E.Max Ring Split...

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I'm using E.max ring, E.max reusable plunger and formula 1 investment.. following all recommended procedures and my ring comes out of my pressing oven split from top to bottom! 3 Times this has happened. Im using a pro press 100. Could it be too high of pressure? Its set at about 6.8 bars.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooooooo High. IMHO might want to check with The Lab Guy. I use an Auto Press and I'm at 5.5 bars.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Im using lab guys exact parameters... :confused:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

You get something like that, just call me, that's over 75 dollars in ingots and the time, which is worth a ton more in my book. Let us know if you have any other problems.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I'm using E.max ring, E.max reusable plunger and formula 1 investment.. following all recommended procedures and my ring comes out of my pressing oven split from top to bottom! 3 Times this has happened. Im using a pro press 100. Could it be too high of pressure? Its set at about 6.8 bars.

set your pressure to 5 bars of pressure. base temp 700C, high temp of 940C, 60C rise per minute, vacuum pulling the entire program, 9 minute press time, 15 minute hold time for a 100 gm. ring & 25 min for a 200 gram ring. when something keeps breaking like this something is going on. your using all different materials other than the manufacturers which can make things hard to troubleshoot, but hopefully the new pressing parameters get you pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:
desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I had a hunch it was the pressure setting, I'll lower it to just under 5 bars and try again. I have a few old already pressed out ingots, maybe i could test it on those? anybody try that before?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yep, I've done that, grind off the flash and the sides a tad and it will work.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Ok, gave it a go again tonight and same results. Ground down a used ingot for the test. Ingot pressed but ring was split down one side from top to bottom with a few other cracks from the top to about mid way down the ring. Turned pressure down to about 4.5 BARS.
So i guess Ill give a rundown of what im using.
Formula 1 investment, 15 -20 min bench set then in the oven @ 850 degrees c. for 35 minutes or so. Then run up the pressing oven and stick the ring in when its ready. I double checked my pressing oven parameters tonight and its correct to lab guys.
The pressing oven had 0 muffle hours on it when i bought it. Nothing has ever been pressed in it, although it was a "used" oven. Sat in a guys house for 2 years, never used. Im using the tray and ring base that came with the pro press 100. I see no reason why it wouldnt work correctly, ring fits perfectly in it. So what gives? could the pressing oven itself have a problem?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
That's crazy, because I've never had a ring split with e.max, seen it a couple times with empress back in the day so I know what you're talking about, but not with e.max. Something isn't going right though. I know you are using the press table, but are you using the ceramic insert that sits into the press table also when you press?

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Yes, it fits the 100g ring perfectly. Is there some way to find out if its the oven causing a problem?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Just curious, did you calibrate the over prior to using it. I know you said it's "New" but maybe it needs some TLC.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I assumed you calibrated your oven,,,,,,,,,and not knowing anything about your oven, are there any updates you can down load, (if possible) that might make a difference ?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Good question Doug, I didn't even think about calibration.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Rob, I calibrated my new Ivoclar EP 5000 the day I took it out of the box. Two years have passed now,and I've now calibrated 3 times total and had ZERO bad pressings.
I'll never know if it needed calibrating, but it was well worth the time and cost.
Now I need to download the updates, rather than preach to the choir.

Charles

user name

user name

Reaction score
Only because Ive made obvious mistakes myself would i suggest somthing like mistakenly using the wrong liquid with your investment. Other than that, sounds like youre pressing a cold ingot. Calibration is important, but Im curious what the state of the pressing was. Did it appear the split happened prior to the mold getting filled, like a cold ingot, or continuing to press after the mold is full? Another dumb question, but does your plunger drop easily all the way down to the ingot before you press? Is this a new problem where youve previously had good results or is there a new component in the mix?

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I have not calibrated it - That may be the next step. Well i have another idea - The formula 1 I'm using is just a sample box that was packaged in 2007 - now they are in individual bags but still thats kind of old. BUT the ring seems fine, its solid when i put it into the oven, no visible cracks or anything, this stuff is hard. The last one pressed out the crown but when the ring cracked it sent flash and junk all down the side of the pressing so it was unusable.

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
why not try some of the e.max investment? they have a speedy set and a overnight version. investment from 2007 could definetely cause you some issues (especially expired liquid).

C

charles007

Reaction score
Throw out the investment, period.....and the liquid,,,,,,,,, I know the liquid is bad without even looking at it...... Its cloudy with crystals in the bottom.....

Shame on you my friend ,,,,, never use old products, and Please calibrate, and keep calibrating at least every 6 months, or if anything changes beyond the norm.

Everyone is sitting on pins and needles.... Let us know when you solve this problem !
Charles

Last edited:
Top Bottom