Scanning a gold hued abutment for Zir crown

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have a case with 2 Au-hued Atlantis abutments(24 and 25). We haven't been very happy with the fits of the zirconia copings we have received after scanning a metal abutment. They don't have very good retention. We use a DWOS 3 series. Can anyone provide some tips so we can get better results? The spray we use is Lincoln ES-CAD Spray.

thanks!

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I have a case with 2 Au-hued Atlantis abutments(24 and 25). We haven't been very happy with the fits of the zirconia copings we have received after scanning a metal abutment. They don't have very good retention. We use a DWOS 3 series. Can anyone provide some tips so we can get better results? The spray we use is Lincoln ES-CAD Spray.

thanks!

Try duplicating the abutment with a thimbleful of silicone and making a stone die.

B

Buried1999

Reaction score
If you sandblast the abutments, I think the scanner will be able to scan without a problem. That's what we sometimes do with regular metal abutments. But, I don't know if it is a problem to do this for this case.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
have you tried adjusting the cement gap and the cement gap start point, I found that Zirconia on abutments was quite loose and not retentive if i went with my scanners preset parameters.

I set the cement gap to the smallest possible .001mm and the cement gap start point to 0.0mm ie the cement gap is even over the entire abutment right down to the finish line.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Try duplicating the abutment with a thimbleful of silicone and making a stone die.

Hot damn I love this forum! What a great idea Mark! We are duping them now. We can't sandblast these abutments because they have a gold plating on them and that might remove it. That is a good idea on regular Ti abutments though.

Adamb, I like your idea too and I am gonna check with our Cad/Cam guy to see if he has played with those parameters.

Thanks a ton everyone!

B

BruceQuality

Reaction score
It's all in the type of scanner!

When we want milled coping/crowns to fit our abutments correctly, we go back to our Procera Forte' which is a 'touch' scanner. Back when they were selling the benefits of 'touch' scanners over the 'light' scanners they were touting the fit more than anything else! Now that we have both scanners (Nobel Procera and Nobel Forte) and compare the fit side by side, the touch wins out on abutments!

I will have to try Mark's idea of duplicating the abutment in stone and see how one fits, however.

anil patel

anil patel

Reaction score
If you sandblast the abutments, I think the scanner will be able to scan without a problem. That's what we sometimes do with regular metal abutments. But, I don't know if it is a problem to do this for this case.

my friend give me some tips for scanning abutment,i dont have any kit,i read your post then think ,u r right but how is possible my friend

S

Swatch8x

Banned
Reaction score
Parameters for Zr copings on abutments

I'm using a DWOS Scanner along with its software, the 3 series. I had the same problems with adaptation of copings on abutments, and the problem was that I used the same values for the parameters as I was using for regular copings on stumps. After reducing the horizontal space the adaptation is perfect. I use 0.03 Horizontal for regular copings on stumps and modify it to 0.01 when I want to make a coping on an abutment. No need for duplicating or anything, just scan the abutments as usual.

Top Bottom