Versacryl

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Bill,

I now use Versacryl for all applications where I need soft coverage or protection. The versatility of the product comes in the fact that you can control the hardness of the material in its processed state by adjusting the hardner softner/ratios pre-process, yet it still exhibits that slow recovery after deformation which keeps it from bouncing or springing after occlusal load or pressure is released.

Softer processesed state applications could be used for isolation of torii, prominent median raphe relief, unloadable implant integration areas, and so forth.
Is there a specific patient condition that this kind of flexibility doesnt cover?

Last edited:
yooper886

yooper886

Reaction score
Bill,
Is there a specific patient condition that this kind of flexibility doesnt cover?

Tom

Not that I am aware of, just wanted to ask to make sure my assumption was correct.

Another question for you, How long does the Versacryl last on average compared to other softliners. I figure alot will depend on the patient and how they treat as with other softliners?

As usual you are a wealth of infomation and always willing to share.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Bill,

Of the plasticized resin variety of soft-liner material, longevity is the same, falling under the specifications listed by the ADA for a "permanent" soft liner.

Remember that longevity of this type of material depends on how fast the plasticizers leach from it. As you alluded to, there are a variety of patient and enviormental factors that would cause any material in that catagory to last longer or shorter. Tops on that causation list is if the resin has been heat cured or self cured, use of a sealer after lab fabrication and has been re-sealed after clinical adjustment, thermocycling frequency, home care habits, and cleaning agents used.

From my experience , between 18-30 months depending on above stated factors.

Last edited:
C

CShof

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first lower reline using Versacryl. Anything I need to know? What have you found to be a typical powder/liquid ratio to be used for relines?

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
I dont know what you bought or were sampled.
If its the self cure reline kit, the recommendation is 1.5 powder to 1 part liquid by weight. If the kit is supplied with premixed liquid, dont try to adjust softness by changing the p/l ratios. The softness is pre-determined by the premix liquid. Use only a pipette or eyedropper solely dedicated to the reline liquid. Dont use anything you have previously mixed standard acylic with, eyedroppers or mixing containers, as the residual monomer in any amount will change the processed state of Versacryl to a harder consistency.Make sure you reduce at least 2-3 mm from the denture base.

C

CShof

Reaction score
Thanks for info! I have their self cure sample kit they sent me with my Diamond D sample.

How long do I have between the time I mix it up and its too stiff to work with?

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
It depends on the abient temperature of your lab, but the consistency your looking for is that of thick honey, but doesnt stick to your gloves. (2-5 minutes)
I am referring to "powderless" latex gloves which I recommend you use in the handling.

popcorn

Kreyer

Kreyer

Reaction score
Bill,

Of the plasticized resin variety of soft-liner material, longevity is the same, falling under the specifications listed by the ADA for a "permanent" soft liner.

Remember that longevity of this type of material depends on how fast the plasticizers leach from it. As you alluded to, there are a variety of patient and enviormental factors that would cause any material in that catagory to last longer or shorter. Tops on that causation list is if the resin has been heat cured or self cured, use of a sealer after lab fabrication and has been re-sealed after clinical adjustment, thermocycling frequency, home care habits, and cleaning agents used.

From my experience , between 18-30 months depending on above stated factors.

Tom,

Can you discuss the biodegration of plasticized acrylics and their effect in the oral environment. Are there any concerns with Phthalate ester (plasticizer) leaching into the human body?

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
No,
I dont have a degree in polymer chemistry or systemic biology so I will pass on trying to interpret any of that kind of information.

Plasticizers are in most if not all tissue conditioners and many resin based softliners manufactured by a dozens of companys.

I will say that manufacturers of dental products have a very stringent regulatory process they must go through in order to sell their products on the open market now days

Keystone, because of its an AMERICAN based location of manufacturering, has enabled me to observe protocols and participate with the full time regulatory person that interfaces directly with the ADA and FDA to assure their products comply in all areas of public health and processes of manfacturing.

Last edited:
Brian

Brian

Reaction score
The more I work with the material, the more I love the stuff!

ai602.photobucket.com_albums_tt104_signaturedental_case319002_1.jpg

ai602.photobucket.com_albums_tt104_signaturedental_case319006_1.jpg

ai602.photobucket.com_albums_tt104_signaturedental_case319008_1.jpg
ai602.photobucket.com_albums_tt104_signaturedental_case319002_1.jpg ai602.photobucket.com_albums_tt104_signaturedental_case319006_1.jpg ai602.photobucket.com_albums_tt104_signaturedental_case319008_1.jpg

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Glad you tried it.

Im glad you gave it a second look. There are more things you can do with it. Just takes imagination and creativity.

Was that the self cure or heat cure version of the lab kit you made that with?

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Self cure... Stuff is like duct tape, thousands of uses..

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
So how well does the stuff stick to conventional acrylic? Does it tear easily?

Is there a gloss glaze like used on Moloplast? Looks like it has some interesting properties.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Sticks very tenaciously since it is acrylic. There is a gloss available, thats why I asked Brian. The paint on gloss will give it longer life, but just chill it and pumice and it will gloss very nicely that way also.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
It's a true performer, no doubt!

Block out all under cuts and where I want to place the material, dupe the model, process on the dupe. Trim, seat to master. Soak the master in warm water, mix the material softner / hardner, wet finger and thumb the material where I want, cut excess and in the pot... Remove, chill and finish.

Quick, clean and very receptive by the pt's..

I give it a 10!

C

CPLZ

Reaction score
Is there an indication/contraindication for self cure vs. heat cure?

Also, what is the practical life of cold cure?

What kind of upcharge would you make for doing a case like Brians?

Thanks,
Chip

cdr50

cdr50

Reaction score
Comparison of Versacryl Laboratory Kit to other commonly used materials

I am not trying to hide the fact that I represent Keystone Industries, the manufacturer of Versacryl (and of Diamond D Ultra Impact Denture Acrylic)-couldn't resist.

I will mention the qualities we believe the Versacryl Laboratory Kit exhibits and give my opinion if the competitive product exhibits the same quality. This might dispel the rumors that Versacryl is the same as another product that was mentioned earlier in this string. We make the acrylic at Keystone Industries in our reactors right here in Cherry Hill New Jersey USA. Same as we do the Diamond D so I would think we would know.

1. Therm-adjustable Versacryl yes: Impak yes: Flexite no: Permasoft no:

2. Control over rigidty Versacry yes: Impak no: Flexite no: Permasoft no:

3. Bonds to acrylic Versacryl yes: Impak no: Flexite no: Permasoft yes:

4. Heat Cure & Self Cure Versacryl yes: Impak yes: Flexite no: Permasoft no:

5. Repairable Versacryl yes: Impak no: Flexite no: Permasoft yes:

6. Can be used for clasp Versacryl yes: Impak no: Flexite yes: Permasoft no:

7. Can be used for relines Versacryl yes: Impak no: Flexite no: Permasoft yes:

8. Has a memory Versacryl yes: Impak yes: Flexite no: Permasoft no:

9. Can use Chairside Versacryl yes: Impak no: Flexite no: Permasoft yes:

10. Multiple applications Versacryl yes: Impak no: Flexite no: Permasoft no:

Please note. These are my opinions and not necessarily the opinions of Keystone Industries. I can be swayed by others providing I am given a good enough argument but why bother since they are only opinions.

As Groucho Marx once said-Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.:)

cdr50

cdr50

Reaction score
More Versacryl Information form manufacturer

I should mention that Versacyl also has a Heat Cure and a Self Cure Reline Kit where the Softener Monomer and the Hardener Monomers that are in the Laboratory Kit have been Pre-Mixed into one Monomer called (get this) Pre-Mixed Monomer at ratio that we have predetermined to be best for a Denture Reline material that softens at body temperature.

Here are the Ratios of Versacryl Softener Monomer to Versacryl Hardener Monomer for various applications for the Versacryl Laboratory Kit.

Directions for Use:

Liquid A is Versacryl Softener Liquid
Liquid B is either Versacryl Hardener Heat Cure Liquid or Versacryl Hardener
Self Cure Liquid (depending on which Laboratory kit is being used, the Heat
Cure or the Self Cure Kit)

Following are the suggested number of drops to use and ratios for mixing the two liquids in order to obtain the rigidity required for each application:

Application A B % Adjustment
Postdam 4 16 20% A - 80% B
Lingual flanges 9 21 30% A - 70% B
Friction Clasp 3 6 35% A - 65% B
Periphery undercut 10 10 50% A - 50% B
Gasket Clasp 6 2 75% A - 25% B
Reline (softest) 42 8 84% A - 16% B
Stress breaker 10 0 100% A - 0% B

In a small mixing cup, add the following:
1. From bottle A, the amount of drops indicated in column A
2. From bottle B, the amount of drops indicated in column B
3. Stir both liquids together for about 10 seconds
4. From the polymer container C (Versacryl Pink or Clear Powder),while stirring, add 1.5 parts of powder to 1 part liquid, by weight.
5. For heat cure: stir until thick enough to knead and pack against liquid B monomer-primed acrylic immediately (see heat cure method).
6. For self cure: stir while vibrating and quickly apply to existing liquid B monomer-primed acrylic (see self cure method).

The more liquid B used in the mixture, the more rigid the end result becomes. If the obtained rigidity is not satisfactory, the amount of drops can be modified, but always adjust the liquid with the highest amount of drops and keep notes in the blank adjustment column.

L

labdude

Reaction score
I don't know how I got to join this site....Iusually don't join up anywhere that would accept a person like myself.