Straumann, Etec/Desktop, ZirkonZahn Printers

M

MushMaster

Reaction score
Hey! Currently in the market for a 3D printer and the lab I am working for is interested in either a Etec/Desktop (D4K or Einstein) or a Straumann (P20+ or P30+) printer. I am inquiring to see if anyone is willing to share some insight and personal experiences with these printers, in particular in the field of crown and bridge. Primarily mostly models and implant models/soft tissue. *And, since we do work with ZirkonZahn already, I just noticed their P4000 printer ... any experience on that machine ... love to hear about it!.

I don't think I'm heavily set on needing materials to be 'open' per se. I actually would think that a manufacturer would want to guarentee a material to meet the best possible outcome for their printer, thus having a select few that they have thoroughly tested, hopefully making me happy and saving a few major frustrations/headaches. But ... comment on this as well if you think and experience differently. (Althought, I do realize that with these manufacturers, we're not necessarily in the 'open' market for resins regardless).

In terms of potentially working with Straumann's printers, we are no CARES users; instead we are Exocad (ZirkonZahn) users in case that makes a difference in user experience.

One and all ear!

brutal85

brutal85

Reaction score
ZZ's P4000 printer is a rebrand of Phrozen's Sonic XL 4k dental version(probably the 2022 version that has the heater integrated). Those printers are open for any resins , not sure if ZZ put any lock on it on p4000. If the printer takes the same file extension to print from then it should be as easy as using another slicer program(chitu,lychee..) instead of the provided ZZ slicer that has only their resins I presume. I would straight up ask them, what slicer comes with the machine and is it open.
As for the printer itself... I have its smaller brother the sonic 4k dental. Once calibrated well there is no need to recalibrate the build plate again, I havent touched mine in 3 years I had it. The housing on it is all metal and robust and can't compare it to the almost all plastic body cheaper hobby printers.
Now if the ZZ markup on it is way high you might want to look into Asiga printers.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hey! Currently in the market for a 3D printer and the lab I am working for is interested in either a Etec/Desktop (D4K or Einstein) or a Straumann (P20+ or P30+) printer. I am inquiring to see if anyone is willing to share some insight and personal experiences with these printers, in particular in the field of crown and bridge. Primarily mostly models and implant models/soft tissue. *And, since we do work with ZirkonZahn already, I just noticed their P4000 printer ... any experience on that machine ... love to hear about it!.

I don't think I'm heavily set on needing materials to be 'open' per se. I actually would think that a manufacturer would want to guarentee a material to meet the best possible outcome for their printer, thus having a select few that they have thoroughly tested, hopefully making me happy and saving a few major frustrations/headaches. But ... comment on this as well if you think and experience differently. (Althought, I do realize that with these manufacturers, we're not necessarily in the 'open' market for resins regardless).

In terms of potentially working with Straumann's printers, we are no CARES users; instead we are Exocad (ZirkonZahn) users in case that makes a difference in user experience.

One and all ear!
Straumann is a hard "No" from me. I don't trust their support.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
I have the ZZ suit and use Asiga/ Keystone resins- no problems what so ever with Model Maker/ Tray/ printing etc and Asiga support is great. Straumann support is the pits, especially when it comes to ZZ product.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Absolutely do not buy a Rapidshape with the Straumann badging. Awful, awful experiences that left us with a non-functioning printer.
I would also strongly recommend ignoring any closed ecosystems wrt resin, you don't want to be at the mercy of a company's planned obsolescence cycle for their products, or them going out of business, or whatever. You don't really gain much with a closed system unless you're dead-set on not learning how to operate a printer, which is always a bad idea even if you want something that 'just works', imo.

Any particular reason you're dead-set on those brands? If the ZZ printers are Phrozen rebadges, you'll get a very capable 'entry-level' printer, but the markup is probably brutal for a printer that will run you less than $1000 as a Phrozen. The support is always good, but resin printers are honestly pretty easy to get a handle on for most types of part you'll be running, they're a breeze compared to, say, milling machines.

J

J Pierce

Reaction score
Absolutely do not buy a Rapidshape with the Straumann badging. Awful, awful experiences that left us with a non-functioning printer.
I would also strongly recommend ignoring any closed ecosystems wrt resin, you don't want to be at the mercy of a company's planned obsolescence cycle for their products, or them going out of business, or whatever. You don't really gain much with a closed system unless you're dead-set on not learning how to operate a printer, which is always a bad idea even if you want something that 'just works', imo.

Any particular reason you're dead-set on those brands? If the ZZ printers are Phrozen rebadges, you'll get a very capable 'entry-level' printer, but the markup is probably brutal for a printer that will run you less than $1000 as a Phrozen. The support is always good, but resin printers are honestly pretty easy to get a handle on for most types of part you'll be running, they're a breeze compared to, say, milling machines.
We just got an Asiga Max and love it! Only complaint is the build plate is small...

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
We run Asigas as well and have had decent experiences with them, although right now we're dealing with incorrectly-installed projectors that are proving very frustrating to remedy. The 4ks have given us the most grief, I have no issues with the Max series beyond, yeah, the small build plate.