Intra Oral Scan Tech Numbers

J

Justin Wright

Reaction score
We have a department dedicated to preparing IOS files for design; marking the margins, setting bites in 3shape, cleaning up distortion, and designing models to print. Does anyone else have this? If so, how many cases does the average tech process in a 8 hour day?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We have a department dedicated to preparing IOS files for design; marking the margins, setting bites in 3shape, cleaning up distortion, and designing models to print. Does anyone else have this? If so, how many cases does the average tech process in a 8 hour day?
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

And I have no idea.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
well, it depends on the mix of io scan types, and whether I'm designing crowns and models or just models, but if it's just models and there aren't too many 3M scans in there, 20 an hour. At least, that's what I did yesterday.

J

Justin Wright

Reaction score
well, it depends on the mix of io scan types, and whether I'm designing crowns and models or just models, but if it's just models and there aren't too many 3M scans in there, 20 an hour. At least, that's what I did yesterday.

It is typically a balance of 3M, Trios, and iTero. Each case has to be margin marked, then imported into 3shape to set the bite, sculpt distortion, and design the model. The crowns are not designed at this stage.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
It is typically a balance of 3M, Trios, and iTero. Each case has to be margin marked, then imported into 3shape to set the bite, sculpt distortion, and design the model. The crowns are not designed at this stage.
best case scenario 1 tech 5 per hour.

also, 3shape doesnt work like that. you start by designing prosthesis, and finish by designing models. best you can do is have this tech start the case by trimming scans, fixing plane, and bite and then save and close.

unless you intent on creating duplicate orders to segregate models from prosthetics.

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
we don't mark the margins in the scanner software (3M and itero). We export as open stl and do all the marking in 3shape at the time of design. Typically, we check for scans, print out rx, download files, set up order in 3shape, and import files. The only files that require clean up before import are the 3M scans (because they're crap). Then the cases are scheduled into out lab tracking software by our office staff. When the cases are returned to us from the office, the cases are distributed to designers who design the restoration first if there is one (and if we don't want to check the physical model first for some reason) and then the model.

J

Justin Wright

Reaction score
best case scenario 1 tech 5 per hour.

also, 3shape doesnt work like that. you start by designing prosthesis, and finish by designing models. best you can do is have this tech start the case by trimming scans, fixing plane, and bite and then save and close.

unless you intent on creating duplicate orders to segregate models from prosthetics.

Thanks for the info! If you save and close the case at the die interface step, you will be able to reopen in Model Builder before the crown is designed.

kristian

kristian

Reaction score
I run a department that does just that; receive scans from various systems, clean them up, mark margins, build models, print and post process. CAD/CAM department does the restoration design and manufacturing afterwards. It's like plaster room and die trimming, but digital.

A very nice case will take 5-10 minutes on the digital side, and about the same on post processing of the models.