Veneers milling

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am curious about what people are doing for veneer cases. Are people still mainly hand waxing and pressing because the mill minimum thickness?
I do not have a press furnace, so I am more curious about the milling side.
Also how am I to finish these cases do I need to fire lisi on platinum foil? Refractory die? I've never done foils. Do refractory dies require a burn out furnace to not contaminate my porcelain oven? Its been many years since I have even thought of doing veneers. I've got a Dr coming on board who loves to do small glass bonding. It is an area I am sorely lacking in.

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Answers are in order of questions. Yes,no,no,yes. Basically hand wax press and use custom peg putty. My 2 cents

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Small and glass and milling.. Not a good combination.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We haven't had waxed anything since we got our PM7 three years ago. We mill the wax and then press for emax. Having said that, fits on veneers have always been an issue. I have started printing our veneers with better results as far as fit over milled wax veneers. The issue is the consistency of the printed veneers. I think the issues are due to how I am supporting the design on the printer's build plate. I just don't have a lot of time to nail it down. The key to a better fit is being able to get rid of the drill compensation when you print the veneers over milling them.

A

Artin

Reaction score
Hey there,
Lately what I see, people are printing their veneers cause it’s more precise than milling, but in our lab we Mill them out of wax and you know the rest.
regarding torefractory and platinum foil technics I love them but we don’t do it in our lab, cause usually it’s too much work and you can’t do it with any dentist they should be on top of their game so you don’t end up redoing them over and over again which can cost you lots of time, money and energy buuuuuuuut it’s soooooo much fun :)

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I have seen great results milling, but you can definitely run into problems if the prep design requires much drill compensation. You still want someone who is capable of hand waxing to do your processing if you want good results. I get the appeal of printing for a more intimate fit, but I haven't seen printing of single units that aren't going to be more of a pain because of the milling supports

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hey there,
Lately what I see, people are printing their veneers cause it’s more precise than milling, but in our lab we Mill them out of wax and you know the rest.
regarding torefractory and platinum foil technics I love them but we don’t do it in our lab, cause usually it’s too much work and you can’t do it with any dentist they should be on top of their game so you don’t end up redoing them over and over again which can cost you lots of time, money and energy buuuuuuuut it’s soooooo much fun :)
We used to do refractory veneers also, but we don't any longer due to the amount of labor involved.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have seen great results milling, but you can definitely run into problems if the prep design requires much drill compensation. You still want someone who is capable of hand waxing to do your processing if you want good results. I get the appeal of printing for a more intimate fit, but I haven't seen printing of single units that aren't going to be more of a pain because of the milling supports
We have someone with a hand waxer touching up the margins were needed.

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
Hey there,

years ago i was taught to adapt foil matrix and swaging the dies for maximum compression

my hands still hurt

A

Artin

Reaction score
years ago i was taught to adapt foil matrix and swaging the dies for maximum compression

my hands still hurt
Your hands hurt but you’ve got the swag now :) and I’m sure nobody else can do it better than you can if you still have pain in your hands.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I am curious about what people are doing for veneer cases. Are people still mainly hand waxing and pressing because the mill minimum thickness?
I do not have a press furnace, so I am more curious about the milling side.
Also how am I to finish these cases do I need to fire lisi on platinum foil? Refractory die? I've never done foils. Do refractory dies require a burn out furnace to not contaminate my porcelain oven? Its been many years since I have even thought of doing veneers. I've got a Dr coming on board who loves to do small glass bonding. It is an area I am sorely lacking in.
We mill zirconia with at least 50% translucency and they are bonded using Z prime cement.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Is there supposed to be a cement gap when bonding Lisi? Can zirconia be bonded?

leonlazic

leonlazic

Reaction score
I have too been very skeptic about bonding zirconia but there have been some major advencements in the field.
MDP primer infused cements like Panavia or G-cem One
ZircosE etching
Both really enhancing the bond and in vitro being really comparable to our current gold standards of adhesive bonding. But for in vivo only time will tell.

G

Gus613

Reaction score
you could print ceramic resin for Veneer if Bogo and sprintray have taught resin for ceramic print but you have to have a new compatible printer and stainless steel plate cover if you print on an aluminum plate your print will be discolored

G

grantoz

Reaction score
mill wax and press we dont do foil veneers and we dont do refractory any more as too many are cracked by the dentist luting them in or they just crack later they have max strength of about 100mpa before being glued at .8mm thick so you can imagine what they are like at .3mm to handle ,also you are ****ed if you want a reshade or addition and the icing on the cake is the dentist doesnt want to pay for the work required in 1st place let alone the remakes.