My partials with flexible framework

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I have a try to make a removable partial with our flexible framework. It is my first time to make it so I'd like to know if you have any suggestions about it.
I design the framework and then milled it from the flexible disc. Polish and then flask, just like what I do to make the partials with metal.
I'm not sure what the patients feel about it. Maybe it is not nice enough, but I think it looks good for a beginner. 😁
Look forward to your suggestions. It would help me make better flexible partials!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Looks very good for beginner. Not much different than Expert.
I would advise not to promote/ mass produce 100s of them until you have had some in the field to is discover their shortcomings.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Have your dog chew on one for awhile..

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The prosthesis certainly looks the part. BigJ is right they aren't the best thing to put in the mouth. I personally don't make flexibles, I have had the idea of injecting around wires that will actually function as a tissue stop. I don't know enough about the process or have the equipment to do it so I didn't.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Looks very good for beginner. Not much different than Expert.
I would advise not to promote/ mass produce 100s of them until you have had some in the field to is discover their shortcomings.
Thank you, sir. Because some of our customers don't like the metal partials and they want to try the no-metal one. I'm also not sure about it and just have a try.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
The prosthesis certainly looks the part. BigJ is right they aren't the best thing to put in the mouth. I personally don't make flexibles, I have had the idea of injecting around wires that will actually function as a tissue stop. I don't know enough about the process or have the equipment to do it so I didn't.
Thank you. I also dont recommend flexible ones for most cases but some customers like it, and that is why I try.
Injecting is a good idea, combining the strength and non-metal. But Ithink it would be much thicker in the wires or other areas. And it is difficult to find a equipment to do it.😩

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Patients would like you to regrow their teeth with tea tree oil shampoo.

Flexible are good if they meet certain criteria. Most failures happen because of bad application.

For your particular situation, you'll find the joint between the acrylic and framework is the weak link. I could be wrong, but I think that is
Myerson Visiclear or similar polyolefin??

There is only a mechanical bond. More importantly do you have the ability to repair broken clasps or torn saddles without having to remill a new framework. Your problem won't be delivery, but will come back as warranty/ maintenance.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Patients would like you to regrow their teeth with tea tree oil shampoo.

Flexible are good if they meet certain criteria. Most failures happen because of bad application.

For your particular situation, you'll find the joint between the acrylic and framework is the weak link. I could be wrong, but I think that is
Myerson Visiclear or similar polyolefin??

There is only a mechanical bond. More importantly do you have the ability to repair broken clasps or torn saddles without having to remill a new framework. Your problem won't be delivery, but will come back as warranty/ maintenance.
Could you share some information about the bad applications? I'm have little experience about it, so I'm not sure in which application the flexible ones are good.
For the material, it is nylon resin, a little different with Myerson Visiclear. This one is more rigid, but it is still difficult to repair and I don't know how to solve it. I would like to prepare extra partials for customers to replace.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I don't think that is a nylon classification of your framework. There are very few clear thermoplastic milling discs available, so I would be very interested in its brand if it's not VisiClear. But again those look very good..👍 But moving on,

Well think of it like this. A thermoplastic flexible is not an acrylic replacement, nor a metal replacement. It is it's own category. So using a flow chart method, you are presented with a case that has missing teeth and want to choose the best appliance. So given the versatility and experience of metal and and acrylic, let's skip and see if a flexible is applicable.

1) does this case have sufficient VDO for strong mechanical retention of teeth?
2) does this case have singular anterior teeth?
3) does this case have at least 3 abutment teeth for retention, avoiding bilateral distal extensions unless we use a palatal strap or palate?
4) Which flexible materials and there properties are best suited for this application?

Another mistake I see with techs choosing thermoplastics is they hang up on brand names. Oh TCS is better than Duraflex, or Snow Rock is better than Acetal.... When you say that, you think your comparing Pepsi vs Coke vs RC, but really it's Coke vs Orange Crush vs Mountain Dew.

There are roughly 5 different classifications of thermoplastics each with unique properties. And each company has 1 or more they market under their brand name. The Brand is not important, but the properties of the generic thermoplastic is what's important. And their pros and cons.

Last edited:
Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
I don't think that is a nylon classification of your framework. There are very few clear thermoplastic milling discs available, so I would be very interested in its brand if it's not VisiClear. But moving on....

Well think of it like this. A thermoplastic flexible is not an acrylic replacement, nor a metal replacement. It is it's own category. So using a flow chart method, you are presented with a case that has missing teeth and want to choose the best appliance. So given the versatility and experience of metal and and acrylic, let's skip and see if a flexible is applicable.

1) does this case have sufficient VDO for strong mechanical retention of teeth?
2) does this case have singular anterior teeth?
3) does this case have at least 3 abutment teeth for retention, avoiding bilateral distal extensions unless we use a palatal strap or palate?
4) Which flexible materials and there properties are best suited for this application?

Another mistake I see with techs choosing thermoplastics is they hang up on brand names. Oh TCS is better than Duraflex, or Snow Rock is better than Acetal.... When you say that, you think your comparing Pepsi vs Coke vs RC, but really it's Coke vs Orange Crush vs Mountain Dew.

There are roughly 5 different classifications of thermoplastics each with unique properties. And each company has 1 or more they market under their brand name. The Brand is not important, but the properties of the generic thermoplastic is what's important. And their pros and cons.
So professional. You are definitely an expert in flexible field, sir. I think I just know little about the flexible applications. I dont have much experience as you, so it would be a long time to improve for me. Thanks for your teaching.
For the brand you mentioned, here is the information from theri newsletter. I think you could google the "nobilcam flexible disc" to find more information. Hope it could help you.
1666322928526.png
And anyone have videos, books or essays about it to recommend? It would be helpful for an inexperienced person. Thank you all! ;)

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Nobilium's flexible system was called Flex Star. It was a nylon/ Valplast clone. As good as any of them. I own one of the manual injectors because it was built like a tank compared to TCS manual injector.
However your material is a different product I didn't know they made toward the end.

At first glance it looks like a VisiClear clone, however I'm going to do a a little research.

Now to be clear, you acrylic is mechanically attached to the framework, correct? You did not use a fusing/ bonding liquid?

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Nobilium's flexible system was called Flex Star. It was a nylon/ Valplast clone. As good as any of them. I own one of the manual injectors because it was built like a tank compared to TCS manual injector.
However your material is a different product I didn't know they made toward the end.

At first glance it looks like a VisiClear clone, however I'm going to do a a little research.

Now to be clear, you acrylic is mechanically attached to the framework, correct? You did not use a fusing/ bonding liquid?
Yeah, I make some mesh to attach them mechanically and no bonding liquid, just like the metal partials.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
So professional. You are definitely an expert in flexible field, sir. I think I just know little about the flexible applications. I dont have much experience as you, so it would be a long time to improve for me. Thanks for your teaching.
An expert is an idiot who did something wrong 1,000 times until he figured out the right way..
OR
Just skipped all that, paid a dental school couple 100k, and now has a certificate proving he's an idiot errr an expert.