TRIOS® Scanner

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
What's the user fee for the Treos. Like Itero has 3 different levels of partnerships and different rates. That's the only thing Im concerned with. Dr's buy it not me. If they go with lava, Itero, or Treos it doesn't really matter cuz unless every Dr has one Im still going to have to pour up models. Unless this tech becomes extremely cheap for Dr's or unless you only have Dr that only use intra oral scanners there is always going to be a need for model techs

As far as I've heard there aren't any 'click fees'.

A

alan2423

Reaction score
there will be no click fees, just a yearly fee the same as it is now.

R

rshark

Reaction score
So the only 'software issue' is too much data? Doesn't sound like a bug to me. I've personally used the Trios and never had an issue with scans, as long as you 'post process' them in the analyze stage. It's been a while since I used it though.
The main issue was when you spent too long actually doing the scan with the trigger pulled. All the time the scanner is collecting data and eventually it got to a point where it says enough and would crash. I'm sure they have it sorted now from that perspective with SSD's and heaps of RAM. Here in AU we still aren't sure who will make the models for the scans. Trios here is being released by a couple of companies under different banners, and a good friend of mine has been given the job of organizing the national release for one of them. It was due in May, now looks like being August. I first saw it at IDS and spoke to the 3shape people on the stand and they said it was due last year, but has been plagued with issues, and have had to keep pushing the release date back. At least they seem to waiting for it to actually be ready for release instead of throwing it out there with big promises and then making you wait 3 years to actually get what you paid $65,000 for. Then start selling the same thing you paid a huge amount of money for to the next guy down the road for half what they made you pay. Thanks Nobelbiocare.

K

kentist

Reaction score
Any of you guys know the price range for the trios?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
35,000-40,000 I think hereus will be charging ongoing fees per case. I could be wrong. Ray have you spoken to any dentists/labs who are trialing the system?

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
I think that price point will be a bit too high to get an effective share. Scanner prices are dropping to sub $30k ranges, and the first company to get a scanner out at $19k will blow things wide open.

I worry about the open architecture aspect of the scanner as well. Now, for a lab, this model works, but for a dentist, it can be perilous. Most GP's want to play in an environment that has all the bugs worked out, and an easy interface (i.e. CEREC, iTero) to complete their restorations. If all the pieces aren't in place for this, I would think many potential users will shy away or get discouraged by the unit.

Of course, if some strategic partners come into play to support the scanner, this could be a moot point. Isn't speculation a great thing??

v2thmaster

v2thmaster

Reaction score
Here is a small demo, I had an opportunity to play with the Trios and I think this is nice piece of equipment. The rep said it will be available this July and the price around 40K (I will know exact number next week)

3Shape Trios® Intraoral Scanner - YouTube

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Nice!! Is it really that loud? Sounds like a jack hammer.

v2thmaster

v2thmaster

Reaction score
The clicking is a little annoying.

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
The main issue was when you spent too long actually doing the scan with the trigger pulled. All the time the scanner is collecting data and eventually it got to a point where it says enough and would crash. I'm sure they have it sorted now from that perspective with SSD's and heaps of RAM. Here in AU we still aren't sure who will make the models for the scans. Trios here is being released by a couple of companies under different banners, and a good friend of mine has been given the job of organizing the national release for one of them. It was due in May, now looks like being August. I first saw it at IDS and spoke to the 3shape people on the stand and they said it was due last year, but has been plagued with issues, and have had to keep pushing the release date back. At least they seem to waiting for it to actually be ready for release instead of throwing it out there with big promises and then making you wait 3 years to actually get what you paid $65,000 for. Then start selling the same thing you paid a huge amount of money for to the next guy down the road for half what they made you pay. Thanks Nobelbiocare.

Interesting notes, we have had the opportunity to work with the TRIOS since October last year and have gained extensive experience with intra-oral scans since February (time of TGA approval in Australia). We have not experienced the "crash" issues you are describing, in fact the file size is surprisingly small provided you have post-processed the data as described earlier in this thread.

The issue you describe may relate to the software version / interface used. We only have experience with the native 3Shape interface and we have found version 1.1.1.4 working very well.
Please be aware there may be differences in the software depending which reseller you purchase the system from.
For example you can have a native 3Shape software interface or an interface customized by the reseller.

Native 3Shape TRIOS interface:

3shape.gif

Customized TRIOS interface:

cara.gif

The 3Shape TRIOS version of the system has been available commercially in Australia since March this year.
cara.gif 3shape.gif

Last edited:
DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
The clicking is a little annoying.

This can be changed:

Go to Settings --> General --> System --> Sound Volume

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
"At least they seem to waiting for it to actually be ready for release instead of throwing it out there with big promises and then making you wait 3 years to actually get what you paid $65,000 for. Then start selling the same thing you paid a huge amount of money for to the next guy down the road for half what they made you pay. Thanks Nobelbiocare."

That seems to be a common thing with many systems. Thats why id never buy another system again without an in-house trial period.

G

green916

Reaction score
The handheld will be available in July and is $36k. Just a little cheaper than cart version.

2bearnest

Reaction score
"Open" alternatives to Cerec

Hey guys, trying my best to dissuade a few dentists from Cerec by pushing alternatives. We will most likely be getting 3 Shape so my first thought was trios, but I'm interested in all open archs.
Which intraoral scanners are open and which are closed?

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Open- Trios, True Def & Itero if you pay a big fee for access to the files.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
At IDS this past March I did a podcast with Tais (one of the founders of 3Shape and the current CTO) about the new Trios Pod color IOS. It's really awesome! If i were a doc i would be buying this one. You can see it here.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeepHO6boc

Last edited:
ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
Open- Trios, True Def & Itero if you pay a big fee for access to the files.
Hi Bob, what is the "big fee" on open tru-def files. From my experience the stl is immediately available and there is not any fee to utilize it. I was also told 3m is launching a new margin marking software, is anyone familiar with the platform style, dwos, or something entirely new? -Eric-:confused:

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Not sure, I think there are two plans. one is about $200 a month and the full open STL solution is closer to $300.