Used D700 or new D500??? Please help

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I really don't think so. The computing power of CPU's doubles every two years. When designing scanners and CAD it make logical sense to use the full power of current computer technology. As the CPU's become more powerful it makes sense that scanners and CAD will follow suite. There is likely no way a D2000 could have run (as it will now) on a two year old CPU.
an interesting blog there bob, good points.

but the same scan tech will be working 9-5, they don't punch out after the cases are scanned. the 42k in savings is really a misnomer - yes its saved scan time but its spent anyway by having the tech around all day doing all sorts of other things.

but 3shape is also far from perfect- theres time needed to be spent adjusting the bite scans, adjusting the dies if reductions need to happen, generally clearing up case problems like shade, or hazy material requests, and working with design and porcelain techs for feedback on case management.

that's not saved 42k really.

further i'd expect 3shape continues the cheaper line of scanners to penetrate markets with low income labs; such as how user nvarras just got a d700. theres no way they'd afford a scanner like the d900/2000. it demands too high a sticker value. but the quality of the d700 allows 3shape to be part of their business model, without sacrificing a huge gap in quality.

its for that reason i expect the 700+ line to be part of 3shape's business model for quite a few more years yet. they might even go out of style but they are rugged durable and dependable scanners; workhorses that consistently prove their worth. much like the dwx50 - they may look cheap and be cheap but they return their value quickly and work for a long time without need for much service if taken care of properly.

i doubt its much of planned 'obsolescence' as much as planned longevity that only proves the mark of quality coming from the brand; never a bad thing.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Luke, Good post. I agree on some point and don't buy in on some others. Honestly, the $42k savings is real. The cost of operating a much faster scanner is obviously lower as it relates to labor only. Obviously, you can have that 9-5 scan staff doing a lot of other things instead of waiting for a scanner. Generating revinue doing other jobs. Or, you can have a part time person operating the scanner and punch out, go home once the cases are all scanned.
On the other hand, I am in total agreement that just because there are new models does not mean the old ones are obsolete. I'm still running a D700 in my lab as well as a D800. As you had stated, they are work horses. I have them setup so one scan person uses both scanners simultaneously. So I'm getting two cases scanner every 5-6 minutes.
In some regards this is somewhat like cell phones. My older iPhone worked fine when i decided to get the new 6 plus. Is there a big difference? Yes, but it basically does the same things as the old one. Am I happy with my 6 plus purchase? Definitely. New technology tends to be very impressive.
On the quality side, I see 3Shape as being a well build, high quality scanner. About a year ago I was looking at a bunch of different scanners from manufacturers all over the world and found several flimsy, mostly plastic devices selling for a lot of money. We support a lot of 3Shape systems and very rarely have mechanical issues and some of these are now four plus years old.

N

nvarras7

Reaction score
I had posted a blog a few weeks ago about scanner obsolescence. I think you might find it interesting.
You can find it here.
http://cap-us.com/2015/05/07/understanding-when-lab-scanners-become-obsolete/
Thanks Bob, it actually was very helpful! I'm actually am buying time with the D700 and keeping a few demanding customers happy with things I wouldn't be able to do without the scanner. It does everything I need as a 3 man lab for the moment, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it wont have any age related problems....

Last edited:
Top Bottom