Outsourced Model Printing Experiences

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
So I just got a printed model back from Argen. I don't do much outsourcing with these since most of mine are done through Itero. I wanted to ask DLN members who outsource their models if they have any preferred vendors they work with and why they chose that vendor.

I found the Argen model to be very accurate as far as the fits and contacts. Just as good as the Itero and also a lot cheaper but the surface quality leaves a lot to be desired...but so does Itero's.

The surface seems to have a chalky feel and you can actually remove a little of the surface when you scratch it. I tried to wash it off but it is stuck on there pretty good.

It would be nice to get a model with this much accuracy and also have a nice smooth surface without the chalky stuff. Has anybody found a vendor with a printer that can deliver this?

IMG_1667.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 73
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Argen also has the new carbon printers, try to call and see if you can have them print you a set if those models. This is how their model from the 3dsystems printers are done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Nice crown!!! I use Apex Dental Milling in Ann Arbor, they are pretty much local for me. They do a nice job, but also the models look similar to Argens. I'm curious about the Carbon models though...any pics of them? anyone?

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
I've heard German company Dreve prints terrific models.
They are apparently in the process of opening a production center in the US as well.
Has anyone tried them?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Ann Arbor baby, born and raised for 10yrs.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I've heard German company Dreve prints terrific models.
They are apparently in the process of opening a production center in the US as well.
Has anyone tried them?

I wouldn't doubt that Straumann is involved with them. My rep told me that Straumann will be printing models very soon....probably Dreve's models in reality. That should be interesting. Would love to see a photo of a dreve if someone has one.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Straumann is going to be releasing the rapid shape printer , they may use these printers or something else not sure as of yet.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Rapidshape or better Prodways by the way HS sell RS too, the white Argen looks like EOS 100 accuracy good but surface uhh

Attachments

• 2016-980x499.jpg
    2016-980x499.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 2.png
    2.png
    464 KB · Views: 77
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Rapidshape or better Prodways by the way HS sell RS too, the white Argen looks like EOS 100 accuracy good but surface uhh

Thanks for the photos Cadfan. The Dreve looks very nice. That's the kind of quality I would like to see in a printed model and hopefully it has the accuracy to go along.
Who made the yellow model?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Yellow is Rapidshape a lab Drewe is Prodways

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
So I just got a printed model back from Argen. I don't do much outsourcing with these since most of mine are done through Itero. I wanted to ask DLN members who outsource their models if they have any preferred vendors they work with and why they chose that vendor.

I found the Argen model to be very accurate as far as the fits and contacts. Just as good as the Itero and also a lot cheaper but the surface quality leaves a lot to be desired...but so does Itero's.

The surface seems to have a chalky feel and you can actually remove a little of the surface when you scratch it. I tried to wash it off but it is stuck on there pretty good.

It would be nice to get a model with this much accuracy and also have a nice smooth surface without the chalky stuff. Has anybody found a vendor with a printer that can deliver this?

View attachment 28114

Whip Mix models are far superior to what you've shown in the picture.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
So I went to the Whip Mix site and found this video which describes the 2 models they offer. It seems that the Argen models are like the Whipmix HDP (High Definition Plaster) models. They are supposed to give the feel and appearance of plaster. Not really my choice. I think I would like the HDR (High Definition Resin) for the smooth surface and detail. I just wonder if there is any difference in accuracy between the two.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Not the demo one we got, die was flopping around in the model like crazy!
Interesting. Mine was perfectly tight. Wonder if that is a representation of the repeat-ability or of the importance of curing properly.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Nobody likes a floppy model :p

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nice crown!!! I use Apex Dental Milling in Ann Arbor, they are pretty much local for me. They do a nice job, but also the models look similar to Argens. I'm curious about the Carbon models though...any pics of them? anyone?
I will post pics of my beta tests next week .

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
So I got the Whip Mix HDR models in. I like them better than the plaster texture but not real impressed with either as far as overall texture. Lots of funky stuff on the bottom. Fit of crown was good.

I still like the texture and appearance of the Dreve model that Cadfan posted. Nice and smooth. Best printed one I've seen yet.

IMG_1671.JPG IMG_1672.JPG

Top Bottom