied.

the best the usa has to offer in that regard is private prison. it wouldn't be so bad if it werent working for private companies but rather the government, state prisons.

and instead of employing prisoners, they should accept resumes.

then you'd have a labour market in line with china.
thats not accurate at all. china doesnt have free market or anything close to it.
i dont completely agree with you on min wages. i dont believe government bodies have anyones interest in mind except expanding their own power. demanding we pay certain prices for labor or for healthcare (ACA) are not free market policies and are precisely forced taxes/fees/whatever you want to call them.
theres sooooo much more to this topic it would take hours and hours for us to debate, and i fear neither would change the others opinion upon the subject at hand. so i will just leave it at this.

Top Bottom