Soft Tissue Model

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Im remaking a couple of crowns done by one of the big labs (they failed to engage anti-rotation on synOcta here),anyway I like how they did the soft tissue, mine always ends up rough...any ideas on how they got it so glassy smooth and conical before pouring stone? Im trying to picture how or what they wrapped around the analog in the impression to get that so dang smooth.

ai.imgur.com_VxEPv.jpg

thanks,
rex
ai.imgur.com_VxEPv.jpg

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
They probably injected the tissue material after they poured the job.

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Rex, i think it's Gingifast Soft (Zhermack) + mixing tips. I'm afraid that there's no secret.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
They probably injected the tissue material after they poured the job.

this makes sense, thanks SikBoy

AVG, thats what I do now but make no attempt at smoothing beyond what I can do with the tip, then pour stone...

rex

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Before pouring the impression trysmoothing with a #7 wax spatula wetted with H2O

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
With the Coltene Gi-Mask that I use I can inject it around my analog/abutment, then after it hardens I can take it off and clean it up with a bur or #11 blade. You snap the soft tissue back on the model and pour up the stone after you have it in the shape you want. You have to be very careful that everything goes back on the way it came off, and is snug to the impression when you do this. If you pour your stone, and there is stone on top of the soft tissue then of course your soft tissue moved out of place or was not tight.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Dip a cement mixing spatula in any separator and form it while wet. Or if you have too many to do at one time use a sharp #11 blade after its set like others have stated.

My pet peeve is the stupid implant analogs that are not the same diameter the entire length of the analog. The new Conical connection or active from Nobel is a bitch to remove unless you make the tissue really short.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I use a Q-tip with water on it to smooth the material. You have to gauge when it is set enough to do it without causing problems.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
My pet peeve is the stupid implant analogs that are not the same diameter the entire length of the analog. The new Conical connection or active from Nobel is a bitch to remove unless you make the tissue really short.

Ive destroyed a couple trying to pop them out, so when I saw this soft tissue cast I was curious how others are doing them. Like you I do several at once, I hate wasting material in the mixing tube for just one analog.

Injecting sounds interesting...so.... baseplatewax the analogs in a conical shape, alcohol torch to smooth (explains the glassy look),pour impression, seperate-remove wax, drill holes in impression, reset cast and inject. Prolly do a bunch at once that way with nice results.

rex

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I don't do any of the above, I
Just screw the analogue into
The impression and pour it up. Let it set and separate. Then
I just bur out the stone around the analog to the depth and shape that I want avoiding undercuts etc. then drill
A hole into the impression in the area where I have burred the stone. Put the impression back into the model
And inject until it starts to come out of the hole.*

You have way more control of where to want the gum material when you remove the stone away from the analog. It comes
Out clean with no stringy/wormy bits

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
Ive destroyed a couple trying to pop them out, so when I saw this soft tissue cast I was curious how others are doing them. Like you I do several at once, I hate wasting material in the mixing tube for just one analog.

Injecting sounds interesting...so.... baseplatewax the analogs in a conical shape, alcohol torch to smooth (explains the glassy look),pour impression, seperate-remove wax, drill holes in impression, reset cast and inject. Prolly do a bunch at once that way with nice results.

rex

Take a look at BETTER FASTER CHEAPER SYRINGE you should get much less waste than using the typical cartrige with a long mixing tip.

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
or you take 2 surgical large blade and you stick it in the impression and you make a wall on each side of the implant analog and you put your gingival material, once its set you pull your blades from the impression and you'l have nice strait walls of pink gingiva.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I use the Ivoclar Gingitech, stuff stays soft and flexible to the very end never hardens to be too hard and rough. I use utility wax and make walls in the impression then syringe the gingitech into place and let dry. While it is drying the bottom side where the stone will cover finishes smooth, never had it finish any other way.

PS as for the anti rotation on the synocta the abutment its self has four flat walls and if they used a engaging coping you will not have any rotation at all, no need to notch the abutment. Only way to have rotation on a synocta system is to use the non engaging coping.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Unlike the models in the pictures, I bring my tissue all the way to the adjacent teeth, not leaving stone there. I make it a bit bulbous under the contact teeth so the material has a nice undercut on the model and it snaps in a bit and stays put. Clean your excess up after giving it about 30 seconds to set up. The zhermack is really pliable and always work towards the impression so you dont lift the material..

I never remove this before pouring up, it will never fit back down exactly flush with the material or get back in all the crevices of the analog.

Not saying this is better or worse than any other comments posted, just what works for me.
Only real problem is zhermack with polyether impression material, as Ive posted about before..

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Unlike the models in the pictures, I bring my tissue all the way to the adjacent teeth, not leaving stone there. I make it a bit bulbous under the contact teeth so the material has a nice undercut on the model and it snaps in a bit and stays put. Clean your excess up after giving it about 30 seconds to set up. The zhermack is really pliable and always work towards the impression so you dont lift the material..

I never remove this before pouring up, it will never fit back down exactly flush with the material or get back in all the crevices of the analog.

Not saying this is better or worse than any other comments posted, just what works for me.
Only real problem is zhermack with polyether impression material, as Ive posted about before..

Agreed, but you still need to have enough of the analog exposed for good stone retention. Bringing the tissue up too high will also cause an issue of poor stone retention. I tend to leave about 3/4 of the analog exposed for stone retention. but I do bring the tissue up to the adjacent teeth and never remove it from the impression for cleaning up and smoothing.