Zirconia Laminates

G

GeneNY

Reaction score
has any 1 done zirconia laminates? I did a case with 2 laminates using zagemax translucent zirconia. I only layered abit of a translucent incizal, and stained the case. came out very nice. patient is happy, dr is happy, and sending me another case of 8 units. my concern is the bonding of the material. Will it hold up long term? i dont want to start redoing these cases down the road.
please share your oppinions.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Will it hold up? Probably not, as you can't etch zirconia as far as I know.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
they should be the priming the zirconia...if not, on the bright side im sure they'll come off in one piece.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Never use Bonding technique.

Zirconia is metal, not Ceramic.

USe conventional cement, and the crown needs to be prepped over the incisal and down the lingual a wee-bit. Like a 3/4 crown, not really a veneer or laminate. That will pop off. I tried many times and failed with egg on face.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Stop doing them, NOW. What the hell we're you thinking?

J

jijimon

Reaction score
right now i jus logged in to the forum to post the same question....
i have a 5 unit veneer case with me right now and i wanted to ask this same question
i have a zirconia milling unit but i don't have e max or any press
this case i have is a very Well prepared with shoulders subgingivaly and a .7 mm incisal groove. labial reduction is more than 1 mm
if i have to press it somewhere else, i have to pay more than half my charge and then finish the porcelain here...i was wondering if there is some kind of fixative to to fix zirconium please advice...

user name

user name

Reaction score
Are you planning on layering the entire labial to get a shot at esthetics? Then glaze the inside so you have something to etch? If you dont have a press and have opted out of the best thing going, (e.max),then go the traditional route and make some refractory or get out the foil.

How does a lab wind up with a mill but bypassed the press technology? I dont have a crystal ball, but Id guess you have a MCXL; so...you can give the Docs the same thing they can do themselves?

Zirconia isnt for veneers.

G

GeneNY

Reaction score
labwa what do you mean by priming? can you be more specific?

J

jijimon

Reaction score
yes. i was thinking of layering vm9 and use effects.i was not thinking of glazing the inside since the fitting will be lost
i have a s600 scanner, m5 milling.and a
SINTERING FURNACE 600/V3 from zirkonzahn
before i bought the mill i was using vita inceram etc for crown
i used to sent the veneers out for pressing
before i had freedom of making wax for my case..
but now that lab is relocated far away .
now the new lab fitting is very bad
and im not getting it on time
i did not buy this emax because my friends say they have lot of problems when pressing
-broken ring etc...but if really there is no way to do veneers with zirconium then ill have to get this max
so u are saying that with out emax there is no other option to do veneer?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Theres lots of veneer options...foil, refractory, press many different things. E.max is so easy and has so many uses, its crazy to not have it. Where are you located? I wouldnt be opposed to doing some presses for you from your wax ups.

You are correct about altering the fit by applying glaze to the interior, but you need to have a surface that can be etched. Use quite a bit of die spacer. Have you seen the fit of lumineers? Theyre practically shells that get filled with adhesive. With a press you gain so much...a back up porcelain oven, and you can press e.max (crowns, bridges, veneers, inlays) or empress or Authentic or IC or...on & on.

J

jijimon

Reaction score
Thank u Username
id love to give it to u pressing
but i think im very far from u
we are located in the middle east
Dubai.. to be precise

some dentists used to ask me to make emax crowns for anteriors
since i have been charging less for emax
but what i used to do is get cheap chinese blocks and mill it and finish it wit emax porcelain
they are happy to save some money
im happy too
now im planing to get a press
i got a quotation from vita this morning it says
VITA VACUMAT 6000 MP .......5700 $
what u think
i trust vita more than ivoclar
if experienced persons like u recommend i will go for e max

T

tonester

Reaction score
Haven't done it but if i were, i'd tell doctor to use a zirconia primier. Z Prime-plus by Bisco.

When I do a Maryland Bridge, i put porcelain or glaze under the wing. Then i etch those.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Doing veneers with any type of zirconia is nothing but trouble !! Don't do it !! It's not fair to the patient.

Foil or Refractory by far are the best techniques yielding the finest results with efficiency. I'm not an eMax veneer fan for esthetics though it can be done predictably.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Dont do it, you will just have them coming back all the time and the surgeon getting really mad at you because they wont stay in!!!!!!! Even your link says "zirconia core cannot be etched by traditional means" If you sand blast it you risk micro fractures and there is no way to etch it ( dont care what they say ) You need to create a very small gap so that you can at best glaze the fitting surface so that it can be etched (marylands not veneers) Get emax and not earache.

C

cosmicsport

Reaction score
Guide to Zirconia Bonding Essentials

Guide to Zirconia Bonding Essentials

Here an attachemnet with all information how to bond zirconia.
It include how to and which materials to use.

Good information

Attachments

• zirconia_bond_guide.pdf
    303.9 KB · Views: 120
P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Zeneer� Zirconia Veneer- Bondable Zirconia Veneers- Tooth Veneers | Jurim Dental Studio- NY
what do you think about this?"

never heard so much garbage.

do they even have any idea how bonding works and what it does to overall strength?

a "bonded" feldspathic veneer is probably stronger than a "bonded" zirconia veneer, so i imagine LS2 would blow it away.

as for the esthetics of the case on show, wont even waste me breath.

Last edited:
J

jijimon

Reaction score
thanks for the advice
im planing to buy a press

K

Kaypan

Reaction score
Never use Bonding technique.

Zirconia is metal, not Ceramic.

Maybe I have misunderstood, but isn´t this incorrect? In my understanding, zirconia(ZrO2) is a ceramic material, while zirconium(Zr) is a metal. Zirconia restorations are after all marketed as "full-ceramic restorations", which would be quite inconvenient if it really is a metal. Please, correct and teach me if I´m wrong!

Top Bottom