Instarisa - Is anyone using Instarisa 3D capturing with 3Shape or Exocad?

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I have a client that wants me to invest in Exocad and take the course for Instarisa. I have 3Shape and have used it for many years. Is it compatible with 3Shape? Does it work better with Exocad? Any help would be appreciated.

Wes

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
This scanner is for facial scans and bite only correct? You can use is at a tabletop scanner but its not like an Imetric 4d that you can scan implants with? Should just output stl and both 3shape and exo have face scanning modules... not sure if you need it for 3shape, should just be able to load it as an preop scan.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yes it's compatible with 3shape and every other .stl editor on the planet. I'm curious what he wants you to do with it?...we see it being used for dentures and full arch restoration cases in my lab. I know @JohnWilson is using it for all-on-x cases using a fiduciary, pretty cool stuff.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I have a client that wants me to invest in Exocad and take the course for Instarisa. I have 3Shape and have used it for many years. Is it compatible with 3Shape? Does it work better with Exocad? Any help would be appreciated.

Wes
No sir, you have a customer that wants you to spend your money for his personal benefit while you assume the risk of ROI.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
Yes it's compatible with 3shape and every other .stl editor on the planet. I'm curious what he wants you to do with it?...we see it being used for dentures and full arch restoration cases in my lab. I know @JohnWilson is using it for all-on-x cases using a fiduciary, pretty cool stuff.
He purchased it for full mouth implant cases. We have done many through the years together, but it has been frustrating at times.

I am local, so I go to his office and mount the models with the temps that had been worn for a while and the occlusion and esthetics have been worked out.

This would sometimes lead to another set of temps because the initial bite, midline, or whatever would be a little off from the records that I was given initially from them.
I would then copy the final temps with my scanner for the final prosthesis.

Some patients have been easy to work with, but others have asked for changes to the temps, then change back to what we had before.
He has been sold on the fact that this will eliminate the trouble with several sets of temps.
He also has been told that this will make things easier and faster, hence cheaper.

There is nothing easy about these cases in my opinion.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
No sir, you have a customer that wants you to spend your money for his personal benefit while you assume the risk of ROI.
I am finding out that they, as well as others, recommend Exocad simply because of the speed of doing larger cases. Apparently 3Shape has to think about it longer as we go through the steps.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
We are an instarisa certified lab. We use exocad though

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have hundreds of arches completed using InstaRisa protocols, I utilize the denture designer inside of 3shape with presurgical records, I combine implant coordinates and provide a prototype via the WaxupBridge path to combine my presurgical wax up and convert to a fixed hybrid. I have made for myself a library using the InstaRisa parts to use it inside of 3shape but honestly the Exocad path may be easier for most non power users.
We still use Exocad for the vast majority of our alignments but I can design much nicer and faster patterns in 3shape so I have developed my own path to the finish line. The InstaRisa system is much more than just a facial scanner, its is exceptionally versatile set of concepts to add to what ever cad system you want to use to be very creative with your designs, but most importantly it WORKS when used correctly.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I have hundreds of arches completed using InstaRisa protocols, I utilize the denture designer inside of 3shape with presurgical records, I combine implant coordinates and provide a prototype via the WaxupBridge path to combine my presurgical wax up and convert to a fixed hybrid. I have made for myself a library using the InstaRisa parts to use it inside of 3shape but honestly the Exocad path may be easier for most non power users.
We still use Exocad for the vast majority of our alignments but I can design much nicer and faster patterns in 3shape so I have developed my own path to the finish line. The InstaRisa system is much more than just a facial scanner, its is exceptionally versatile set of concepts to add to what ever cad system you want to use to be very creative with your designs, but most importantly it WORKS when used correctly.
Thank you so much John!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
That's very interesting John, are you performing the scans in lab yourself? Seems to be be pricey for Dr.'s to purchase and follow protocols properly...courses, lack of appropriate time etc. I can see Pt arriving at your lab and all protocols met in a short amount of time though. We have some docs that simply can't take a decent pic with a present day super phone camera. Makes me Leary for Dr.'s to spend, or suggest a 20-25K ( We often need chains to drag out some Pt esthetic related guidance) unit plus training at this moment but realize this will be Standard protocol in the not too distant future for sure. Your last three words give me chills though, been there, done that for decades as well. We use smile creator- Exocad and a 2 D photo is helpful but totally funky when trying to get a feel in 3D. A valid 3D interface is the Future but getting there may be a bit slow for our clients. We presently make a snap on proposal and gather Incisal edge position, facial planes and lock it in. Post-op any adjustments becomes pre,-op guide.
Glad you're up and running with it, gives me confidence going forward absolutely. Just Fascinating! Thanks for your input as always John!🙂