Remakes and how you handle them

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I handle remakes case by case. Which seems to cause me a lot of stress not having a firm policy on it. If I screw something up I am more than willing to fix it at no cost to the doc and I'll usually deliver the remake with a plate o' cookies. Although, when I get these "mystery" remake cases as I call them I argue with myself on how to handle them.

For example the 2 most recent cases -
A 2 unit fczir case came back with a short margin on the lingual of one, and buccal margin short on the other.. doc says she had to work hard on the inside just to seat the crowns - that to me is a big red flag that the impression is distorted. The old crowns dont begin to fit the new impression. So I have everything on my side to charge full price for the new crowns.

Another case is a 3 unit bridge which I had sent for a frame try in (which wasn't tried in). It was sent back to me to go ahead. Well it didn't fit at the seat for some reason. So new impression new frame, this one tried in this time and it fit perfect.. the funny thing is the old bridge fits the new model just fine.. riddle me that.
The biggest problem is the smoking gun proof of bad impressions sometimes just isn't there to prove. Im a one man lab and don't have much wiggle room to lose clients so I end up caving sometimes which leads to me being walked on. So how do you guys handle situations like this?

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
I'm also a 1 man show and had one practice that had 2 dentists, one was fine but the other one I had non stop drama with impressions and remakes due to impression distortions, I eventually walked away, said I could not continue to do their work, just didn't pay me to do it, not to mention the stress it brought. For me it has to be an economic decision, if the percentage of remakes is low relative to the amount of work that you get from that doc then I suck it up, I do a no charge remake no problem, we all make mistakes.
I try to resolve issue with the doc before walking away but some docs will not accept any liability so you are not going to get anywhere.
I canvassed for a new client and picked one up as a replacement quite easily, so glad I did, new doc is awesome, we work very well together, and I get paid on time too, what a winner!!, life is to short to mess about in bad situations with clients that don't gel with you, especially as a one man show.

If it ain't working out shake hands and part as friends!!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I'm upfront at the start of the relationship with the client.
If I screw it up it's on me.
If it fits the models and dies you bought it.
I do point out to them anything that may be a
problem before I even pour the impression that
gives them the opportunity to resolve it before it becomes
a remake.

disturbed

disturbed

Disturbing Member
Reaction score
If it Rarely happens..50%
Otherwise full charge

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
Ditto from disturbed, 50%. But I can count the remakes on one hand by the end of the year, you really need to break it down from the beginning as far as trimming margin to design or type of restoration, if there's any question at all it needs to be brought to the attention of the Dr. - if they give you the green light - not your remake. That being said, I have some clients that have been with me forever, and if there;s any trouble I have no problem doing whatever they need. I really appreciate all the years of work.

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Ditto from disturbed, 50%. But I can count the remakes on one hand by the end of the year, you really need to break it down from the beginning as far as trimming margin to design or type of restoration, if there's any question at all it needs to be brought to the attention of the Dr. - if they give you the green light - not your remake. That being said, I have some clients that have been with me forever, and if there;s any trouble I have no problem doing whatever they need. I really appreciate all the years of work.

yep same here - think safe to say we all have them

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I only have one problematic client...Unreadable margins mostly.. If I see anything that concerns me I always stop and either call the doc or send the model back for them to look at before I go further.. so yes I always cover my bases. If I don't and go for it and it comes back I'll remake it at no charge.
The bridge went for a try in and I was told it was good.. that to me is cut and dry but I'm not so sure it is to the doc...
Thanks for all the input guys.

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
I am also a one man lab. I worked as an assistant in the office before going back to school for lab work. Here is my re-make policy, all re-makes due to a lab error are covered by me. Re-makes must be sent back with the entire case. This allows me to determine whether or not I missed something or there was an issue with the impression. If it is not an issue that was caused by my work then the account is responsible for the full cost. That being said I have never charged for a re-make. On the rare occasion that they do come through I can review the model work and crown and discuss the possible causes with the doctor. After that I tell them that normally for issues that are outside of my control I would charge for a re-make, but because I know re-makes cost both of us money no matter where the error occurred I will not charge them this time. Also I let them know if it was a frequent issue that I have a policy in place. A Dentists profit margin starts to disappear as soon as they have to take a new impression and lose more chair time. This is one of those things that throws a wrench in my schedule when it happens, but I know how frustrating it is from the other end. The bottom line is that nobody likes re-makes and by reviewing the causes of them you can often get them to a minimum. Also if I make a mistake then my clients are more sympathetic when it is reciprocated.

user name

user name

Reaction score
One man gig here too. I didnt quite make it through last year...I had one redo in December. So far, clean slate this year. Communication start to finish If I have to spell out a policy its covered first year, 50% second year. Id look at the bottom line though...hard. If theyre having multiple problems then youre going to wind up like a service/repair man; you need to get paid for your time. Any other trade is going to get 85 bucks just to show up. Because my problems are so rare, Ill usually eat it. I even tossed a free crown to a Doctor last week. I didnt announce it, just dropped it off and wrote free on the invoice. They were very curious and surprised when I just said 'my way of saying thanks'. I still get a fat check at the end of the month. Its a balancing act. I treat my offices like a relationship. Act like you want to be treated.