Origin Intelligence (assessment)

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I apologize for my tardiness but as you know the lab life can be a little overwhelming at times.

I didn't take any videos, if you guys really want me to I will. I did take some pictures (below). This is after using this system for approximately two months. Please note that I didn't discuss anything to Origin (B&D) about what I'm going to share with you and they will probably love me or hate me after this. Unlike other folks, I only have 10K wrapped up in this adventure so I don't have to convince myself or anyone this was a good purchase. Please note and more importantly, that we are still in our infancy with this and I'll probably share something here that has already been addressed. So folks want to know if the scanner is worth it?????? Is it worth the 7,500 they area asking for it? Well let's clear that up real quick. It's not 'really' 7,500, because it's another 500 to have it shipped to your business. Then, unless you know Origin's software, you better plan on sending yourself and some your folks who want to be trained (which was another 2K for us, but depending how close you are to Utah that may be different). The training is a must, don't buy this machine thinking you're the best thing since sliced bread, go to it to fine tune and make yourself faster. I sent two of my guys out to Utah, very little dental knowledge but we had the machine almost three weeks before they went out there. I have to admit, through a few phone calls with 'Jim' at B&D my guys were scanning full contour consistently on a regular basis. That way when they went there it was more about homing in on the harder things to do in designing and scanning. So that brings us to the Pro's vs. Con's.

Pro's - The designing software is some of the fastest and most accurate I have seen on the market. The 'designing' portion of this scanner is FAST.
- The Price, you get a computer with the origin and windows installed ready to go with the scanner and all the technical advice you need for 8K at your doorstep.
-Technical advice, awesome, from the sales staff to the technical side. If you would like something added to the software on the next update then call up Jessie or Jim and they'll put it on the list. Jessie is the software designer (well him and his team) but you get to talk to the guy who designed it. Doesn't get much better than that.
-Accuracy, the zirconia and bruxzir (and I imagine the titanium as well) are accurate as all get out. I throw these under my scopes and they are just as good, if not better than what I cast. Most of you have seen my work, I'm a picky bastard :)
-The Price, very reasonable, the BruxZir's are 38 dollars, Zirconia copings 35 dollars, and PMMA's (a hard wax) are 7 dollars. That's to your doorstep, no shipping charges. When the implant software is released, they said you can get Titanium custom abutments for 125 dollars.
-Keeping it Simple, this is something that must be a pro because I've seen the vast anatomy libraries and all these options and those options on some of these scanners and guess what...this doesn't have that. It's friggin' simple.
-Communication - I take a ton of screen shots in the designing software and email those off to my Doctors to talk about a case. Within seconds or while they are on the phone I can change designs, take a screen shot, and email it to them while they are telling me about a new wine selection on the phone. Communication is HUGE with my clients, I know some labs out there shy away from this, but I have a big mouth and use it to my advantage.
-Production- I use to be in the big production labs, so let me run this scenario by you production folks if you're reading this. What about you use a 3Shape scanner to scan with, will take you less than 5 minutes to do a full contour versus Origin's 15 minutes. Then with your 3Shape scan file only, put that into the Origin design software (no need for the scanner, only the software) to DESIGN only because it's so fast. You could be pumping out full contour's in a few minutes with that combination...just a thought.
-Update's/Price - There is new updates coming down the pipe. We haven't had to pay for any of those at all, no yearly contract or update surcharge or whatever it is some of those other companies make you pay. To do implants there is around a 1K update that you have to pay for Origin, that's more for some the hardware that comes with it versus a charge for the extra software addition. I thought this should be mentioned because there is some companies that charge well over 2K for a yearly update and your scanner won't work if you don't pay it.
- Moving forward - So say you pay 8K, plus training, then you decide you want to open up your system...say because you bought a milling machine or want to use a different milling center. You pay the difference (13K minus depreciation),if you were to buy it outright. I think that's HUGE personally, so say if you grow with this technology and buy a milling or printer machine, then open it up and pay the amount. I think the added value of Origin saying they will depreciate the value (the 13K) is awesome. That means say you buy the closed system for 8K, then a few years down the road you buy a milling machine, you have to 'open' your scanner up for that milling machine to accept files and that would be another 13K to do, but Origin is saying they will depreciate it (because it's now so many years old) to a better price to open it up.
-Teamviewer - a program installed on your computer when you receive the scanner that allows B&D/Origin the ability to use your computer remotely. This is a nice feature because if you're having a problem with the software (scanning/designing) you can call them up and they can see EXACTLY what you are seeing. None of this is done without your permission though, they can't just go into your computer whenever they want but it's a nice feature, especially just starting out while you're learning.
-Great for starters. If you're a small lab that doesn't have a lot of money to invest (like me) or a big lab who is just getting into the digital aspect of it, then this might be to your liking. Once again, I'm not promoting Origin or this scanner, I'm not sure they can afford my big mouth. I'm just giving a quick assessment.

Con's -
- The 'scanning' portion is soooooo slow, it takes on average about/over 15 minutes to scan/design a full contour of anything.
- It has a couple of bugs in the system, it freezes up. I'm not sure if it's in the Origin software, the PC software, or it's an hardware issue but once in a great while it does it.
- Shipping - Was originally told 3 days if the scans were accepted by 11am. That means if I get them in by Monday at 11am, I will get them back on Wednesday but that isn't the case. They come back Thursday if the UPS doesn't screw something up. You can have an option for 10 dollars to have them shipped back sooner. Maybe that is the way I interpreted that conversation early on but I'm pretty sure I was given the Monday/Wednesday scenario.
- PMMA's (the hard wax) is what we mostly do and they lack anything close to accurate. I have to reseal the margins, redo anatomy and contour on some of them. This is what we mostly do, because it's cheaper and more productive to have one of my guys scan in a full contour (for e.max or full cast gold) instead of me hand waxing it. But there is a lack of quality there and I'm not sure it's a 'Mill' versus 'Print' issue. B&D mills there PMMA, I really think printing is much more accurate (you tell me?). We mostly do PMMA's with our scanner until our clients learn more and do more BruxZir, Zirconia, and start doing the custom implant abutments. If we increase our production anymore we will have to open up the system to get our PMMA's printed instead of milled because of this inaccuracy. Which might appear strange, how can your BruxZir and Zirconia be 100% accurate all the time and your PMMA's suck?...maybe some of you know. However, it's still faster and cost effective to have the PMMA's done this way. It takes about 1 minute to make the changes needed before you can throw a sprue lead on it to invest.
- Still waiting for the Implant Software to be updated. Was told this month so we have a couple weeks. My guys seen this software in Utah during there training in June and simply stated, "Rob you are going to LOVE IT". So this gets thrown into the con column because I'm as impatient as they come out there.
-Says void your warranty if you crack the PC case open...not sure you wireless guys will like that or if you need to install a hardware device that may have to be discussed.
-You'll need a glue gun (preferably) or you can use rubber bands to hold the models in centric while scanning full contour.
-Doesn't have anatomy libraries, don't have the ability to add them if you would like to add your own anatomy to it. It's a pro and con about this is why I put it in the Con's and Pro's.
-Only can do 8 copings at once. For the production guys out there, some of these scanners do 30 dies/copings in one scan session.

Okay, Jason (NicelyMKV) just bought this system as well, I'm sure he may add to this list along the way. I still consider ourselves in the infancy of our digital path but the wanting question everyone asks, was it worth it???? I can't answer that for you, I can't, I don't know your business model, the people you are working with if any, your adaptability to computers and/or the financial resources needed to partake in this journey. As for me right now, I will say yes, but I have a feeling I will be screaming "YES" when the implant update comes along. Here are some pictures of some cases that I presented to some of my clients where the screen shots of the 'designs' were useful in communication. One is a four unit bridge that I was trying to talk the Doctor in using some pink porcelain because 8,9,10 were just way too long (It was like a light bulb for him coming on when he seen this and went with pink porcelain). Another was a missing bicuspid and the Doc wanted to fill that space in with something, so we tricked the software in thinking it was a molar, case turned out great. Patient was 'thrilled' and had that case done with three other Dentists before the patient finally came to the right Doctor/Tech combo to get it done. Another picture is one where I didn't like the bite and was talking to the Doctor into going with something stronger because of the occlusal forces that the central would have on it during excursion movements. Then another picture to show how the design software tells you whether you're into occlusion and by how much, each color represents a measurement. I hope that helps, and to be honest, I'm sure Origin (B&D) will have something to say as well. This was long, I apologize, but if I was making this type of investment I would want something like this. All I ask in life is to be fair, and that's all this was, nothing more or less. Pictures below

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Pictures

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_green.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_green2.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_green3.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_green4.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_britcrowns.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_britcrowns2.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_rethkk.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_rfethkk2.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_rethkk3.png

awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_doublecrown.png
awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_green.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_green2.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_green3.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_green4.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_britcrowns.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_britcrowns2.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_rethkk.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_rfethkk2.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_rethkk3.png awww.patriotdentallab.com_images_doublecrown.png

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
"If we increase our production anymore we will have to open up the system to get our PMMA's printed instead of milled because of this inaccuracy. Which might appear strange, how can your BruxZir and Zirconia be 100% accurate all the time and your PMMA's suck?...maybe some of you know".

I think it is due to the Zirconia being milled several times larger than PMMA. Since the Zirconia will be sintered and shrink something like 20+% as opposed to the PMMA. Bur size limitations possibly? I have some PMMA full contour and Bruxzir due in by Tuesday or Wednesday so I will post my findings then.

It does scan a little slower but designs much much faster than 3shape, especially when multiple units are involved. I think it will really show is profitability doing multi unit cases.

Thanks for the write up and it will help me along with my learning experience.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
You know, I never thought about that (shrink factor) when it comes to zirconia vs. PMMA. I'm still thinking PMMA should be printed versus milled if the results I'm getting are the norm for milled PMMA. I forgot to write too, that I don't have my PFM copings milled (only full contour) it's cost prohibitive to have your copings milled at this time. It might be different if you had milling or printing capabilities onsite, but for me to pay 7 dollars to have a coping that can be waxed up in a minute or two is cost prohibitive.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Are you saying margins are open but fit is ok,,,,,,,,,,,,or seeing a loose fits, which can be adjusted with die spacer setting. Bet you need to fine tune/adjust for different materials... NOT that I would know...
Need Mark to chime since he mills wax.......

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
We just got the 3 shape 2 weeks ago and have been sending to B&D/Precision Milling as we are SLC UT. The PMMA full contours have been coming back excellent especially when using a doctors itero scan! Maybe the scanner plays a role there.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hi Charles, hardly ever see a loose fit. I think I've only seen one and that's because the Doctor had severely undercut margins :( Usually what I see, and I'll post some pictures if you'd like is that the margins are short/missing. They aren't open per say, just missing which is weird because all the BruxZir and zirconia are absolutely friggin' beautiful, the margin integrity is spot on. As for a different setting, that would have to be from B&D because when you send it off it asks what type of restoration. I thought maybe it was the milling process but now RileyS has me questioning that but that begs the question, if it's the scanner, then why does the BruxZir and Zirconia come out perfect but the PMMA doesn't??? However, if you use 3Shape it does...hmmmm? I don't know, but as I've shared this quick assessment with all of you, it is the first time B&D has seen it as well. So maybe there is a quick fix, I'll be sure to let you know if something changes.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I'd be glad to print some for free to double check results.

Zirconia is milled slow. Maybe they are going too fast with the plastic.

I really hate milling wax or pmma. It is not accurate. The material is floppy with uneven stress built into it. I tried Four years ago and promptly quit for good. Never again. As you remove material around the tooth...the tooth shifts position and the whole puck actually deforms. At the end....the flimsy little sprues and skeletal remains of puck are not enough to maintain original position of tooth.

Plastic makes large sticky debris when milling. Very easy to get in the way, or stuck to walls or on bur.

This is my experience.

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write all that up for us rob. very interesting.

although im in the UK so wouldnt be using B&D, its the scanner performance i was more interested in. Sounds pretty pricey for the open version though.

theres no way id wanna get locked into one milling partner.

Even the sirona MXCL unit manages zirconia OK due to the shrinkage factor.

Thing with PMMA its a soft material to mill, at last compared to glass, so surely they should be able to use smaller diameter burs for it..

rgkbmk

rgkbmk

Reaction score
Rob
Are you going by your scanner settings or are you getting your milling center settings?
I find that a fine tuned milling center will help you get your settings closer to the level your looking for. team viewer has been a big help for me. How many occlusal schemes can you choose from?
Rick

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Wish I could (closed system),I would love to see the difference.

oh, O.K. :rolleyes:

It's closed until DelCam or CIMSystems gets a scan.
Hint hint,.

I bet we could open it on Monday.
This is relabeled exocad from Europe with a Korean White light scanner, no?

I think that's been hacked for months now. Surprised?
I think I have the update to DentalShaper to de-encrypt it already.

There is one sure-fire way to find out.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Rob
Are you going by your scanner settings or are you getting your milling center settings?
I find that a fine tuned milling center will help you get your settings closer to the level your looking for. team viewer has been a big help for me. How many occlusal schemes can you choose from?
Rick

Rick, I'm not sure what you're asking me brother. The scanner came from the same folks that run the milling center and the settings for the most part are not adjustable. I mean you can change the die spacer, occlusal space but other than that there isn't really anything adjustable. Only one occlusal scheme is available.

E

e...w...h

Reaction score
This is relabled exocad software... I'm pretty sure Jesse is not the designer, but simply tech support.

Thanks for the writeup!

C

charles007

Reaction score
This is relabled exocad software... I'm pretty sure Jesse is not the designer, but simply tech support.

Thanks for the writeup!

B&D does tell you it uses exocad software....Several scanners have this same "brand" of software...but there are "differences with-in exocad software"

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Go to exocad website and you will set medit as one of their partners. They make the solutionx scanner origin uses.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Rob, are you having to pay 10 bucks a unit for anything under 60 units a quarter? I was told PMMA did not count towards that number...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score

Holy crap! I think they have 3shape beat by a mile! World Domination??

Can you say, "Plays well with others?". That should be their motto. Look at all those partnerships!

The race is on! Dental Wings/3M/Straumann? Exocad? 3Shape? Sirona?

The rest will fall. I see my buddys at CIMSystem Srl are a new partner. I'm 110% sure we can de-encrypt any exocad file now!

I need to call CIM System and inquire about buying a bunch of scanners. I should be more up to date on this. Maybe I should be renting out this stuff? I lost Ten customers waiting for the 3M scanners to come out. Forget it!

Last edited: