Acrylic Polishing Station... what is your solution to the mess?

• Thread starter Clear Precision Dental
  • Start date
Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I need some help, or at least some better ideas.

My problem is the lathe / polishing station. It is the dirtiest area in the lab. Our suction in the area works well when using it to trim stone/plaster because the fine dust is easily handled (for the most part) by the vacuum. When debulking acrylic appliances (ie. denture, nightguard or ortho) the bulk acrylic stuff often is either too light or heavy and collects without going down the suction "vent." The pumice (or pumice substitute) get's flung all over the place and the fine threads from the muslin buffs gets everywhere. We don't turn on the suction for the station when using wet pumice, and actually cover the vent to keep wet stuff from clogging the hoses.

One lab I worked in used a modified 5gal bucket with a plexiglass top but it was a big pain. I've tried fishmouth type attachments, mini-hoods (with lights and without),placing butcher paper in the area, but I still have such a mess. I did not want to lose a lot of counter space "real estate," if possible by using one of the gigantic boxes that are available commercially.

Ideas and/or photos of what you outside-the-box thinkers have designed to deal with this mess? I remember AJ posting something and Scott had a guy who build some boxes but I was not finding them via a forum search.

Thanks!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I use a box & magnifier for roughing out and most of my shaping for dentures, nightguards, flexibles, even some model work, the box has a suction hole, the hand holes have wrist cushion. I made the box out of sink cutouts from Menards, made to fit a cooking pan that slides out, the hand cutouts became burrblocks on the top of the box that pivot on 1/4" rivets. The inside is painted with white epoxy. if U want I could pm U the plans. I made 4 to get the angle for the window about right (overhead lights can be a killer with glare the first box. I bisquet joined it together but I'm sure U could 5crew it if U wanted to. It mostly keeps my bench somewhat clean. Unfortunately I have an old protecto for pumice & polish is just an old pan with a shield, on a boot tray to contain the wet mess.

ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workbox.jpg
aj%20luckow%202011
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workbox2yrsold.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workboxinuse.jpg
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workbox.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workbox2yrsold.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workboxinuse.jpg

Last edited:
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
if U want I could pm U the plans.

AJ,

If you dont mind I'd take a copy of those plans aswell. I've got a good buddy I've been talking to about building some boxes like this. He builds cabinets for a living and I'm no wood worker so I'm gonna let him lead the way but maybe your plans could give us a headstart...

I'll post up some pics when there completed...

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
if U want I could pm U the plans. [/I]

aj%20luckow%202011
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workbox2yrsold.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workboxinuse.jpg

This is what I was looking for. I like the removable pan underneath. I knew you would have something good since you are (the resident "clean guy")concerned about cleanliness, like me (probably more so...)

Please send me info, at your convenience. Dust and grime, I banish thee, I banish thee, I banish thee... and then I throw dog poopie on her shoes (Steve Martin - paraphased and modified).
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workbox.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workbox2yrsold.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_aj_20luckow_202011_th_workboxinuse.jpg

Last edited:
nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Can I get those plans too? Please?

T

Tonkster

Reaction score
I use a box & magnifier for roughing out and most of my shaping for dentures, nightguards, flexibles, even some model work, the box has a suction hole, the hand holes have wrist cushion. I made the box out of sink cutouts from Menards, made to fit a cooking pan that slides out, the hand cutouts became burrblocks on the top of the box that pivot on 1/4" rivets. The inside is painted with white epoxy. if U want I could pm U the plans. I made 4 to get the angle for the window about right (overhead lights can be a killer with glare the first box. I bisquet joined it together but I'm sure U could 5crew it if U wanted to. It mostly keeps my bench somewhat clean. Unfortunately I have an old protecto for pumice & polish is just an old pan with a shield, on a boot tray to contain the wet mess.

aj%20luckow%202011

I would also love a copy of the plans. That's a great piece!!!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
PM me your e-mails I'm doing the last on my taxes this week & weekend but I'l look for the plans on the laptop next week, or it they aren't to big I'll try posting here. but maybe some knows where I could find a replacement for my old Pro-tecto? I got her in 1977 used, and have several mentorees who would love to find some. Nicole didn't I send you the plans around x-mas with the magnet base instructions?
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_Parts_20and_20instructions_th_Pro_tecto2.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_Parts_20and_20instructions_Pro_tecto1.jpg
ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_Parts_20and_20instructions_th_Pro_tecto2.jpg ai1123.photobucket.com_albums_l546_Ajels_Parts_20and_20instructions_Pro_tecto1.jpg

Last edited:
nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
No. You sent the magnetic base and the nightguard procedure.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
denturist-student in school I worked on a handler unit, but when pumicing I still had a front full of pumice, (like the streak on ones back when bicycling in wet day). The protecto at least eliminates the liquid from spraying you (I do wear a respirator for mist & polish dust),I would like the harris station although it appears the liquid will still spray you, and that $2500.(without a lathe) on what denture techs get paid is quite a challenge. Note I have had a lot of PM's because the box I made costs around $25. to make with a $150. magnifier light.
The box works on the bench I have thought of making one for the polishing & can take pictures of the construction I still have some sink cutouts in the garage. (I thought it would take more cutouts tha it did, 1 double cutout 1 box, I originally thought 2 double to make 1 box)

Last edited:
appledental

appledental

Reaction score
Can i get those too Please. THANKS AJEL

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
denturist-student in school I worked on a handler unit, but when pumicing I still had a front full of pumice, (like the streak on ones back when bicycling in wet day). The protecto at least eliminates the liquid from spraying you (I do wear a respirator for mist & polish dust),I would like the harris station although it appears the liquid will still spray you, and that $2500.(without a lathe) on what denture techs get paid is quite a challenge. Note I have had a lot of PM's because the box I made costs around $25. to make with a $150. magnifier light.
The box works on the bench I have thought of making one for the polishing & can take pictures of the construction I still have some sink cutouts in the garage. (I thought it would take more cutouts tha it did, 1 double cutout 1 box, I originally thought 2 double to make 1 box)

Thanks for the picture. Yes the Nevin and Handler units are expensive. And yes your box works well. However I find with a closed box system spending a lot of time cleaning glass from flying wet pumice. I guess we cant have it both ways. An apron works well too. There just is not an easy clean way of polishing any denture with pumice. Thanks for the ideas. YOu are a virtual wealth of information as usual.

L

Laura Crenshaw

Reaction score

View attachment 10420
aj%20luckow%202011
View attachment 10421 View attachment 10422
View attachment 10420 View attachment 10421 View attachment 10422
@AJEL
I would love to get a copy of your plans to build these polishing boxes. Could you please email me the plans at manager.deweywillisdds.com.
Thank you!

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
You're using too much water in the pumice.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
This is what I was looking for. I like the removable pan underneath. I knew you would have something good since you are (the resident "clean guy")concerned about cleanliness, like me (probably more so...)

Please send me info, at your convenience. Dust and grime, I banish thee, I banish thee, I banish thee... and then I throw dog poopie on her shoes (Steve Martin - paraphased and modified).
View attachment 10423 View attachment 10424 View attachment 10425
I have an Elite Dental box. Same idea, complete enclosure, ported for suction.
It seriously reduces the mess.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I keep it in the basement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
This is a thread from 2012, I will look in old computer system for plans, but here is box built in 2010 after 5 years use. image.jpeg image.jpeg

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
poly-guard-ii-shield-vmc-a3-300x261.jpg

http://www.vaniman.com/product/poly-guard-ii-shield-vmc-a398/

I use one of these with a piece of molding strip hot glued to the inside at the bottom which keeps the cruft from coming out. I put in a case pan with the tall back covering the hole in back.

I like it because this lets me use clean pumice easily without scraping out the whole basin. I'll toss the rag wheels, washed out and wet, in the microwave to kill germs, best I can do until I can get an autoclave. Most of it hits the back of the pan. The shield gets washed out completely each Friday unless it gets real nasty, then it gets a moist paper towel on the inside front so I can see.

I just slide it up to the lathe to use it and put the whole thing away on its shelf when I'm done pumicing which lets me clean the bench easy and keep a nice clean looking area.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom