New 3Shape Scanners

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
2 new scanners at Chicago - D500 - new body but same camera system as the current D700 but supplied with a "lite" software version bringing the cost much closer to Dental Wings

D800 (for Scott) looks like the D700 but with 5Mp cameras promising >15 micron resolution.

2012 software feature list is out including - replicating specific branded articulators with the virtual articulator - smile composer to "photoshop" designs into a picture of the patient - auto parallel for implant bridges and improved features on composite construction like press over Zr.

Looks like a lot more support for IOS, which could help them take off properly.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Good news.

That software seems unstopable at this point.

Glad to hear a higher resolution scanner is now offered.

I need to go check it out I guess?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I heard the D500 is limited to 500 scans per year.

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
They did offer that as an option on the D700 - can't find it on the price list I have - but for many small labs we only see 2 - 3 jobs a day so it may be an option for them - it was upgradeable on demand to full unlimited saves. All scanners come with a limited system trial for the options you did not buy as part of your package - usually 25 design saves for things like chrome partials / abutments / milled bars or impression scans.

Colin

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thanks Colin, I didn't know that about the trial options.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I was sooo close to signing on the line for a D700+...things keep changing so fast. Any info on prices, fees and capabilities of both the 500 and the 800??

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
I was sooo close to signing on the line for a D700+...things keep changing so fast. Any info on prices, fees and capabilities of both the 500 and the 800??

Purchased the 700 a few months ago, while that new camera sounds great, we've had great results. Things are always changing, but don't feel bad at all about the purchase. The 800 will just make a nice addition when the time comes. Also have Lava ST and a mill, and this has all made for a nice package.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score

It doesn't matter what you buy right now, it will be obsolete in six months. Fortunately 3 Shape just keeps updating the old scanners, so I have no doubt all of our 700's will be in servcie for a long long time. I'm not sure what needs to be improved on scanning technology at this point except maybe speed.

I think we'll be seeing hand held scanners very soon :D

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
A hand held scanner makes no sense in a lab enviroment. Hands free is more user friendly for the technician and far more efficient.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
A hand held scanner makes no sense in a lab enviroment. Hands free is more user friendly for the technician and far more efficient.

Of course you'd say that. You're my contarian. If it's fast enough, it makes perfect sense and doesn't take up valuable real estate.

What do you know? Get back in your igloo.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ask your employees if they would like to hold one of those Glidewell specials all day.

Stick your head in a freezer,your brain is fried.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
...and your bruxers look like poo poo.

C

charles007

Reaction score

Thanks nothing. I've been waiting since Sept 2010 for the new Swiss made iMetric/Delcam scanner to come in. Mine finally arrived several weeks ago and I've been to busy to pick it up and get trained. At the LMT meeting I had dinner with the president of Metric and Delcam and learned a new scanner will come out sometime next year. Their scanner I bought is a brand new model with only 3 of them in the US as of this week. They produce 50 units at a time, and I have one that was made from the 2nd or 3rd production run............
The lump in my throat lasted about 2 seconds...

If you keep waiting for the newest, most improved piece of cad/cam equipment to come in, you will never get your order in.....
You may want to wait til the IDF meeting in Germany, if you want to see something new.

Edit: I bet the improved camera will make it more accurate. They could also make the scanning area a little larger.....

Charles

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Hey Charles...I thought you were all done training a couple weeks ago. I was hoping to be getting some updates soon about how you were liking it! As tempting as your path sounded, I decided to skip Imetric. Theres just too much risk in my mind for being a tester.
Still...wish you the best and want to hear all about it.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I kinda think a hand held scanner would be faster.

We get tired of removing model from scanner for each seperate mesh (wax-up, prep, adjacent teeth, ridge piece, then opposing. What a PITA. A handheld scanner should be able to gather all data without removing the model pieces. I can't wait for that!

I'm experimenting with Bruxzir material this week. So far so good!

I kind think a molar sintered with weird shrinkage. The margin is wavy and open in an area. This unit has massive Zirconia on one side, then thin on buccal. The buccal margin looks distorted. We are remilling it a few times from original design data to see if we get three different fitting units? This means nothing yet. Too new to have any real results or data. The color looks good. The material milled nice and clean. No chips no cracks. We milled it kinda fast just for fun.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It'll be a 2 hander by the end of the day.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Hey Charles...I thought you were all done training a couple weeks ago. I was hoping to be getting some updates soon about how you were liking it! As tempting as your path sounded, I decided to skip Imetric. There's just too much risk in my mind for being a tester.
Still...wish you the best and want to hear all about it.

Hey User Bob....ask Rob about the zirconia coping I showed him at LMT (marginal fit) it was scanned with the Delcam scanner...
Don't ask in front of Scott !!! my margins are better :p:p

Bob... every heard of Delcam/ cam software....its their Cad software..... Not sure how much that scanner weights, took two of us to move.. bulky and heavy ! NO PLASTIC .... not even the die holder. Model/ 9 die holder locks in, its an magnet, and will not shift.

Training got held up because of the firewall setting... and IT- cable issues in the lab over the weekend. Will update in 2 weeks.

J

Jeff Brown

Reaction score
Should be getting my D-700 in a few weeks

user name

user name

Reaction score
Hey Rob...So Charles pours a die in his coping to show off margins..you really got his back on that??!

doug

doug

Reaction score
what's the difference between the D700 and the D710?