What is your bread and butter appliance?

Andi

Andi

Reaction score
After reading a thread about Twin Blocks I was suprised to see that it doesnt appear to be a massivley common appliance in the States (please correct me if I am wrong)

CTB's are one of my bread and butter appliances - I have a very small lab but seeing at least 2 of these a week, that and a multitude of vacuum formed retainers.

What are your most commonly asked for appliances?

the lab lady

the lab lady

Reaction score
yeah, i have to agree with the labdude- retainers...what are ctb's?

Last edited:
D

David Tietl

Reaction score
Retainer's? CTB's? I don't pick- up anything about those subject. Maybe I am numb but can you please a little bit elaborate. Retainers to me sound like dental thing...am I right? I really don't get it.

Andi

Andi

Reaction score
Lab lady - CTB's = Clark twin blocks, they are often just asked for as CTB's on the prescriptions here and very popular.

Labdude....what type of retainers are favored? I rarely make Hawleys now as vacuum formed are the norm. Not made a wrap around retainer (Begg) for years now, shame as they are rather nice to make.

I have recently been asked to make a very complex and interesting functional appliance, the closest to which I can only liken to a Frankel. Its a breath of fresh air as I was starting to be quite convinced that I will, in the near future, be replaced by a machine!
Old school ortho techs really were masters of an art in my opinion!

L

labdude

Reaction score
Vacuum formed, I've made very very few. Offices here that like those usually have a Biostar and do them in office. A standard type retainer will outlast a vacuum formed. Main reason they are more popular still, at least in the states.
Types that I make are anywhere form a labial bow and ball clasps, to a wrap around with soldered flat wire labial area, and crozat claps. Everything in between as well, wrap to adams, amads and bow, etc.

L

labdude

Reaction score
David,
How did you find this site???
What is your purpose here???

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
David,
How did you find this site???
What is your purpose here???

Probably googled "pissing contest" or ShamWow. ??:D

That's my main reason, with a backup of Dental stuff things or something like that.

Last edited:
Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Lab lady - CTB's = Clark twin blocks, they are often just asked for as CTB's on the prescriptions here and very popular.

Labdude....what type of retainers are favored? I rarely make Hawleys now as vacuum formed are the norm. Not made a wrap around retainer (Begg) for years now, shame as they are rather nice to make.

I have recently been asked to make a very complex and interesting functional appliance, the closest to which I can only liken to a Frankel. Its a breath of fresh air as I was starting to be quite convinced that I will, in the near future, be replaced by a machine!
Old school ortho techs really were masters of an art in my opinion!

Vacuum formed are the norm???? What.. Vacuum formed appliances are **** "pardon my french" with a life span of MAYBE one year... I've seen 20 year old hawleys. WHy o WHy would an orthodontist use those exclusively? I know thats why orthodontist don't use them here.. the tiny life span, they(my accounts) use them for temporary appliances which they are. Is this common place in Europe? wow you really will get replaced by a machine, I have to convince my accounts how much better my thermoformed appliances are then the ones that their assistants make inhouse, since I grind and bring the edges to a polished high shine(much more comfortable) and I have a Biostar(not a crap heat and suck).

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Yeah that

Types that I make are anywhere form a labial bow and ball clasps, to a wrap around with soldered flat wire labial area, and crozat claps. Everything in between as well, wrap to adams, amads and bow, etc.

Ditto for me here..except I also make lots of thermoformed..
:D

P

partyteeth

Reaction score
bread and butter appliances

Most popular for my lab are Hawleys with flat bow wire sold'd to adams clasps or delta clasps, RMX's, F.L.E.A.(fixed lower expansion appliances),and TMJ splints-hard (acrylic that is):cool:

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi partyteeth,
For your flea's, ever use the IPC ??? Or are they all exp screws??? I use both, what ever they want.

P

partyteeth

Reaction score
Hi labdude
I'm only using expansion screws on my flea's, which also include anterior 'flaring' springs soldered to lingual wire. Would the IPC component be better? Also, is anyone using the Biomers/ASTICS translucent labial bow? I'm thinking of investing in a light cure unit and am looking for any feedback.
Thanks
Partyteeth

L

labdude

Reaction score
The IPC is used to make an appliance called an "Arnold", using tubing and open coil niti spring. Less bulk than the exp screw. Individual docs have different preferences on what type lower exp to use. Some don't use lower exp at all, they were taught that it doesn't work. Docs that try it usually like the result. Getting them to try it, that's the thing.

Top Bottom