Hard Soft nightguards

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
A long time ago I was asked to do Talon nightguards and I hated them. Seemed very difficult to keep thin and strong.

Then dual laminates came out and made them rather easy but still not a perfect solution.

I am now been approached by a new client to go back to a Talon like system and I really would rather not deal with them. Is there another hard soft combo material I should know about?

What do you guys use?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
The durasoft from Great lakes contains Bisphenol the hard soft from Glidewell salesclerk state it does not contain bisphenol A, but like the durasoft it cannot be sold in Canada.
I hated the Talon back in the day as well (teh tubes of sticky honey, the expensive caulk gun, & the browing if arepair is done). I have been very successful with CLEARSplint from Astron (I'm just the 1 man basement lab but do about 290 per year). It is a hard flexible material and comes in Flexible and AJ formula a slightly harder but still flexible material.
There is also IMPAX from CMP another flasked & processed. The two from Greatlakes & Glidwell are in round suckdown form.

Last edited:
araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
I sometimes use flexite supreme or ultra. can be made thin and strong, and has a bit of give for a good grip.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I've used the Impax back in the day. It's a little too persnickity for my taste... I don't get much call for the hard/soft guards, but when I do I just make a hard with relief (hard stops n the cusp tips) and line it with versacryl clear. Extra effort, but the result is predictable.

Betalab

Betalab

Reaction score
We make a butt load and I to was looking for a strong one. Erkodent make a blank called erkoloc pro. Ranges in thickness from 2-5 mm and works every time and my clients gobble it up especially in the pro blu. All acrylics bond to it if you need to build guidance or thickness into it and scotch guard rubbers finish them really well.
Erkoloc-Pro

Last edited:
nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Clearsplint here too. Although I have been thinking of trying the Ivocap thermoplastic material but its a little expensive to buy a kit to just try it out.

Pat_L

Pat_L

Reaction score
We do mostly the Impak thermoflex here. Waxed up and processed, but nice when done. I find it a little thicker than the standard nightguard, but not by much.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried Visiclear for a night guard? I wonder if it would work?

J

joose

Reaction score
The only material I will even use for Nightguards anymore is ClearSplint from Astron. The remakes and adjustments have been reduced to almost zero since I started using it. Self adjusting and it has just the right amount of flex and still be hard. Minimal block out to undercuts if needed at all. The stuff is almost indestructable. I will never do a hard/soft NG again. They're just a bad idea to start with, too high of a remake factor. Soft inner material encompessed by a thin layer of hard acrylic screams trouble, especially as thin as these docs want NG's to be. The hard layer always cracks from extreme clinchers or patients playing with them. The processed ones are never worth the money or labor put into making them and the dual laminates are just cheap junk. Anytime a doc requests one I explain all the disadvantages with them, and send em a ClearSplint brochure, make em one and they're hooked. I wont even make all hard acrylic NG's anymore, theyre either too tight, too loose, or they crack. Not worth the hassle. Its either ClearSplint or nothing for me.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Nichole I have 2 visiclear splints out they are a lot of work but for my 2 commodities brokers they have fit the bill. I charge 2x the clearsplint for them, but I can make them thinner with the note that they canot be repaired or added to, & I did them with a facebow to get the waxup perfect, they are not as clear as clearsplint.
oldrepair.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
Astron is good.
half days work.

ai179.photobucket.com_albums_w306_zulujim_Product_20pics_Splints.jpg
ai179.photobucket.com_albums_w306_zulujim_Product_20pics_Splints.jpg

Last edited:
troutsnoggle

troutsnoggle

Reaction score
I use Dentsply's Eclipse heat and seat material and the dentists love it. It's light curable so you just form the uncured material over the teeth by hand, tap in the occlusion and vwalaa! You have very little to finish if you form it by hand correctly. You cure two separate layer. The inner is soft and the outer is hard and very strong. Talon was horrible unless you enjoy chemicals burning your skin and eyes. I used Astron's Clear Splint but the dentist who I do the most nightguards for says that these even fit better. Astron's Clear Splint is good too but you MUST be no more than 2 degrees of the curing temp or it will fail so make sure you have an accurate curing oven if you try it. Don't try to cure Dentsply's Eclipse material with anything other than Dentsply's Enterra unit, which is the indicated curing unit for the material. Anything else is too weak and will not cure the material. I tried that and failed! It's an expensive curing machine but it's worth buying. The results are fantastic and they are super easy to make. Dentsply will send a rep to do a demo at your lab if you request it. I highly recommend it.

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Me to I use the ECLIPSE but the clear hard no soft its easy and verry accurate fit.

J

Jmichael

Reaction score
What do you guys charge for those Astron splints? PM me if you would rather not post publicly. I do some clear hard splints/niteguards with Fricke's clear heat cure material & 2 wire clasps, fit it back to a dupe model after processing. I also mount these on a Denar. I charge 125.00 for them.

troutsnoggle

troutsnoggle

Reaction score
The soft-resilient layer should be very accurate too but if thhard with no soft works for you then that's great.

T

tap

Reaction score
DentureDude
Those look really nice. Do you process them directly to the doctor's models or do you have to reset a few teeth before processing. If these are night guards I'm assuming there isn't much request for resetting teeth. You can do about 4 in a half day? How many times a month do you do that?

B

Beckz79

Reaction score
DentureDude, I use both clearsplint and eclipse depending on which doc prefers what...do you send out clearsplint to your doctors that specify "hard only" nightguard ? I would like to but I'm afraid of them complaining that there's flex..but they fit so good ...

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Beckz79 when ordering your CLEARSplint, ask Doug or Bob jr for a bottle of the AJ Formula liquid (Tech liquid),it will make a harder splint still with flex (using same powder). Same temp and mix is 8ml to 15ml powder or if chilled 15ml to 30ml powder to pour 2.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
DentureDude
Those look really nice. Do you process them directly to the doctor's models or do you have to reset a few teeth before processing. If these are night guards I'm assuming there isn't much request for resetting teeth. You can do about 4 in a half day? How many times a month do you do that?

yes direct to the model. i have never reset teeth for this.
yes i can do 4 in a half day.. but sometimes my days get long. :)

no that does not happen very often. but this is a popular nightguard.
i dont offer any other.

Top Bottom