What's a good steamer?

DentalLabHombre

DentalLabHombre

Reaction score
I was curious to know which is a good reliable steamer out on the market today.

DentalLabHombre

DentalLabHombre

Reaction score
I always liked the Belle de st Claire steamers

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I liked Steamman 2 from Bar Instruments, up until a couple of years ago. It used to be a work horse until it seemed the steam trigger on the handle (image below) gets moisture in it, and you have to unscrew those pieces and clean the contacts to get it to steam again. The pressure cap seems to need replacing about every 6-8 months or so (or just the gaskets). The unit as a whole is pretty durable, just these two annoyances, but especially maintaining and buying new steam handle triggers (their not that expensive) You can buy other parts and maintain it pretty easily, and the owner is a nice guy to work with.

ai240.photobucket.com_albums_ff297_car5454_Dental_20Lab_20Forums_steamertriggers.png
ai240.photobucket.com_albums_ff297_car5454_Dental_20Lab_20Forums_steamertriggers.png

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I got an Italian made Kerr Touchsteam for about 3 years now, no problems far. Running on distilled water.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I use the F word a lot, seems to help.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
At my dads lab in Houston, we bought a jewelers steamer it looked like this, and I don't remember replacing/repairing anything on that one. A little big on the counter, but taller if anything, and in a fixed position, compared to the ones with the flexible hose gun.

ai240.photobucket.com_albums_ff297_car5454_Dental_20Lab_20Forums_steamer.png
ai240.photobucket.com_albums_ff297_car5454_Dental_20Lab_20Forums_steamer.png

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
BEGO Triton SL. Going strong for 6 years and counting. I have 6 of them.

DentalLabHombre

DentalLabHombre

Reaction score
Hey cool hand, what do you think they cost? If I had to venture a guess, I'd probably say my dignity. :doh:

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Bego Triton, 3 solid years now with no issues.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I've been using CD Nelson steamers since 1978, The only reason I have traded in was to go to the next size larger.
They are made for the strange demands of Dental Labs as well as the Jewelry industry.
The foot control and set nozzel means you have two hands to control what ever you want to clean, and even if you wish they do have a wand but the steam at the machine is available with dry or wet steam. You have less steam and only dry from a wand.
Of course I tend to like made in the USA but that is just me.
CD Nelson Cleaning Solutions
awww.cdnelson.com_lotus.jpg
awww.cdnelson.com_lotus.jpg

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I Like my reliable steamer, the newest model was upgraded to have direct water feed and more volume/ faster warm up. Its been a good choice.

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_steamer.jpg
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_steamer2.jpg
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_steamer.jpg ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_steamer2.jpg

A

Anonymous-Coward

Reaction score
Car 54 is correct. The Reimers line is the very best. We have the 240v. model. We never turn it off except for service. It's on 24/7. It goes from cold to 80psi in less than 5 minutes. I open the pressure vessel once a year to clean the mud out, and the solenoid and electrical contactor seems to need replacing every couple of years. A simple machine to work on, the parts are available a Grainger or McMaster-Carr, and are inexpensive, and it hooks into the building's water supply. The supply of 80psi steam is endless. You can stand on the switch all day and it never dips below 80.
We've had one for 12 years, and the first significant issue we had was last year. An electronic component failed and caused the manual relief valve to dump the pressure. Have ever seen 80psi of steam dump through a 1.5 inch opening? In the world of steam that is pretty small time stuff, but it makes a helluva noise, fills the entire room with steam, and scares the pee out of everyone close to it. (I may be the only person in the lab that thought it was funny)
It's a work horse.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
I Like my reliable steamer, the newest model was upgraded to have direct water feed and more volume/ faster warm up. Its been a good choice.

FYI. I had a Kerr steamer in a cabinet as such. Not a good choice of placement. Came back from a delivery one day, and found it had shorted out and
started to burn the inside cabinet doors.
That amount of heat is not good in a contained area.

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_steamer.jpg ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_steamer2.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

FYI. I had a Kerr steamer in a cabinet as such. Not a good choice of placement. Came back from a delivery one day, and found it had shorted out and
started to burn the inside cabinet doors.
That amount of heat is not good in a contained area.

I planned ahead, this cabinet is plumbed with an exhaust fan to the outside wall

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score

We bought a Reliable because of the many posts here on DNL, we loved it at first but we found it UNReliable. To be fair we run our steamers hours at a time not minutes but the Reliable lost pressure quick and our techs were getting electrical shocks. We sent ours back and paid a lot in repairs only to have the same issues the first day we got it back. Their customer service SUCKED! and we now use it as a back up as it was not worth trying to get them to fix it properly, they did not care!

Don Inman CDT

doug

doug

Reaction score
I found out the hard way that steamers love distilled water. John is that what you have piped into yours?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We bought a Reliable because of the many posts here on DNL, we loved it at first but we found it UNReliable. To be fair we run our steamers hours at a time not minutes but the Reliable lost pressure quick and our techs were getting electrical shocks. We sent ours back and paid a lot in repairs only to have the same issues the first day we got it back. Their customer service SUCKED! and we now use it as a back up as it was not worth trying to get them to fix it properly, they did not care!

Don Inman CDT

Wow Don

This is just the opposite of what we have found with Reliable, while I have had little need to call them when I did the tech got right on the phone and with in minutes I had the cover off and fixed the problem. We have experienced the static electricity shock you reference. Its not a big deal but I agree its not normal.

We turn our big steamer on at 6 and turn it off at 6 in the eve when the last tech goes home, lasts all day for us.