Reducing Margins on 3Shape

I

Ivan_aYYY

Reaction score
I want to know how I can get a thin margin on 3Shape so when I mill a zirconia crown the other technicians in ceramics don't have to spend as much time adjusting to get it seat nicely.
I have used the Margin Line offset to get the results wanted, but when I always end up under minimum thickness (measure's at .45mm) and it chips. Under the Smart Tools with Contacts and Smoothing I can set the minimum thickness as low as .1mm, but nothing significant changes. Links with images included below.
With Adjusted Margin
Standard Margin
Exceeding Minimum Thickness

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Enter control panel and set the margin offset lower, but you must do this on the material and also the crown profile linked with that material. If you only do the crown the material will still want to enforce the thicker and vs.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I want to know how I can get a thin margin on 3Shape so when I mill a zirconia crown the other technicians in ceramics don't have to spend as much time adjusting to get it seat nicely.
I have used the Margin Line offset to get the results wanted, but when I always end up under minimum thickness (measure's at .45mm) and it chips. Under the Smart Tools with Contacts and Smoothing I can set the minimum thickness as low as .1mm, but nothing significant changes. Links with images included below.
With Adjusted Margin
Standard Margin
Exceeding Minimum Thickness
Set it too thin and it will chip, like you said. You may get some that mill out fine, but I would rather finish margins than patch margins.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
You can get away with it if it’s a nice shoulder prep, but if you’re trying to set it lower on a knife edge prep, the material and mill has its limitations.

T

TonyTheMachine

Reaction score
Set it too thin and it will chip, like you said. You may get some that mill out fine, but I would rather finish margins than patch margins.
Yup. Shortcuts often times look like what they are, shortcuts. Adding on to margins also looks like added on margins, especially on zirconia, and yes costs so much more time. Not worth the loss in production and material to learn this lesson the hard way imo.

R

rookiee

Reaction score
I have my margin offset down to 0,05 and hadnt had chiping in ages, even with feather prep but I mostly get shoulder ones...

B

Beldent Inc.

Reaction score
I have mine at 0.2 my milling machine-software recommands this thickness for less chips. You have to reduce it in adaptation, if well done it doesn't take more than 10 minutes, not so bad instead of adding to chipped margins! ^^

Top Bottom