Anyone out there using Versacryl?

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used Versacryl for gaskets or flexible clasps? It's thermally activated and you can use the powder with a hardener/softener liquid in different ratios to achieve different levels of retention and rigidity. Personally, I love the stuff. I have been using it for 3 years or so for adding clear clasps to acrylic rpd's. I just tried it a few months back with a gasket-type overdenture application. I think my ratio still needs tweaked a bit. I also have had great success with tying in to flexible nylon rpd's if a clasp needs added with EXCELLENT results!! Just wanted to hear your opinions/applications for how you use it in your lab!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used Versacryl for gaskets or flexible clasps? It's thermally activated and you can use the powder with a hardener/softener liquid in different ratios to achieve different levels of retention and rigidity. Personally, I love the stuff. I have been using it for 3 years or so for adding clear clasps to acrylic rpd's. I just tried it a few months back with a gasket-type overdenture application. I think my ratio still needs tweaked a bit. I also have had great success with tying in to flexible nylon rpd's if a clasp needs added with EXCELLENT results!! Just wanted to hear your opinions/applications for how you use it in your lab!
How are you securing the new clasp to the Nylon? Purely mechanical making a loop in the new material? Does it chemically bond somehow?

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Mostly mechanically, but I use a bit of superglue as well. The way I do it is remove good bit of nylon from the intaglio and buccal so that you can almost see through the nylon. I feather my prep on the buccal into the bulk of the nylon. Then I take a #2 round bur and cut some divergent holes into the thicker nylon on the buccal. The area that I cut really thin, I take my #2 (Sometimes #1) and drill retention through that area as well. On the intaglio, I do the same divergent retention that I did on the buccal.

Then I brush on a thin layer of superglue just on the retentive holes area. I let that dry. Then I reactivate it with my monomer when I add my Versacryl or whatever repair material you want to use. I know I might catch some heat for the superglue part, but it is seriously a very small amount, completely covered by acrylic. I find that it really enhances the bond to the nylon. I almost didn't want to write that I use superglue, but yeah that's how I get it done. I suppose I could omit it, and only rely on the mechanical retention. This was a technique that was passed down to me from my old boss, so don't kill the messenger!

But yeah, the repair turns out VERY nice, you wouldn't be able to tell I even added to it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Mostly mechanically, but I use a bit of superglue as well. The way I do it is remove good bit of nylon from the intaglio and buccal so that you can almost see through the nylon. I feather my prep on the buccal into the bulk of the nylon. Then I take a #2 round bur and cut some divergent holes into the thicker nylon on the buccal. The area that I cut really thin, I take my #2 (Sometimes #1) and drill retention through that area as well. On the intaglio, I do the same divergent retention that I did on the buccal.

Then I brush on a thin layer of superglue just on the retentive holes area. I let that dry. Then I reactivate it with my monomer when I add my Versacryl or whatever repair material you want to use. I know I might catch some heat for the superglue part, but it is seriously a very small amount, completely covered by acrylic. I find that it really enhances the bond to the nylon. I almost didn't want to write that I use superglue, but yeah that's how I get it done. I suppose I could omit it, and only rely on the mechanical retention. This was a technique that was passed down to me from my old boss, so don't kill the messenger!

But yeah, the repair turns out VERY nice, you wouldn't be able to tell I even added to it.
How about a picture or two on the next case? Would you mind?

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Also, if you have any old Vulcanite burs laying around, they are the bees knees when doing bulk nylon reduction. Very clean, no strings.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Yeah man, I'll be glad to! I will see if I can do a video and post it on youtube. I'm gonna see if my old boss would let me come back in the lab to do an instructional video on it. I'm starting a new job in a couple weeks. But maybe next week I can for sure. Me and the old boss are really "tight" so I doubt there would be any issues.

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
I bought the duraflex system about a year ago and have had great success with it. The acetal resin gun is great for adding clear clasps to metal or acrylic partials. I’ve also been able to reshoot a clasp into a flexible partial that I over finished or didn’t like. From wax up to removing putty is about 30 min? Maybe quicker if you push it?