Encode soft tissue models

Fogember

Reaction score
What are some of the techniques you use to create a soft tissue model on an encode impression? Our Rep has told us to inject a doughnut of soft tissue in the impression trying not to get any to run into the detail areas (easier said than done). Then pour the model. When we get the model back a large hole has been drilled to glue in the analog, the soft tissue does not fit and we never get an accurate emergence profile. We have tried other techniques, but they seem time consuming and not very accurate. Thought I might learn something. Thanks!

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
tell the Dr. to pull the healing cap and use a transfer. problem solved, welcome to Biomet3i.
question though. your going to modify an abutment made by Bio? to fit the soft tissue? seems like a lot more work than you would get paid for

Fogember

Reaction score
I've Preached using a transfer coping, but nope! No we won't modify the abutment. Now that the Dr has had an issue he is willing to use a pick-up coping, go figure, New Model. Never time to do it right, always time to do it over. Just wanted some ideas on how others are doing models for these. I dislike Biomet3i much!:mad:

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
yea, we don't really have a solution.. we just explain the difference, and that usually equates to the Dr. "seeing the light"

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
"welcome to Biomet3i, may I take your coat and wallet?"
"yes sir, you may keep your coat, but I really must insist on taking your wallet"

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
tell biomet to go screw. literally.
they've made this encode system stupid for labs.

transfer posts are a must. anything less and i dont make any promises on fit/form.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
and mark those up
SIGNIFICANTLY!!!!!!

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Put a healing cap on the model once you get it back from 3i. Take some putty and make a quick putty index of the adjacent teeth and the tissue area. Remove the putty index and healing cap. Grind down the stone to make room for the tissue to desired level. Re insert healing cap fill with tissue on both the model and the putty index then put the putty index back on the model and wait for tissue to dry.

Just thought about this technique right now, should work nicely if you make a good full coverage putty index.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Putty matrix on the prepo before you send to Biomet to be robocasted, when it comes back wit the analog in place putty putty back on the model and inject soft tissue. Use a 4 mm round cross cut carbide and bore a hole through the tissue to expose analog and shape to desired sulcus.

I charge VERY heavy for this soft tissue model, when they complain I explain the options. Many times they never change and when they don't I am getting paid for my time. Problem solved.

Fogember

Reaction score
Thanks, Sevan and John. This is what I have been doing, just thought I might be missing something simple. Yes we do charge extra for this. Our encode cases are almost double in price over other systems. Our Dr's know this up front and don't complain. I guess I need to quit venting and move on.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I've Preached using a transfer coping, but nope! No we won't modify the abutment. Now that the Dr has had an issue he is willing to use a pick-up coping, go figure, New Model. Never time to do it right, always time to do it over. Just wanted some ideas on how others are doing models for these. I dislike Biomet3i much!:mad:
Encodes suck to work with... once it goes proprietary it goes to crap.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Thanks, Sevan and John. This is what I have been doing, just thought I might be missing something simple. Yes we do charge extra for this. Our encode cases are almost double in price over other systems. Our Dr's know this up front and don't complain. I guess I need to quit venting and move on.
Almost double? geez I would love to see them through the door then.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Almost double? geez I would love to see them through the door then.
double and you still don't make anything on them... especially by the time they cycle back thru the lab to add a contact because the robocast is always off.. always a crapshoot IMO

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I just scan 'em, design, put 'em through ModelBuilder and tell the program to eliminate the abutment design from the printed model....

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I just scan 'em, design, put 'em through ModelBuilder and tell the program to eliminate the abutment design from the printed model....
huh?
on encodes?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
double and you still don't make anything on them... especially by the time they cycle back thru the lab to add a contact because the robocast is always off.. always a crapshoot IMO
Do you not bill for cost of robocast/abutment+(%cut)? I thought he was saying he charged double for the standard implant over abutment crown, because it was a PITA.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Im Empowered. I get the stone cast, digitize, run through model builder, do the designs and done. Abutments are $150 with screw, no robocast fees. Doing plenty per day. Avg. cost out the door is ~$500

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
I've never done a soft tissue on encode. After robocast is done I have requested stone(tissue)to be trimmed for emergence profile(only in extreme, broad areas),but in most cases, I trim it myself prior to waxing PFM or doing Zirc. What I have experienced once or twice is healing abut. Has worked loose prior to impression being taken and Dr. Didn't realize it. Also at one point in time in the beginning,3i had to change the glue used to anchor the analogs into the models.the accuracy wasn't good.Getting back to the soft tissue aspect: I was told by one of the 3i techs that Encode models didn't need to have soft tissue, therefore I never used it. But if it became an issue, like already mentioned, soft tissue could be applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
After robocast I place a scan body and design the abutment bottoms as ideally to the contour of the final crown as possible.
When the abutment comes back I scribe around the border and remove stone with a carbide.
There really is no reason to go through the headache of doing soft tissue model. The tissue will conform to the abutment.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Not calling anyone stupid, LOL.

Top Bottom