how to debond ti base from abutment ?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
probalos!!!!

ti base not inserted properly, bonded incorrectly. how do i remove it without damaging anything ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
place it on a tray and raise it to the muffle on idle temp.

cement will powderize after a few minutes. High shine the ti base to remove any surface discolouration.

enjoy the aroma.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what temp is that specifically? few diff ovens and various idles.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
have had it idling for a while now, no effect

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
6-700F in burnout out for a couple hrs.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
place it on a tray and raise it to the muffle on idle temp.

cement will powderize after a few minutes. High shine the ti base to remove any surface discolouration.

enjoy the aroma.

What cement are you using? I do not find that it degrades much this way. We have better luck with a technique I stole from Mark Jackson

We laser weld stainless lab analogs (protection analogs for polishing) on a screw driver handle and we screw the crown on to them. We heat the shaft of the screw driver with a blazer torch that transfer the heat to the ti base and then have a towel to hold and twist the crown.

My ass still puckers when we get a big case back to do something stupid like add contact or stain darker

I want to make these and sell them as I know they would sell but its not my idea and I would never pirate someones idea.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Yep... I try to do an hour or so at 600c. I usually forget about it though, so I would say realistically I have been doing 4-5 hrs @600c. No ill effects, and the cement powders right out.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
We do 475C, 10 min hold with vac...slow cool... It will carbonize the organic components of the cement... it goes for another 10 mins into the ultrasonic to help breaking up the residue...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
thank you everyone you are of tremendous help

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
i don't think you want to affect the properties of the Titanium... so the lowest you can possibly go is best. We use rely x and are able to go 350 closed for 10min and get only a minor tarnish on the base.

don't forget to sandblast the base when re-cementing .. i also blast inside the crown lightly

CRWNMKR

CRWNMKR

Reaction score
I start at 200c and raise to 400c and hold for 5min

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I'm going to try the porc oven next, much quicker!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Mark Jackson uses a blowtorch but we are the mad scientists LOL.:rolleyes:

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
yeah same with rkm here. 10 minutes at 400c idle temp sometimes the require a driver pushing onto the base from the top of the abutment to separate but so quick and easy that way...we are using the ivoclar hybrid cement. not sure if that changes much.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
yeah same with rkm here. 10 minutes at 400c idle temp sometimes the require a driver pushing onto the base from the top of the abutment to separate but so quick and easy that way...we are using the ivoclar hybrid cement. not sure if that changes much.
what cement? is that the name of it? I can't get panavia burned out at all!

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
The Ivoclar cement is called multi-link and it usually comes with the abutments solutions kit but is also available as a stand alone product. Expensive too but consistently good.
I put it in idle temp at 500C close door and let sit for ten min at 500C and powderizes the cement very nicely then just take a screwdriver and lightly push insert out. Then polish tarnish off the ti base before recementation.