Waxing labor

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
What do people charge or get for waxing full contour E-max? Just waxing, no model work, pouring spruing or pressing. Just curious.

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
What do people charge or get for waxing full contour E-max? Just waxing, no model work, pouring spruing or pressing. Just curious.

In this days scan,design and mill is more efficient and accurate and cheaper.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"In this days scan,design and mill is more efficient and accurate and cheaper."

Sorry dont really agree with that.

A proficient waxer using occlusual preforms can probably wax a posterior in what.. 5-7 mins?

The material costs a waaay cheaper and the fits of press generally wipe the floor with milled stuff unless you have text book preps.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Its one of those things you need to figure out what its worth. How fast and how well you can wax one and charge accordingly.

Or are you asking about piece work?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
"In this days scan,design and mill is more efficient and accurate and cheaper."

Sorry dont really agree with that.

A proficient waxer using occlusual preforms can probably wax a posterior in what.. 5-7 mins?

The material costs a waaay cheaper and the fits of press generally wipe the floor with milled stuff unless you have text book preps.

I used to agree with you Paul but not any more.

The fit and margin accuracy is excellent with cad .I may pay more per unit, but I only pay for the shade I need.I'm not sitting on unused ingots nor do I have to add extra stain to change shades and values.

Here's something else that has become an issue. When the dr receives an emax cad crown,he knows it wasn't made with a reused ingot.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I used to agree with you Paul but not any more.

The fit and margin accuracy is excellent with cad .I may pay more per unit, but I only pay for the shade I need.I'm not sitting on unused ingots nor do I have to add extra stain to change shades and values.

Here's something else that has become an issue. When the dr receives an emax cad crown,he knows it wasn't made with a reused ingot.

Oh come on now...You know a press is better at accurate margins, and Im not in any way suggesting using 2nd run ingots...but you know CAD e.max is weaker than pressed.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
that works out to 8 per hr with a few minutes to spare
in a 8 hr work day = 64 full wax ups and in a 5 day week = 320 units ready for press
i find it hard to believe if you had that type of work load that the units from Friday would be a good as the units that were waxed Monday-
but back to original ? -how much should you expect to pay if you need someone to wax full contours for you? with the advent of cad that is a very difficult thing to get paid for (IMO) due to the fact that you can send a stl file out a geta print for around $3.00

Greg Amendola MDT

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Oh come on now...You know a press is better at accurate margins, and Im not in any way suggesting using 2nd run ingots...but you know CAD e.max is weaker than pressed.

Pressing is more acurate with crappy margins. Cad is excellent with good margins.

Are the indications for cad emax the same for pressed emax?

I know you are not one to " remax". However it now brings into question whether the lab has done so if there is a crown fracture.
We know that there are those that do this and it becomes another variable .

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"Pressing is more acurate with crappy margins"

thats probably 85% of what commercial labs get.

Emax CAD is a waste of time for mainstream commercial labs IMO.

"due to the fact that you can send a stl file out a geta print for around $3.00" talking about a different thing there greg, thats not emax cad.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Why would I want to be mainstream?

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score

think we all got way off of topic, are you looking for full countour wax patterns ?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
It usually takes me 15 min for posteriors, or 4 per hour complete.
That's dipping, waxing, smoothing the wax, putting art paper to the occlusion, finalizing the contacts, sealing the margins, sprueing than setting them in groups by shade.

That leaves almost no work finishing. fitting smoothing the sprue finalizing the contacts and occ etc. Mabey less than 5 min and ready for glaze.

Bicuspids are faster maybe 5 an hour and anteriors are super fast to wax because I only make the linguals 3/4 full contour.

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
Thanks, for the response. We press and there are things that come into play.I've been doing this for a long time and know what to expect from hand waxing. IL'll take everything into concideration. Thanks again.
R. Dave

D

department19972

Reaction score
I agree with Al on the 4 units of fully waxed posterior. With a waxer making $4-5 per unit waxed, a processing tech to invest, devest, desprue I'm looking at maybe $2 labor plus materials, fit and finish at between $3-5.00 depending on what's needed, it's hard to imagine I could be more profitable doing this with CAD. The printed units I've seen are only 80-85% complete, requiring me to touch every one. Also, maintaining the milling machine has an expense and if the margins are bad, I'm SOL. Pressing is the better option for me, at least now.

R

Rugardave

Reaction score
That's exactly the point with the milling.I do everything under a scope and find the pressed margins seem to be better than the milled except when the shoulder is perfectly smooth and scanned with packed cord.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Al, what is art paper?

D

DeVreugd

Reaction score
Hand waxed, margin sealed, invested & pressed e.max...... I like this result!
e.max onlay.003.jpg