Heat cure versus cold cure partials

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Anyone want to weigh in now with opinions or newer datasets?

Trying to find a good and fast way to explain to a licensee why heat cure and cold cure have different purposes and it's less than ideal to use a pourable cold cure for a definitive prosthesis.

Or have things changed enough in materials science that I'm now wrong?
I dont believe the formulas have changed much since then.

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
Can't speak on the cytotoxicity or color stability of the materials, but I will say the new Dentsply high impact pour acrylic (HIPA) has surprised me with respect to its mechanical properties. I was an Ivocap koolaid drinker, so I had pretty high standard.

Was anticipating a 1-3% failure rate, instead it was nearly 10x less than that... with a big sample size.

Heat cure is still a focus of ours as the non-mechanical factors are still important to some docs/patients.

It has been a dozen years since this post was started, was honestly hoping for more improvement by now.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Can't speak on the cytotoxicity or color stability of the materials, but I will say the new Dentsply high impact pour acrylic (HIPA) has surprised me with respect to its mechanical properties. I was an Ivocap koolaid drinker, so I had pretty high standard.

Was anticipating a 1-3% failure rate, instead it was nearly 10x less than that... with a big sample size.

Heat cure is still a focus of ours as the non-mechanical factors are still important to some docs/patients.

It has been a dozen years since this post was started, was honestly hoping for more improvement by now.
I am totally an ivoclar koolaid drinker, its a fine wine. I grind on dentures made elsewhere and they feel soft.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
12 years later my ivocap is still working, it sure makes me smile to see these old threads reappear, while I stand by my original post technology shure makes these challenges less. Milling perfect teeth for partials is way easier than grinding on denture teeth to make fit around a frame.

Time does change ALL things but that doesn't mean we need to forget and neglect what we learned from the past.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
12 years later my ivocap is still working, it sure makes me smile to see these old threads reappear, while I stand by my original post technology shure makes these challenges less. Milling perfect teeth for partials is way easier than grinding on denture teeth to make fit around a frame.

Time does change ALL things but that doesn't mean we need to forget and neglect what we learned from the past.
I love the footprint of the ivobase, but I think cap is just a better process with better acrylic.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I love the footprint of the ivobase, but I think cap is just a better process with better acrylic.
You can use Ivocap acrylic in the ivobase, or at least you used to be able to. You just have to have the vibrator to mix the acrylic, that they don't sell anymore. We never switched to ivobase because unless you have more than one machine you can only process one at a time.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The cap vibrator is ~2k and could theoretically break at any second. It is a sturdy machine, but without the vibrator the whole system is useless. They don't make new vibrators. You can use the ivocap acrylic in ivobase, I dont need to process more than 4 dentures a day.

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
The cap vibrator is ~2k and could theoretically break at any second. It is a sturdy machine, but without the vibrator the whole system is useless. They don't make new vibrators. You can use the ivocap acrylic in ivobase, I dont need to process more than 4 dentures a day.
Jerry-rigged paint mixer, I don't recommend it due to the hell of a racket it makes, but it works in a pinch.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Jerry-rigged paint mixer, I don't recommend it due to the hell of a racket it makes, but it works in a pinch.
The 6-8 dollar capsule is factored into the cost so not my problem.