Who is ready for 3shape 2015?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Just curious as to see who all is ready for the new features in the upcoming release of 3Shape 2015?

There are some huge changes.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We have a beta version up and running on one CPU. Looks really interesting but not ready for prime time.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how they are going to keep up with exocad. :p

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
Looking forward to making surgical guides with 3shape with the help of CAP in Jan 2014

And hope that the pretie mirror could work with 3 shape as good as it works with Exo cad.

Bob should comment.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Yes, We are looking forward to getting up and running on 3Shape surgical guide solution as well. It is in testing in our engineering group now. I'm not sure how long this will take. I would expect CAP customers (possibly everyone) will have access to a full blowing series of CAP Academy videos as well as a possible webinar.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I have to agree bob, it is not ready for major production. The new arrangement of buttons got my work flow off, but the combo of smilecomposser and sculpt was a strong move, but not a fan of the dental office scanning, although you can dissable that in the control panel. Still has some bugs to work out.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Yes, We are looking forward to getting up and running on 3Shape surgical guide solution as well. It is in testing in our engineering group now. I'm not sure how long this will take. I would expect CAP customers (possibly everyone) will have access to a full blowing series of CAP Academy videos as well as a possible webinar.

Bob, how are you dealing with 3Shape's insurance policy for using implant guide? They only cover $150k? Do you feel this is too risky?

fyi - does anyone have a list of what's new for 2015?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Bob, how are you dealing with 3Shape's insurance policy for using implant guide? They only cover $150k? Do you feel this is too risky?
We will have all placers we plan and make guides for sign off on legal responsibility of the plan. We will likely never ship or even print a guide without this step in place first.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think any good attorney can find a hole in any surgical planning that a tech does.

I think any blanket contract stating that the prescriber of this guide has reviewed the treatment "suggestions" and accept all responsibility of the treatment is at a bare minimum of what should be in place.

While I am all for better planning I just wonder if the compensation verses the risk is worth it.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Well if the guide is based off of a CT scan and done by a train tech then printed there should be a good outcome.

Can the 3shape incorporate a CT scan? Or is it done off of a model scan?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hey John,
Recetfully, when was the last time you heard of a lab being in litigation for anything provided or produced in the lab. Keep in mind there are about 50 million dental restoration delivered in the US evey year by over 8000 different US labs. Contrary to your feelings, I believe the risks are low and offering surgical guides is a step forward in providing superior dentistry. Being involved it what makes for better dentistry is in all our best interests. In addition, due to no registration required for labs we already work under the license of the dentists and their registration. The dentist is liable for what they do and what goes into the patients mouth. That said, there are numerous law suits against dentist and I'm not aware of any involving the lab. In fact, in my now over 40 years in the imdustry I don't believe I have ever heard of a lab being in a liability suite for defect of product. Although, I'm sure it must have happened.
In addition, labs should have product liability insurance. We have had $2mm coverage for decades. Never needed it:) And it cost very little. In the event a of a suite for a surgical guide gone bad and the unlikely litigation against the lab I can't imaging $2mm not covering it. Keep in mind much of the litigation in dental is settled before trial, between the insurance company and the plaintiff.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Well if the guide is based off of a CT scan and done by a train tech then printed there should be a good outcome.

Can the 3shape incorporate a CT scan? Or is it done off of a model scan?
Yes

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Lee Culp was sued, I don't remember the specifics and if it was product related but Leann Rhimes sued the lab over a product, her veneer. Never heard how that turned out but I did read the initial court documents. She sued everybody.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Yes, I do recall hearing about something on that one. Anyone else ever have a case or even come close?
I made the same lower full arich for a patient with four different docs over a one year period. I think she got her money back form most and moved on to another. She was at my lab non stop for a year. In fact she requested the docs use us. There was relly very little we could do for her. She really needed therapy rather than dentistry. When I got wind of her arrival at the last doc, I gave the customer the history and he set up the plan that he would make a case and there would be no refunds. That was the last time we did her case. At any rate, no litigation involving the lab.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
As you stated Bob, really only heard of the Dentist...and to be fair, no Dentist is immune either, I've seen some of my own personal Dentists, most of these guys were Prosthodontists get lassoed into court. Here in the U.S., the ole cliché is true...anybody can sue anybody for anything. Best to have a good lawyer on retainer...or two!!!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have product liability insurance and yes its rather inexpensive for the blanket coverage. I just wonder if designing a guide would be covered. I will talk to my ins agent next week and ask his opinion.

As for guides, when I was involved with Nobel Guide years back with a few of my clients the price point was around $450 from Nobel. Add in a fee to design and the fee for the scan data and its quite an expensive proposition. Now I understand with the new technology we can produce a guide for much less but where will the price point eventually go to? If these are to be milled by the average small tabletop mill if its anything like a splint it just does not make sense to tie up the mill when I can mill other more profitable products. Can I outsource the design? Of course, but what will it put in my pocket at the end of the day? Trust me if there is money to be made I will be the first to jump in as long as I can sleep well at night knowing I am safe.

Bob do you plan on printing or milling these?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We brought in the Objet Orthodesk printer for guides (as well as some other indications). We have also milled them. No question, printing is the way to go. Objet has a clear material hat is FDA cleared for this function. It should be very economical to print these form an STL file. Here is how I see the workflow and related labor.
Merge the CAT scan file into 3Shape
Plan implant placememt
design guide
print
cement in titanium drill guides.
Although I have not done this, I did sit in on a demo and none of this is very time consuming. The materials are inexpensive and it improves implant placement. I'm also thinking it will bring more implant work to labs that provide the service.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Lab made surgical guides, what could be better than implant placement with the end in mind? Scanned DX wax up merged into a CT scan, could it be the end for dolt cowboy surgeons placing them in the embrasures of the aesthetic zone?
I've been playing with my surgeon's Anatomage software recently. There really isn't a whole lot of time involved planning smaller cases and the surgeon signs off on my planning before fabrication. I get what I want, the referring doc looks like a hero and more importantly, the patient gets an aesthetic outcome with no surprises.
Adding this feature to CAD software and being able to edit meshes, what's not to like????