Red Wing Lathe slowing down. Please Help

M

MayDental19

Reaction score
Hey we have Red Wing lathes at our lab. Two of them however (when being used to score die stone) are slowing down when pressure is applied. No we are not full force pushing on them. Is there anyone who has had this same problem?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Hey we have Red Wing lathes at our lab. Two of them however (when being used to score die stone) are slowing down when pressure is applied. No we are not full force pushing on them. Is there anyone who has had this same problem?
The clutch plate is wearing out, replace it and it should work fine.

M

MayDental19

Reaction score
The clutch plate is wearing out, replace it and it should work fine.
So I replaced the clutch and cleaned to collet on Wednesday, but there hasn't been an improvement. Anything else you know of that I can try?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
So I replaced the clutch and cleaned to collet on Wednesday, but there hasn't been an improvement. Anything else you know of that I can try?
Call Handler and see if they've got any suggestions.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
The quick chuck slips off the lathe a tiny bit with time. Handler will tell you how to adjust it. Takes less then 5 min.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I remember in the past of lightly sand papering the clutch plate on the motor side, as it can get smooth and glazed over time causing the plates to not friction fit together as well. I'd still make a phone call, just to be sure.

Last edited:
larsondental

larsondental

Reaction score
Try adjusting the adapter. That is the collar mounted on the motor. It has a set screw and two regular screws. Loosen them up with the quick chuck removed make sure the slot on the adaptor is at a 45 degree angle and the screw pattern is horizontal to the table. the clutch plate should have a 1/16 inch gap between the shaft and motor housing and the set screw on the clutch plate should be tight There are spacer washers (gold and blue) in the install kit to set the gap if needed.Reassemble without tightening the adaptor, test operation and move adaptor in (towards motor) or out to get proper function. then retighten adaptor screws.