What's a good steamer?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I found out the hard way that steamers love distilled water. John is that what you have piped into yours?

No distilled water Doug, actually in the manual they tell you NOT to use it.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I would be interested why they don't recommend distilled water... Had a few steamers giving up after a relatively short time, because of the hard tap water we got up here.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
There is a sensor in there that works off of the minerals in the water, Our first steamer from BAR instruments which was by far the biggest POS asked for distilled water which we used and it still fell flat on its face within a year.

I have had so many steamers over the years that I just think its a disposable piece of equipment, prior to buying this larger steamer I had other reliable steamers and they all last about 5 years before they strated to give me any trouble. The biggest issue with any piece of equipment is maintenance and how your employees use it, Its been about 4 years on the big unit and its still going strong and my employees beat the piss out of it.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Wow Don

This is just the opposite of what we have found with Reliable, while I have had little need to call them when I did the tech got right on the phone and with in minutes I had the cover off and fixed the problem. We have experienced the static electricity shock you reference. Its not a big deal but I agree its not normal.

We turn our big steamer on at 6 and turn it off at 6 in the eve when the last tech goes home, lasts all day for us.

John:

Maybe I got the lemon as I heard so much good regarding their steamers. I admit I never personally talked with them, I was told from my staff that they were not helpful. Basically get use to the shock and get use to the loss of pressure even though the water level is not too low. I bought it for the tank size and the fact it looks very well built, again maybe I just got unlucky.

As a business owner it was wrong for me to comment on their customer service when I personally did not talk with them. I am somewhat upset with the purchase and I posted out of anger, it is what it is.

Regards,
Don

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
My Steam shines from CD Nelson 1st 1 a 1ltr size in 1978 was traded in for a 4ltr model in 1985, that 1ltr is still in use at a jewelry store, the 4ltr I kept until 2012 when I traded it in for a 4 ltr with compound use. I did have the 1985 machine worked on in 2009) electrical storm caused lots of problems that year (my laser, processor, computers, the monitors & tv's all repaired or replaced)),That reworked machine is in Elgin and working just fine for Kim (she loves it and doesn't know what she did without one). The current machine I expect to use like the others, every day, I use either distilled or filtered water and drain them once per week. they have stainless steel with stainless welds never see rusty mud in them. None of the machines has given me electrical shots, doesn't sound like something good for the heart though, and not something to have to get used to. Cliff & Agness nelson give great customer service and Cliff is the engineer who designed the machine. So when calling them you get the service from the designer not some clerk. http://www.cdnelson.com/compar.html Telephone (815) 759-2828

Last edited:
EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
There is a sensor in there that works off of the minerals in the water, Our first steamer from BAR instruments which was by far the biggest POS asked for distilled water which we used and it still fell flat on its face within a year.

I have had so many steamers over the years that I just think its a disposable piece of equipment, prior to buying this larger steamer I had other reliable steamers and they all last about 5 years before they strated to give me any trouble. The biggest issue with any piece of equipment is maintenance and how your employees use it, Its been about 4 years on the big unit and its still going strong and my employees beat the piss out of it.

5 years. Huh? That seems about right. I have a reimers sitting in a box that started small leaks at about 2 years made it to about 5. Keep thinking I should send in for a rebuild. Anyone ever do that?

Now I have a smaller reliable unit, been running for about 2 years but it just went down recently. Keeps throwing the GFIC. the tech support did not have thoughts on what would cause that. I opened it up it had obviously been leaking inside as there is rust on several components. I have to send it in for repairs also. Poor me I don't even have a working unit as we speak.
I know they run under harsh conditions but I have not been as fortunate as you John. I do like the reliable unit just gotta get I fixed.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Good luck I have a C&B buddy who had a Reimers and sent it in for a rebuild estimate; Tank, circuit board, solenoid, pressure control and a few switches, estimate was almost $800. on a 2 gallon unit. Check on what the boiler is made of most are low carbon steel with a stainless steel shell, and most have heating elements in the boiler making for steam leaks where the connections go to the elements, with possible ground problems. And Reimers are quality compared to some of the boilers used in labs.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"whats a good steamer"

one thats not sold by a dental company at an over inflated price.

buy one off ebay, theres some good 4+ bar ones and pay for a 5 year extended warranty. The seals go on em all after a while, no matter what you pay.

save a lot of money.

Last edited:
ortho artist

ortho artist

Reaction score
We got a jewelry steamer from Sharpertek (sp?) up north. No tank to rust out- just stick the hose in a gallon jug of distilled water, uses "dry" steam- heats up quickly, abt $500 with shipping.

Jewelry Steam Cleaner

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
orthoartist
We got a jewelry steamer from Sharpertek (sp?) up north. No tank to rust out- just stick the hose in a gallon jug of distilled water, uses "dry" steam- heats up quickly, abt $500 with shipping.

Jewelry Steam Cleaner
That is a pretty nice looking design, how hot does it get around the unit? How long have you had & used your steam cleaner? It looks like a fogger pulling in distilled water and spraying it out?
alib.store.yahoo.net_lib_yhst_42112424359421_jewelrysteamerpicture.jpg
alib.store.yahoo.net_lib_yhst_42112424359421_jewelrysteamerpicture.jpg

ortho artist

ortho artist

Reaction score
orthoartist
That is a pretty nice looking design, how hot does it get around the unit? How long have you had & used your steam cleaner? It looks like a fogger pulling in distilled water and spraying it out?

I don't notice heat from the surface very much. Ours sits out on a table so there's plenty of ventilation. We've just had this one about 5-6 months but it's replacing the same brand of a smaller discontinued unit that had a tank. Your description of how it works sounds pretty accurate. Please note; we ARE ortho only, so it suits our purpose of cleaning wax/flux from models & appliances.

T

TheITguy

Reaction score
BEGO Triton SL. Going strong for 6 years and counting. I have 6 of them.

At our lab we currently have 5 Bego Tritons down right now. Dave got 3 working today by stealing parts from the other two, but these things have cost us nothing but trouble. Wish we had your luck.

N

Nenad

Reaction score
It always depend of hardness of water.If you have soft water don't need to buy distilled.Or easy use rain water.
Bego Triton is still peace of art.Low pressure and water, steam option.And you need in line water softener.

N

Nenad

Reaction score
Steamers from Reliable Corporation is good choice for lab.Made in Italy. Recommendation
Model 7000 CD
Model 8000 CD

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
my second reliable just started leaking.
Does anyone have any updates on their steamer recommendations?

N

Nenad

Reaction score
By my experience as service technician for over 3 decades repairing equipments,good advise is Reimer,Gesswein as jewellery steamer but you have to find the way to attach Steam gun because don't come with it only solid attachment steam nozzle.Bego is always king in category of dental one.Reliable is good but model 5000 is not.model 7000 is recommendation and best model From Reliable is mod 9000 with auto feeder.I have 3 of refurbished Bego Triton SL and selling for 1500,Reimer and Geswein for 1000 and many other in CAD$

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Weve had our Bego steamer for over 20 years now. Works like a charm. Water directly plumbed in and a large filter just before water enters the steamer

N

NDA

Reaction score
We're a small lab & use a Kerr Touchsteam #33405/110V (with distilled water). Very reliable! Several years after purchase eventually had to replace 'Electric Valve w/ regulator'. Because it's such a key piece of equipment, we bought a 2nd one & keep original as backup. Had trouble reaching Kerr customer service once, but called our Zahn sales rep & obtained 'direct' Kerr customer service number which connected immediately with a person. Regularly replace Stopper Safety Valve every ~ 18mos (it's a safety thing!).