Who is ready for 3shape 2015?

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
If you can make a guide for a dentist, then you will be the one making the implant prosthetics, because the dentist will have more trust in you.
This will cause explosion of implant work.

This is the first time any lab tech will be able to make a CT based a guide all by himself without relying on anybody else( noble etc) and for any implant system.

If you can make the guide then the dentist thinks very highly of your lab and your ability and has more trust in u.

Learn the CT implant planning
really good and then u visit a dentist office with your laptop and give demo of your capability and knowledge and tell the dentist that that you will take care of the implant case from beginning to the end and what dentist has to do is to just drill through your guide and place an implant. There are a lot of dentist who need this hand holding especially in their early years of implant career.

The surgical guides would bring the lab techs to the forefront of implant dentistry.

Now in the entire implant work flow, you need a dentist to only drill through your guide, according to your (lab techs) plan, and then take a impression which you can teach him how to do with a closed tray impression technique and then take over from there all the way to the very end to screwing the screw retained prosthetics to 35N.

Just my view , but you gotta devote yourself pretty well to implant dentistry.

Sam

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Bob, how are you dealing with 3Shape's insurance policy for using implant guide? They only cover $150k? Do you feel this is too risky?

fyi - does anyone have a list of what's new for 2015?

That's the thing. I think the intent of 3Shape is to sell just the planning seat to the Dr. and let the labs design and print the surgical guides for them.

I can't speak for them, but that's what I feel their goal will be.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Lab made surgical guides, what could be better than implant placement with the end in mind?

Yes. You can design a crown at the same time you plan the case. It helps the Dr.

see the end result and aids in the planning process.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Yes. You can design a crown at the same time you plan the case. It helps the Dr.

see the end result and aids in the planning process.
I've been doing digital DX wax ups with exocad and merging with the ct scan in Anatomage.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
2015 looks fantastic, i can't wait.

except for the margin undercut thingy. that might hinder me from doing quite a number of cases.

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
Lab made surgical guides, what could be better than implant placement with the end in mind? Scanned DX wax up merged into a CT scan, could it be the end for dolt cowboy surgeons placing them in the embrasures of the aesthetic zone?
I've been playing with my surgeon's Anatomage software recently. There really isn't a whole lot of time involved planning smaller cases and the surgeon signs off on my planning before fabrication. I get what I want, the referring doc looks like a hero and more importantly, the patient gets an aesthetic outcome with no surprises.
Adding this feature to CAD software and being able to edit meshes, what's not to like????

You talking practicality, but from the law point of view you do not have qualification for implant placement planning (unless you are implant surgeon). Only dentist have, and not every dentist on the top of that, only one with proper training. I am quite sure you would have very hard time in the court of law explaining what made you think that you have proper qualifications for implant treatment planning. I believe that signing off by the dentist hardly qualifies. Only way I see it working by the law is, if dentist himself designs it and you manufacture it.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
You talking practicality, but from the law point of view you do not have qualification for implant placement planning (unless you are implant surgeon). Only dentist have, and not every dentist on the top of that, only one with proper training. I am quite sure you would have very hard time in the court of law explaining what made you think that you have proper qualifications for implant treatment planning. I believe that signing off by the dentist hardly qualifies. Only way I see it working by the law is, if dentist himself designs it and you manufacture it.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I am not an attorney, but do you think Anatomage, Bluesky, or Materialize have an army of surgeons on staff to fill their planning services??

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I am not an attorney, but do you think Anatomage, Bluesky, or Materialize have an army of surgeons on staff to fill their planning services??

Most probably they do not have more then one qualified person, if that. That however does not change the fact, that we as a technicians are not qualified to design surgical guides. Please do not understand me wrong, I am 100% with you from practical side of it, in many cases dentist design is worse than ours, and we all know that we have enough experience/knowledge to do it, especially if qualified implant surgeon is checking it after. All I am saying is, that there is no way you could convince anyone in court that you are qualified to do it.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Most probably they do not have more then one qualified person, if that. That however does not change the fact, that we as a technicians are not qualified to design surgical guides. Please do not understand me wrong, I am 100% with you from practical side of it, in many cases dentist design is worse than ours, and we all know that we have enough experience/knowledge to do it, especially if qualified implant surgeon is checking it after. All I am saying is, that there is no way you could convince anyone in court that you are qualified to do it.

I am not a surgeon and I don't play one on the interweb thingy. With some education it is possible to plan implant placement as good or better than most surgeons. Ultimately the surgeon/doctor IS responsible for
the planning and placement of implants. So if I or someone at one of the surgical guide manufacturing companies does the planning the doctor makes the final call on whether to use the guide for placement and if
the case has been planned properly. The plan can always be changed before surgery and sometimes is changed during surgery.

I have been making surgical guides for my surgeon for over 15 years. We work together closely. Guides are not just for placement, but also to determine before the actual surgery, if and where grafting would be beneficial to the patient for a predictable and aesthetic outcome. It also can be used to explain to the patient why they need to incur the expense of grafting or pass on the expense and accept something less than ideal. All of this information is entered into the patient records in explicit detail. This is the information that is looked at by peer review before things like this make it to a court room.

I am looking forward to a time when implant placement is determined by the laboratory and the cases are planned regularly with the end goals in mind rather than unscrewing a poorly planned case. Just take a look at the 'Face Palm' thread.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score

I think the key to good planning is communication between the Dr. and the Lab. Who cares if it takes a

day or two longer if you have to change a plan around. It's about giving the patient the best possible

result with great technology. I think that's where a lot of poor planning comes into play because

everyone is trying to rush every step of the process. Take your time, communicate, and think about

it as if it were your mouth.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I am not a surgeon and I don't play one on the interweb thingy. With some education it is possible to plan implant placement as good or better than most surgeons. Ultimately the surgeon/doctor IS responsible for
the planning and placement of implants. So if I or someone at one of the surgical guide manufacturing companies does the planning the doctor makes the final call on whether to use the guide for placement and if
the case has been planned properly. The plan can always be changed before surgery and sometimes is changed during surgery.

I have been making surgical guides for my surgeon for over 15 years. We work together closely. Guides are not just for placement, but also to determine before the actual surgery, if and where grafting would be beneficial to the patient for a predictable and aesthetic outcome. It also can be used to explain to the patient why they need to incur the expense of grafting or pass on the expense and accept something less than ideal. All of this information is entered into the patient records in explicit detail. This is the information that is looked at by peer review before things like this make it to a court room.

I am looking forward to a time when implant placement is determined by the laboratory and the cases are planned regularly with the end goals in mind rather than unscrewing a poorly planned case. Just take a look at the 'Face Palm' thread.

I think the weak point in all planning is the fact that the Dr. doesn't spend as much time

on the software as most of us techs do. They know what the end result they want, but tend

not to know how to operate the software. I'm not saying that about all docs, but they have

other jobs to do than learn a software for planning. For most of them, planning isn't the

"bread and butter" of their practice, so the knowledge isn't there that's needed. Communication

between the re-seller of the software, lab, and Dr. is key for everyone to be on the same

page and get the results expected.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This is why Implant studio is a big deal.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Check out the thread on 'facepalm cases'. You will see many examples of educated professionals placing abutments with out the assistance of uneducated lab monkeys.

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
With testing the Implant Studio for the last few months it looks very promising. Still limited to the different implant companies that they offer but I'm sure they will jump on board once it fully launches here in the US. Very quick and precise planning also allowing you to integrate into your current software to do provisional as well.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Very quick and precise planning also allowing you to integrate into your current software to do provisional as well.

This is what is going to make this better than the planning software for implant guides. Doing your dx work ensuite instead of using the generic tooth models provided with the software.
Function & Esthetics baby.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Implant Studio is awesome. Been playing with it for a while. Nice user interface and easy

to use. I really like the tools and workflow it uses, but you're going to need a really beefy computer

to be able to run it well with all of the different file types being used at once. Much more than just

your design computers that come from re-sellers. I'm sure the re-sellers will have specs and computers

available upon purchase of Implant Studio to run it well.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Implant Studio is awesome. Been playing with it for a while. Nice user interface and easy

to use. I really like the tools and workflow it uses, but you're going to need a really beefy computer

to be able to run it well with all of the different file types being used at once. Much more than just

your design computers that come from re-sellers. I'm sure the re-sellers will have specs and computers

available upon purchase of Implant Studio to run it well.
Yeah, those dicom image files are huge.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
and like, people who use implant studio every day to place implants, plan temps and rehabs, they'll be further ahead of the people planning and placing implants from xrays chairside.

yes both of them can be highly biased towards certain implants but you know the complete planning will be a much more advanced and powerful tool than planning and placing chairside from xrays and using fingers.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Got it and ready to test it out. Anyone running it with production, yet?

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Which version CadCamAL?