Micro Bender MB1?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
theres plenty competition, OP just didn't look.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Neither did I, apparently, I've always been interested in building one so I overlook commercial offerings, i.e. https://www.instructables.com/Spring-Making-Wire-Bending-Machine/
Not a particularly serious machine, mostly 3D printed and all, but the principles really are pretty simple, and scale in a straightforward way. It seems to get trickier once you can't use a MIG wire feed mechanism. That and writing your own gcode for jobs...

I haven't done any ortho wirework, so this is probably a naive question, but I used to do a lot of it as a jeweller- is it impractical to use bending jigs/similar tooling to simplify fabrication for repetitive components? That's where my mind goes, before CNC forming- steel tooling in an arbor press or very light fly-press to help expedite any common features like loops, bends with specified radii / final angles, etc, or roughing out blanks for hand-finishing.

LabRat23

LabRat23

Reaction score
theres plenty competition, OP just didn't look.

I haven't looked into lingual but the other three I had conversations with the Reps and they weren't able to fully guarantee what we want to do with those machines! Thanks for the copy paste though looks good! ;) Ill check out Lingual and hope for a good reply LOL (We are not a ortho lab)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
that Lingual technology is a whole bracketmaker, laser etch, wire bending, and design suite. if i had to guess, probably 150-200k

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
we run about 160 c clasps alone monthly now if we increased our clasp production by 100 we would be able to be profitable but we dont have the clientell to do so hence us on the fence about a purchase this size for now but if we did increase it based on what we charge already we would be able to profit. I cant tell you price point but basically if we were at 250 c clasps alone monthly we would pay it off in a year. Right now we offer 3 different priced clasps and we already have labs inquiring about sending their cases here to bend wire and send it back. If we were charging 10 a clasp we would have to up the price overall of the product to compensate that price tag but we are north of that but nothing crazy we still keep prices competitive for the area. Its almost impossible to find someone who can bend clasps to our standards and our owner can bend a c clasp in a 1 minute and 15 seconds and we just cant find any techs out there with that kind of speed and accuracy to even get clasp bending to 3 minutes the quality goes right out the window based on previous applicants.
Sounds crazy to me, but training someone and paying them a wage over 4 years would be more than this investments so I guess it would make long term sense. I do maybe 5 a month so its never been a thought of mine.
95K + 9k annually just seems like a totally out-of-proportion cost for what this is, imo. think about how much 5-axis CNC mill you can get for that, and all the many ways that can pay for itself in a not-unreasonable span of time. CNC wire bending is not particularly tricky to do by CNC machine tool standards, and the machinery lacks the huge cast steel/granite forms and hundreds of pounds of precision-ground steel you're paying for there- if nothing else, I'm surprised there isn't more competition in the market to help drive that price point a little closer to earth.
Wires are bent less and less Hawley retainers once a staple of post ortho has now been nearly replaced by clear retentive thermoplastic, as well as some springs and bend appliances. Flippers have been mitigated with flexibles.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Have recently had the oppertunity to test the YOAT and the MB1, and it seems very promising, unfortunately the YOAT is lingual wire exclusive so the draw is much lower for an ortho lab, as the time save is not huge when we compare to conventional 3-3 bending, also considering a lot of our bult is Kros style which needs extra bends outside 3-3.

The MB1 seems very promising and even bent a couple of appliances that worked really well, wrap arounds and stuff like that is where we get a real time save, 2-3 min to design and 1min to bend vs 20min to bend manually we see a nice time save.

Looking forward to running more tests but looks good overall.

LabRat23

LabRat23

Reaction score
Have recently had the oppertunity to test the YOAT and the MB1, and it seems very promising, unfortunately the YOAT is lingual wire exclusive so the draw is much lower for an ortho lab, as the time save is not huge when we compare to conventional 3-3 bending, also considering a lot of our bult is Kros style which needs extra bends outside 3-3.

The MB1 seems very promising and even bent a couple of appliances that worked really well, wrap arounds and stuff like that is where we get a real time save, 2-3 min to design and 1min to bend vs 20min to bend manually we see a nice time save.

Looking forward to running more tests but looks good overall.
Did you test them at a expo? how was the software of them both I hear the JawDraw is very user friendly

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Did you test them at a expo? how was the software of them both I hear the JawDraw is very user friendly
We ended up working with the software (JawDraw) for about a month, the software has had some good updates, its easy to use and does allow for a good range of flexibility. I am excited to test more when I have the machine in hand.
To be fair there was some issues but the support team was quick to help respond or roll out patches to fix stuff which was nice even in the short time we had it in hand.

The YOAT bender software was much more limited as its designed for 3-3 use. It doesn't allow you to do much more where the Jawdraw is more sandbox and flexible if you like to experiment.